Close

Default I Just Got Served...

So I come in to work this morning and there's a subpoena on my desk.

Awhile back I was in a 2014 Chevrolet Sonic (Company Car) and was cut off by a 1998 Mustang V6. She side-swiped me, and when I confronted her in the Wendy's parking lot, she fled the scene.

She is to plead her case as the defendant and I am appearing on behalf of the state.

I've never been to court before and am not registered to vote so I've never had jury duty either.

Anyone in the legal profession? What should I do leading up to and on the court date?

Odds are that she will not show up but in the off-chance she does could anyone assist me in how to prepare?
    1998 SVT Contour #0003/Bondurant Instructor Car
    ^Currently Totaled^
    1993 SVT Cobra #2048
    1980 Capri RS

1988 Thunderbird Turbocoupe
    1970 Boss 302 Trans-Am Package

What are the charges? Relative to preparation, just take some time to remember exactly what did happen that day and go into it relaxed knowing you have everything together.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

I would assume there is a state prosecutor listed in the subpoena? Call their office and tell them you'd like to go over the process.

I'd also write down exactly what happened in the events prior to, during, and after the event. Give names and phone numbers / contact information.

Get a haircut, a good shave, and wear a suit / nice clothes to court.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    What are the charges? Relative to preparation, just take some time to remember exactly what did happen that day and go into it relaxed knowing you have everything together.
    This. You'll be fine!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

"You are hereby required to appear before said court on 01/07/2015 at 01:00 PM and give testimony in behalf of the STATE in an action pending before said court wherein

Plaintiff: City of Sylvania
    -VS-
    Defendant: *******, *****

Section: 335.12 LEAVE SCENE ACD

for a Court Trial

HEREOF FAIL NOT UNDER PENALTY OF LAW!

So I've gotta go and as I understand it, I am not on trial... She is.
    ^Currently Totaled^
    1993 SVT Cobra #2048
    1980 Capri RS

Quote Originally Posted by Jay86GT View Post
    "You are hereby required to appear before said court on 01/07/2015 at 01:00 PM and give testimony in behalf of the STATE in an action pending before said court wherein

Plaintiff: City of Sylvania
    -VS-
    Defendant: *******, *****

Section: 335.12 LEAVE SCENE ACD

for a Court Trial

HEREOF FAIL NOT UNDER PENALTY OF LAW!

So I've gotta go and as I understand it, I am not on trial... She is.
    Yes, she is being prosected...you are not, at this point. I had a very similar incident happen to me just two weeks ago! I was on a public street at a dead stop waiting in line to pick up one of my daughters...it was raining purty good that day. A lady struck the side of my F350 truck luckily only causing damage to my tow mirror. She kept driving but luckily caught the red light. I followed and got out of my truck and approached her side window. She finally rolled it down and I explained she just hit me and she stated she did not recall that and was also there to pick up kiddos and she would pull over to the shoulder to do so for her daughter. When the light turned green she took off past the school and I followed for a half mile or so then u-turned to go back and pick up my daughter knowing I had took into account her license plate number. While in the parking lot I called the Constable office and we set up a place to meet. Later I went up to the office and made a report. The officer went over to where the truck was located and took their story in addition to looking at their truck. The truck was registered to a man, not her husband, so they got his insurance information given she would not fess up when I called her with the number they gave me. It was obvious from the damage what had happened. The officer did state that she might have thought I was being confrontational given I approached here and then followed. I asked the officer wth I was supposed to do...let her go! For this reason...and also because we are in a big town and this is a petty offence...the D.A. would not press charges for her leaving the scene. In the end, his insurance did side with me and paid...wasn't happy with it but did not want to fight anymore with it but I would bet she did not have a drivers license and might not even be here legally as the officer alluded to such.

I had another incident years ago where a lady hit me...again being at a dead stop on a public road...and there was actually a Constable in the adjacent parking lot writing up a ticket to another motorist. I pulled into the parking lot and approached one of the officers about the incident. In the end, the lady was not given a ticket because she was pregnant! I explained to the officer how if the situation was reversed I would have definitely received a citation and furthermore the way these insurance companies operate nowadays I could see it coming that they would perceive a 70%/30% fault just because they can when it was clearly 100% her fault. I did receive no fault through her insurance company...which was the same as mine...but still question wheather it did affect my rates in the end.

I tell you these stories given you being in a male/female situation like me to think about...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

As mentioned above, just shave and put on a nice suit. The process itself will probably be pretty smooth, but some judges are very picky about how you present yourself in court as they see it as a sign of respect.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

All great info guys, thanks. Luckily I bought myself my Christmas presents (several 2 & 3 piece suits). I just reached a point where I figured that I should have at least one but I ended up getting 6 (LOL ) because you never know when you'll need one... Case in point
    ^Currently Totaled^
    1993 SVT Cobra #2048
    1980 Capri RS

Quote Originally Posted by Jay86GT View Post
    All great info guys, thanks. Luckily I bought myself my Christmas presents (several 2 & 3 piece suits). I just reached a point where I figured that I should have at least one but I ended up getting 6 (LOL ) because you never know when you'll need one... Case in point
    I hope that pun at the end was unintended!

Seriously, I hope justice is served in your favor.
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Yes lol. it was!

Me too. If it's gotten this far, almost 3 months after the incident, odds are that she won't show up.

Thanks for the support/assistance guys!
    ^Currently Totaled^
    1993 SVT Cobra #2048
    1980 Capri RS

Nottingham, PA now...from Perryville, MD...From Levittown, PA

Suit. Shave. Answer only what is asked. Don't exagerate or say "I think". Don't be late. Don't bring a pocketknife. Bring change or cash for parking. Don't cuss.
    My name is Andrew
    1986 GT Convertible- 2nd owner
    1984 SVO-Impound Yard find

full shave? I have a short (clean cut/trim) beard every day. Should I "baby-face" it for this occasion?
    ^Currently Totaled^
    1993 SVT Cobra #2048
    1980 Capri RS

Nottingham, PA now...from Perryville, MD...From Levittown, PA

just no duck dynasty imho
    My name is Andrew
    1986 GT Convertible- 2nd owner
    1984 SVO-Impound Yard find

Not since my surgery... I grew it out from my first surgery July 2013 until my final one in February '14. But I stay trim meow
    ^Currently Totaled^
    1993 SVT Cobra #2048
    1980 Capri RS

If it is a "neat" beard that is trimmed good you should be OK. I think what they were saying is that the "2 day stubble" (or a week stubble for some kids) would not be appropriate.

There is a certain decorum for the justice (or work for that matter) system that we don't legally have to abide by but life goes smoother if you do.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

FEP Member

You didn't do anything wrong. Show up a tad early and go over any changes to the proceedings. Go up, swear on the bible and answer the questions. Being states witness I wonder if you get compensated for your time. I remember as a kid being a witness in a major accident I was paid for three days I was there in the courtroom. I can't remember how much it was as I only made $4.25/hr at the grocery store only working about 20hrs a week so they may have based it off that. Anyway, it is no big deal.

I'm commission-based sales. Can't make any money in a court room unless... "Your honor, are you in need of a new vehicle?"
    ^Currently Totaled^
    1993 SVT Cobra #2048
    1980 Capri RS

I'd go up to the judge and try to sell him a Vette.

Always Be Closing...
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

I don't really want to roll up at the courthouse in my illegally tinted 2005 Acura TL so I'll probably see what I'd be allowed to take there. It's only 3 miles up the road from work so maybe I'll get something sweet.
    ^Currently Totaled^
    1993 SVT Cobra #2048
    1980 Capri RS