Close

Default 1979 mustang pace car battery cables

Can anyone post photos of factory correct battery cables (positive & negative) for a 1979 mustang pace car with 5.0L V-8? I also need the correct ford part numbers for each if possible. Thanks!

if it wasnt pouring out i would go snap a pic of mine, if it clears up before the sun goes down ill post one

Thanks to anyone who may be able to help me out.

FEP Supporter

Out of the parts manual:

Battery to starter:

D1PZ-14300-E (Replacement number)
    Motorcraft 7164 universal, 16" long, 4 guage
    Same for 4,6 and 8 cylinders

Battery to ground:

Before 3/15/79: D9ZZ-14301-B
    WC-8408-39.5", 4 guage with ground strap
    After 3/15/179: D9ZZ-14301-C
    WC-8048-39.5", 4 guage with ground strap

Here is a later one replaced by the above number. I have no idea what the difference would be betweeen the early and later.

Name:  IMG_3926.JPG
Views: 340
Size:  258.6 KBName:  IMG_3927.JPG
Views: 338
Size:  259.0 KBName:  IMG_4007.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  92.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Out of the parts manual:

Battery to starter:

D1PZ-14300-E (Replacement number)
    Motorcraft 7164 universal, 16" long, 4 guage
    Same for 4,6 and 8 cylinders

Battery to ground:

Before 3/15/79: D9ZZ-14301-B
    WC-8408-39.5", 4 guage with ground strap
    After 3/15/179: D9ZZ-14301-C
    WC-8048-39.5", 4 guage with ground strap

Here is a later one replaced by the above number. I have no idea what the difference would be betweeen the early and later.

Name:  IMG_3926.JPG
Views: 340
Size:  258.6 KBName:  IMG_3927.JPG
Views: 338
Size:  259.0 KBName:  IMG_4007.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  92.7 KB

Hey thanks! Would you happen to have a picture of the factory correct positive cable?

The D1PZ 14300-E positive cable is actually not "factory" correct. It is a Ford 4 ga. "universal" service part replacement cable meant for many applications. I believe the factory cable had a side post mounting bracket like the one pictured above that is on the negative cable. The D1PZ cable has a connector that is inline with the cable and is 16" long. I think the factory cable was shorter. To find the actual "part number" (note the emphasis on the words "part number", more on that later) that is on the "factory" cable you would need to find someone who has a low mileage 79 pace car or similar who could give you the number off their cable. And then that number would actually be the engineering number, not the part number. Finding the original part number from that engineering number, or even finding a NOS "original factory" cable may be difficult.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
    The D1PZ 14300-E positive cable is actually not "factory" correct. It is a Ford 4 ga. "universal" service part replacement cable meant for many applications. I believe the factory cable had a side post mounting bracket like the one pictured above that is on the negative cable. The D1PZ cable has a connector that is inline with the cable and is 16" long. I think the factory cable was shorter. To find the actual "part number" (note the emphasis on the words "part number", more on that later) that is on the "factory" cable you would need to find someone who has a low mileage 79 pace car or similar who could give you the number off their cable. And then that number would actually be the engineering number, not the part number. Finding the original part number from that engineering number, or even finding a NOS "original factory" cable may be difficult.

Wow that's great information. I have a low mileage (12,000 actual miles) pace car but the original positive battery cable didn't look right to me so I purchased a replacement cable, the D1PZ-14300-E you referred to. I have shown pictures of the existing replacement cable on my battery, and a side by side shot of my original cable next to the "universal" replacement cable. I have seen youtube videos of other low mileage pace cars and I think the positive cable from the factory should look more like the negative factory cable. If I can get a part number or "engineering number" that would help greatly as I search for a factory correct cable. I just can't figure out why my "original" cable doesn't look like the negative cable, especially since my car has so few miles. I can't believe the original owner (now deceased) would have replaced it but maybe he did (?).

