Close

Default Fuel system help

Ok guys my last build was a 93 mustang 408 I kept the fuel injection stuff. I am familar with fuel injection. My new build is a 363 carbed fairmont. It should make in the 400-500 hp range. To be honest I do not know much about carbs or fuel systems for carbs. What do I need to make this system work. Can I use the stock tank and sending unit and then go to aftermarket lines? What size lines? Where do I get them? How about the fuel pressure regulator? And Should I put an electric pump in or manual? Thanks for the help

FEP Member

At that power level and for future power increases, I would recommend sumping the stock tank, 1/2" line to the front. An electric pump mounted at or below tank level and a good pre-filter (I like the screw-on filter type). This way you can retain the stock sender. The lines/hose will depend if your local drag strip safety team are hard-nosed or not. NHRA has rules about what type and how much hose you can use. I used the black nylon braided hose and 1/2 aluminum line, all from Summit Racing. I have a Holley blue pump and a Holley regulator. So to recap, stock tank sumped, 1/2 id rubber hose to a good pre-filter, rubber hose to fuel pump (mounted low to keep pump supplied with fuel), short rubber hose to 1/2" aluminum line to front of the car, rubber hose to regulator and rubber from regulator to carb bowls.

And all this assumes you're using gasoline. E85 or methanol will require some different pieces.

You can see the pre-filter by the spare tire well.

Fuel pump near the right tailpipe.

Fuel line running along the floor pan.

The regulator where the battery was and lines to the carb.

Hope that helps!
    Lon

Thank you for the help. I like the look of this system. Do you have any pics of the tank? I'm guessing I would have to

FEP Member

Unfortunately the previous owner removed the factory tank in favor of a fuel cell. So no pics of the tank. I wish it had the stocker. Of course my exhaust would have to be rerouted, lol.

Lon

Anybody use a certain brand sump? I see there is an aeromotive and a competetion eng. one out there. Also anybody have any links on installing lines and pumps? I've never done this before and I want to make sure I do it right the first time. I plan on buying a new tank, and having the sump welded in.