Close

Thread: Fuel Cell Help

Default Fuel Cell Help

Hello all! so im toying around with the idea of putting a fuel cell im my car as it will be a Street Strip car. Any help, Ideas and problems anyone else has had will be much appreciated.

They're expensive but I guess it depends on how much value you put on your life. I bought one many years when they were much cheaper. It is supposed to be a direct swap for the original steel tank.

Due to family problems and stuff I haven't installed it yet so I can't help you there.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

Yeah I planned on doing a 12 gallon sumped Fuel cell

Quote Originally Posted by mwitham87 View Post
    Yeah I planned on doing a 12 gallon sumped Fuel cell
    Is that the one that sits in the spare tire well? I have the 22 gallon that goes in place where the stock tank is mounted under the car. It uses all the factory fill tube and pump / sender.

If nothing else I pick up an additional 6 gallons of capacity / more miles to empty cruising range.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

FEP Power Member

Safety wise, it's not a bad idea. Since the gas tank sits right behind the rear bumper and is not in front of the rear axle like newer car designs.

Is that the one that sits in the spare tire well? I have the 22 gallon that goes in place where the stock tank is mounted under the car. It uses all the factory fill tube and pump / sender.

If nothing else I pick up an additional 6 gallons of capacity / more miles to empty cruising range.
    yes it is you just have to cut a hole in the floor for the sump as well as the vent tube

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

You could adapt a safety switch into pump harness or inertia switch if electric pump is used you could even be creative and adapt a OEM unit from a salvage yard