Close

Default Torque box reinforments not fitting

I put the UPR torque box kit in my 93 mustang. It wasnt fun but everything fit and made sense. I just bought the same kit for my 80 fairmont and it does not want to fit. I did get the lower ones in. However I had to make a new holes for where the control arm bolt goes through the kit. The uppers are worse. The 90 degree pieces of angle iron do not fit square into the underneath of the floorboard. You can actually rock them back and forth. My car has never been hit or twisted. I called upr and they sent me another upper set, and its the same thing. Are the floors slightly different on a Futura than a mustang? I understand rears bolts right is there something actually different on the floor board?

Quote Originally Posted by NewToFord View Post
    ..is there something actually different on the floor board?
    Yes. The floorpans are different. "Fox-chassied" is a loose grouping, and not a statement that all are identical underneath.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS
    86 LTD Wagon

I've got mustang torque box kits in my wagon. I've used several brands over the years on many different Fox chassis and sn95 cars. Modification is necessary more often than not. By the way. I've got a 97 mustang Cobra complete floor pan in my Fairmont wagon too.
    Build thread:
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...nt-wagon-build

blown 91 coupe- Sold
    Turbo 88 gt- Sold
    Supercharged 01 mustang-Sold
    5.0 swapped 2000 ranger- Sold
    97 mustang bolt on gt- daily driver
    79 Fairmont wagon-1600hp beast under construction

I don't care about possesing the finished product. I want to create it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1onebadfox View Post
    By the way. I've got a 97 mustang Cobra complete floor pan in my Fairmont wagon too.
    onebad, how did you accomplish this? Where is the joint at the rear? Did it stiffen the car up any? Would love to see pictures and hear more thanks. zak

aslo did you include the front frame rails?

Was the floor pan any thicker than what you replaced?
    Last edited by zak; 01-12-2015 at 11:57 AM.
    1985 LTD LX original owner

Quote Originally Posted by zak View Post
    onebad, how did you accomplish this? Where is the joint at the rear? Did it stiffen the car up any? Would love to see pictures and hear more thanks. zak

aslo did you include the front frame rails?

Was the floor pan any thicker than what you replaced?

Check out my build thread for pictures. Sn95 front frame rails are straight in line with the rear subframe unlike the Fox frame rails that angle slightly. That does not affect the fitment of the floor pan though as it still fits nicely. The wagon is longer by roughly 3" in the rear seat foot area. If you can install a floor pan it should be easy enough to fab up a small section to extend it. I replaced my factory pan for this one mainly cuz mine was so rough and it has the console e brake like I am planning to use(full sn95 interior)As far as thickness it appears the same, roughly 20 gauge.
    Build thread:

blown 91 coupe- Sold
    Turbo 88 gt- Sold
    Supercharged 01 mustang-Sold
    5.0 swapped 2000 ranger- Sold
    97 mustang bolt on gt- daily driver
    79 Fairmont wagon-1600hp beast under construction

I don't care about possesing the finished product. I want to create it.

Thanks. Elswhere I found out the New Edge 99-04 floor pan is 21 gauge 0.034 thick. I strongly suspect that the SN95 and SN95-New Edge floor pans have changes to the stampings to make them stiffer in torsion, so what you did probably added as much addtional chassis stiffness as a good set of connectors. Outstanding figuring out that this could be made to work.

I wonder what the width of a New Edge 99-04 floor pan is compared to Fox/earlier SN95 . . .
    1985 LTD LX original owner