Close

Default 85 headlight switch

mine went out last night and when I called to order one they asked if I had the adance headlight system, I think thats what he said

now the ? is I have a auto dimming rear view mirror and I can set the depth on how close the people are in my rear view mirror

does that meen I have the advanced headlight system then ?

has anyone ever seen the rewar view mirror I'm talking about
    stock 00 explorer 5.0 with 120k,comp XE274HR cam Edelbrock preformer air,fms shorty headers,x pipe and 40 series,under drive pullies, fresh t-5,king cobra 10.5 clutch,Hurst short throw shifter,fms alumin drive shaft, bbk frame conectors, 8.8 4;10 , MM camber caster plates, MM XD ADJ lower control arms

anyone ?
    stock 00 explorer 5.0 with 120k,comp XE274HR cam Edelbrock preformer air,fms shorty headers,x pipe and 40 series,under drive pullies, fresh t-5,king cobra 10.5 clutch,Hurst short throw shifter,fms alumin drive shaft, bbk frame conectors, 8.8 4;10 , MM camber caster plates, MM XD ADJ lower control arms

If you're talking about the headlight switch in the dash, there are only two options for headlight switches; one for cars with the "visibility light group" and one for cars without said group. The visibility light group includes some extra lighting in the car, such as a glove compartment light, an underhood light, etc., and also includes the remote fuel filler door button. The easy way to tell is if your car has factory installed foglights, get the switch for the cars with the visibility light group. If your car doesn't have the foglights but does have those other lighting add ons, then again, get the switch meant to be used with the light group. If you have a non-foglight Mustang/Capri and you don't have the extra lighting, just get the standard headlight switch.

What makes you think the headlight switch is bad?
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

it started smoking last night and there is a burn spot on it, my markers and fog light quit working and all I had was the headlights
    I do have all those options also

have you heard about the rear view mirror with auto dimming with a far and near dial

As far as your rear view mirror, that must have been added by a previous owner. That technology wasn't available in 1985 on the Mustang (maybe BMW or Mercedes had it back then, I don't know). I think all rearview mirrors were just simple, basic mirrors in 85, I don't even think convertibles had interior lights built into them at that point.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

The auto dimming rear view mirror was not part of the visibility light group (more commonly known as the light convenience group). I wasn't aware that an auto dimming mirror was available for Mustangs or Capris.

85 Mustang GT

maybe a dealer installed option, I will take a pick and it looks factory, I understand it was not an option

svtrob has seen it maybe if he see's this he wil chime in, the wiring goes into the roof

Fog lamps have nothing to do with the light group. All GTs had fog lamps but not all GTs have the light group.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

No, the light convenience group was only standard on SVO's. It was optional on all other cars.

85 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    I think all rearview mirrors were just simple, basic mirrors in 85, I don't even think convertibles had interior lights built into them at that point.
    Mike, fwi...the 85 verts did have convenience lighting built into the bottom of the rear view mirrors.

Also just checked the original window sticker on my car and the light convenience group package was a $55 option.
    Last edited by bwguardian; 12-21-2014 at 04:11 PM.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

According to the Ford Car Facts books, the mirror-mounted dome lamp (convertible only) was new, and standard equipment, for 1986.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    According to the Ford Car Facts books, the mirror-mounted dome lamp (convertible only) was new, and standard equipment, for 1986.
    Are you stating it was new and standard for 1986...or maybe just standard, no charge...
    HAD

HAVE
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

It's in the standard list of equipment for 1986 convertibles but there is no star indicating it was new for that year. There is no mention in the 1985 book that the light was there. I'm going to have to look at more books. Do we have some 1985 owners that have the light?
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    It's in the standard list of equipment for 1986 convertibles but there is no star indicating it was new for that year. There is no mention in the 1985 book that the light was there. I'm going to have to look at more books. Do we have some 1985 owners that have the light?
    Yeah, me...
    HAD

HAVE

Quote Originally Posted by bwguardian View Post
    Yeah, me...

OMG I just spit my coffee out on my laptop!!!
    '85 T-Top GT 5.0L HO 5spd
    Breathing upgrades/Stock block

Might have been a mid 1985 addition.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FoxChassis, the production date on my car is 5/85. After doing some research on them it appears the earlier version...like mine...has the lights added by a half height back cover which is held on by two screws. The later models have a full height back cover with no screws needed to secure it. As expected it is a Donnelly unit as I could not find a Ford part number on mine. I will post up in the vert specific thread started here a little while back and see if I can get some feedback/input.

GIXER7502006, in my research I also came across a rear view mirror that might be on your car. It has the auto dimming feature you speak of and came on later...1994 up...cars. Here http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-95-96-97-...3289ce&vxp=mtr is a link to an example of one for reference.
    HAD

HAVE

May 1985 would be three quarters of the way through production.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

here is the mirror I was talking about

Name:  rearview mirror.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  16.8 KB

My '85 convertible has a light on it's rear view mirror. The car also has the light convenience group option as well. And was built mid/late '85. However, it does not look anything like the mirror in post #19.
    1985 Mustang GT convertible triple white
    Stock survivor

that looks like the mirror from my 91 SC t-bird.
    Quote Originally Posted by GIXER7502006 View Post
    here is the mirror I was talking about

Name:  rearview mirror.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  16.8 KB

My 85 dont have ANY interior light you guy mention. When I look and touch headliner, I did feel a square spot that support to have those light install. I guess mine is late 85 ?

when I came to jsfrv6 to bought those 10 holes wheels, he had an 85 gt T-Top, it does have all those light in it.
    Last edited by Sinister; 12-30-2014 at 10:49 PM.
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-