Close

Default One Hell Cat already wrecked and maybe totalled

It's a shame to hear such stories but the good news is even though the guy and his passengers hit a tree, they did not get seriously injured. I have to say this for cars newer cars is that a person is much more likely to survive a wreck.

But wrecking a 707HP an hour after driving it off the lot must be painful for the owner. I'm not going to pass any judgement on this only because I never driven a vehicle with more than 225 rated horsepower and I don't know the circumstances of the crash.

On a second thought, I wonder if the news by ferreting out this story from the thousands of automobile accidents occuring everyday is trying to give the message that high horse power cars are dangerous or unecessary- if that is the case, what a bunch of [deleted due to language].
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

I just think people don't respect driving in general. It's something that's done so often that you tend to forget you're literally driving a two ton killing machine if you don't keep your wits about you and respect the car, your passengers, and your surroundings. Add that to the fact that this car is so powerful that it's easier to get in trouble (a driving school class should be required before purchase...just because you can afford a super fast car doesn't mean you know how to drive one), and it's a recipe for disaster.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    I just think people don't respect driving in general. It's something that's done so often that you tend to forget you're literally driving a two ton killing machine if you don't keep your wits about you and respect the car, your passengers, and your surroundings. Add that to the fact that this car is so powerful that it's easier to get in trouble (a driving school class should be required before purchase...just because you can afford a super fast car doesn't mean you know how to drive one), and it's a recipe for disaster.
    ^^^what he said^^^
    '85 T-Top GT 5.0L HO 5spd
    Breathing upgrades/Stock block

Someone should buy the remains and a parts Challenger, and stick both in a storage building for 30 years. Maybe then it will be worth fixing!
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

I think its a goner..

'79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

Nottingham, PA now...from Perryville, MD...From Levittown, PA

wow. where was that? What state?
    My name is Andrew
    1986 GT Convertible- 2nd owner
    1984 SVO-Impound Yard find

Colorado.

Apparently it got out of shape on him going around a corner and he hit a tree. He also had 2 passengers. All walked away from the accident.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

With 707hp on tap, it is not a driver behind the wheel. More of a chance that an EGO is TRYING to control the monster.

IDIOTS trying to impress passengers. What a waste.
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Being dumb in your new car... was it worth it...

Yeah buddie, here in CO
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

Not much stock stuff left
    347 NA power, CNC ported heads, Extrude honed Trick Flow Intake, Custom Cam
    Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"

Been a common problem with bikes for years. Many new bikes junked with temp tags on them. There used to be a video on utube of a big guy talking trash on buying his new bike. Then proceeded to drive it into a parked car.

back in the late 80's I remember walking thought a junk yard and see new mustangs with less than 200 miles on them and totaled.

Damn... I wonder where never heard nothing on the news... that sucks

Quote Originally Posted by cb650 View Post
    Been a common problem with bikes for years. Many new bikes junked with temp tags on them. There used to be a video on utube of a big guy talking trash on buying his new bike. Then proceeded to drive it into a parked car.
    Yea... A few years back I bought a totaled CBR1000RR Repsol Edition with 400 miles on it...
    Scott
    Picayune,MS 39466
    Torch Red 2004 Mach 1 Mustang
    Silver 85 GT
    Previous set up...
    306, Lunati flat tappet, Eddy Performer Heads, RPM intake, Holley 650DP, Shorty Headers, Flowmasters, 3.73, T5. 12.92 @109

Current set up,,,
    408w, Internally balanced Scat rotating assy, Comp Hyd roller, Brodix heads, eddy air gap RPM intake, PowerjectionIII EFI, Longtube 1-3/4 headers, Flowmasters, 3.55 Cobra 31 spline diff w/Moser axles, TKO 600 5spd, Mcleod dual disc street clutch... ET... Traction Limited 11.93 @120mph

FEP Member

More money than brains. The line to get that car at auction will be around the block and down the street. I can only imagine what hotrod would get that drivetrain. That is just too much car for average people. A driving class should come with the car. It is just sad to see all these new muscle cars getting wrecked brand new cause just anyone can go buy one.

I search the IAAI site fairly regularly. I've seen plenty of GTs and even Shelbys with really low miles that were completely destroyed.

Being able to afford a car doesn't mean a person can drive it ( Captain Obvious reporting ). There will be plenty more to come of all makes.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

FEP Member

An older friend of mine has an ssc that was hit by a garbage truck with a little over 400 miles on it (totaled) still has all the ssc specific parts and won't come up off of them.

This is really nothing new. I'll bet that maybe a couple of Hemi, and almost certainly some 440, Challengers didn't make it to their first payment due date 45 or whatever years ago... These types of cars get trashed on race tracks at an early age too.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

The driving class seems like a great idea and I'm not saying that I disagree but you have to think if the government tries to encroach like that it's going to upset a lot of people because it's their right to go out and buy a stupid fast car I think making it an affordable if not free option would be a better way to go about it

Gotta love safety and weight. It dulls 707 hp for sure. Its one of those things...you reintroduce incompetence back into the gene pool when you save them with ABS, SRS, ESP, and NCAP5/5 ratings. Its gotta be significantly safer than, say, scraping your body off the dash board of a 65 390 Galaxie on four wheel drums and crossplies after exploring the Outer Limits. 2015 is a time to be proud of US High Perfromance engineering.

It's alway more exciting doing 185 mph, 11 second quarters with a set of two or three 3 by 21's and 61 cubic inches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XjoExOoDXU

But then, they are our sons and daughters, and when we Defiled the Engine by Analyating the Depressor the way they did it in the 60's and 70's, most of us ended up DEAD.

Safety will always be an inoculator to stupidy, not an antidote.