Name:  IMG_2489.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  56.1 KBName:  IMG_2490.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  74.9 KB
    Last edited by 417davidk; 12-27-2014 at 06:40 PM. Reason: wrong placement of photos

Quote Originally Posted by 417davidk View Post
    Wow that's great information. I have a low mileage (12,000 actual miles) pace car but the original positive battery cable didn't look right to me so I purchased a replacement cable, the D1PZ-14300-E you referred to. I have shown pictures of the existing replacement cable on my battery, and a side by side shot of my original cable next to the "universal" replacement cable. I have seen youtube videos of other low mileage pace cars and I think the positive cable from the factory should look more like the negative factory cable. If I can get a part number or "engineering number" that would help greatly as I search for a factory correct cable. I just can't figure out why my "original" cable doesn't look like the negative cable, especially since my car has so few miles. I can't believe the original owner (now deceased) would have replaced it but maybe he did (?).

Name:  IMG_2489.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  56.1 KBName:  IMG_2490.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  74.9 KB

Ok I'm looking at my battery cable again and need some assistance. If someone with a low mileage 79 pace car or cobra can measure the length of their FACTORY positive battery cable and also the size (gauge of wire) of their cable that would be very helpful. If you can find a part number or engineering number or something on the cable that would be great too.

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Hi David this is a good question.

I asked Rick Schmidt from NPD the same question a couple of years ago and he gave me a picture of the 1979 Mustang VIN ending in 001.

Here is the picture. The cable is marked D7SF14300AA

So, I was fortunate enough to find this cable NOS

More on this cable in a second.

I have a friend who is the original owner of a V8 Pace Car. He gave me this picture of his original positive battery cable

Wait, the 001 car from Rick was a Turbo 4 car, and it used D7SF14300AA but the Pace Car is D4ZF14300BA

So, which one is it? Maybe the Turbo 4 Car used a different cable because it was a Turbo 4 compared to the V8.

So how do these cables line up? Well, I was fortunate enough to find a D4ZF14300BA NOS cable too. Thank God! I found both on Ebay. Ironically it was from the same seller. They said they only had one cable each time, but found another one.

Here are the two compared to each other.

The D4 cable is on top. Also note the red end on the D4 compared to the black end on the D7 cable. More on that in a second.

What is weird is that the D4 cable is thinner than the D7 cable? I would think this would be opposite for a V8 car compared to a Turbo 4?

So remember the red end on the D4 cable.

Well, here is a picture of a 300 mile V8 Pace car engine. Notice the color of the positive cable end attached to the solenoid.

I know you are looking for one. I understand. I did a search for you and I could not find any out there. My advice would be to look at Ebay under 'Motorcraft battery cables' Neither of these were advertised for a 1979. Good luck and I hope this helps.
    Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 04-15-2015 at 09:22 PM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

If the turbo 4 car uses an electric fan, it would make sense the battery cable is larger gauge to carry the extra load.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by mustangxtreme View Post
    If the turbo 4 car uses an electric fan, it would make sense the battery cable is larger gauge to carry the extra load.
    They use a mechanical fan. Weird
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

Yay!!!! I was able to find an original D4ZF-14300-BA on ebay so it will be going on my V8 pace car tonight! Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by 417davidk View Post
    Yay!!!! I was able to find an original D4ZF-14300-BA on ebay so it will be going on my V8 pace car tonight! Thanks for the help!
    Sweet! Take a picture and show us.

Thanks
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

Quote Originally Posted by 79mustangcobra View Post
    Sweet! Take a picture and show us.

Thanks
    Here is the pace car with the factory positive battery cable.

Name:  IMG_2699.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  58.2 KBName:  IMG_2700.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  67.4 KBName:  IMG_2701.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  55.8 KB

Not to drag this off topic, but are all positive battery cables supposed to be red? Both of mine are black and in need of replacement.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    Not to drag this off topic, but are all positive battery cables supposed to be red? Both of mine are black and in need of replacement.
    The factory and Ford replacement positive cables are supposed to be red for 1979s as far as I know. Not sure about later fox bodies.....
    Last edited by 417davidk; 04-17-2015 at 09:35 PM.