Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FEP User

Default How many 86 Saleen T-tops?

I was wondering how many 1986 Saleens with T-tops and color combos? I think I remember seeing there was like 6 or 7, I can't remember, I am the second owner of 86-176, it's a black T-top with gray interior, I wanted to know for sure how rare it was

I asked before and there is not really a solid number that can be agreed upon.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...leens-w-T-roof
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

It's a four eyed Saleen so it's a rare car. I would say just think of it as 1 of 201, because once you start breaking down options every car is 1 of 1...but that's just me. Your car is a ttop, stripe delete, cruise control (Momo shipped in hatch) Saleen that came with the Kenwood stereo...I'm sure with all that considered your car is 1 of 1.

Congrats on the purchase, let's see some pics!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

FEP User

You guys might not like it since the original owner turned it into a drag car to race on the street, my plans are to take all the drag race stuff off and sell it as a roller or put it back to stock and wait for the right buyer in 10-20 years

Quote Originally Posted by Racsirx View Post
    I was wondering how many 1986 Saleens with T-tops and color combos? I think I remember seeing there was like 6 or 7, I can't remember, I am the second owner of 86-176, it's a black T-top with gray interior, I wanted to know for sure how rare it was
    Did you recently buy this one?
    I've seen it for sale On Craigslist for a while now.

I still have the details on it.
    This is from the Craigslist post:

"This is a good friends car ! He bought this Saleen New at Galpin Ford here in Los Angeles. He is an engine builder and this is what it has! 347 Stroker makes 750 HP. at the wheels. It's number 176 and in the registry. T-Tops,Ford Motorsport Block,probe racing crank shaft ultra light steel,probe racing ultra lite rods,ultra lite pistons with complete rotating assembly,balanced canfield aluminum racing heads,5 stage porting comp cam 282 HD. roller cam shaft,compcam stainless roller rockers and valvetrain assembly ,victor upper and lower intake manifold 5.0 ported and matched,acell DFI computer jen6 programable,Vortec racing super charger t trim with air to water after cooler,90 mm T body 83lb. fuel injectors,vortec high performance fuel rails and fuell system,full MSD IGNITION INCLUDING A6L box custom made 50 mm blower drive system,miser electric water pump,7/78 full length headers,,3" exhaust,flow masters,custom made aluminum driveshaft,TK0 3550 5spd.,5 paw race clutch,8 3/4 Ford with 35 spline Axles with detroit locker and 3.55 gears,heavy duty rear end support coil overs,K Member in front end with adjustable coil over struts,13" disc brakes in front,10" discs in rear with 4 piston callipers in back,manual rack and pinion,custom 4 row radiator,dual electric fans,line lock,welded sub frame connectors,fiberglass hood,no back seat,120 amp charging and more"
    Current Cars:
    1979 Mustang Ghia Coupe 5.0 3J Bright Blue
    1984 GT T top 306 5 speed "Black Mamba"
    1986 Saleen Black with Silver Stripes 86#009
    1986 Mustang GT Medium Canyon Red 5 speed 5.0
    1999 Mustang GT Convertible 35th anniversary 69K miles.
    2002 Nissan Maxima 6 Speed "Daily Driver"
    2009 Corvette 6 speed LS3

1998 Cobra 71k miles Canary Yellow "Nana" SOLD

It looks to me like it just needs a few tweaks and it would be awesome. I would turn it from drag car to road racer/street car and replace some of the missing parts (backseat, saleen tach, wipers, ect). I would add the graphics (even though it's a graphics delete car from Saleen) just because they are awesome, flip the hatch emblems (it's should say "Saleen Mustang" not "Mustang Saleen"), repaint everything thats supposed to be charcoal...charcoal (did it get a full respray at some point?), and get the right #176 numerals (call Mark at Performance Autosports, he has them..you just have to prove to him that you own the car and its really 86-0176). Personally I would go back to the original grey carpet (floors and door panels), but the black isn't bad.

Then I would drive and enjoy it. 750hp is a lot for the street, so maybe it needs to be taken down a notch, but it would be one heck of a ride. Selling it as a roller won't get you much (unless you have seperate plans for the engine and trans I would just keep them in the car, and this isnt the right car for storing 10-20 years for a profit...sure it will go up in that time, but low mileage original cars are the ones that will benefit most from that). This car was built for fun, so go out and have some fun!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Oh, I almost forgot...you could get an LOA (letter of Auth) from Saleen to tell you how many had ttops in 86. The only word of caution I have is Saleen is not doing well financially, so I would just worry that they would take your $75 and never send you the LOA. Now that might not happen, but apparently they aren't paying their bills, so you never know.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    Oh, I almost forgot...you could get an LOA (letter of Auth) from Saleen to tell you how many had ttops in 86. The only word of caution I have is Saleen is not doing well financially, so I would just worry that they would take your $75 and never send you the LOA. Now that might not happen, but apparently they aren't paying their bills, so you never know.
    thats what happens when you get involved in camaro's lmao. but seriously that sucks for a great company like saleen

FEP User

Yes, I just bought it, the 750rwhp is a little much for the street but that's why I bought it to either sell the drivetrain or use it in one of my other Mustangs, I have a Five Mustangs, One Capri, Two Saleens and One Cobra and I think I getting another Capri next week.

Can you post or send me pics of the door tag and buck tag? Thanks.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP User

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    Can you post or send me pics of the door tag and buck tag? Thanks.
    Ok, I will try to remember to get them tomorrow

FEP User

FEP User

Looks great with the windows down and the T-tops off.
    Only thing I would suggest is to paint the trim back to charcoal and maybe a different set of wheels(although with 750hp I can understand why those are on the car).

Looks like you have a few other ponies around the stable.
    Current Cars:
    1979 Mustang Ghia Coupe 5.0 3J Bright Blue
    1984 GT T top 306 5 speed "Black Mamba"
    1986 Saleen Black with Silver Stripes 86#009
    1986 Mustang GT Medium Canyon Red 5 speed 5.0
    1999 Mustang GT Convertible 35th anniversary 69K miles.
    2002 Nissan Maxima 6 Speed "Daily Driver"
    2009 Corvette 6 speed LS3

1998 Cobra 71k miles Canary Yellow "Nana" SOLD

FEP User

Quote Originally Posted by BlackMamba View Post
    Looks great with the windows down and the T-tops off.
    Only thing I would suggest is to paint the trim back to charcoal and maybe a different set of wheels(although with 750hp I can understand why those are on the car).

Looks like you have a few other ponies around the stable.
    I don't know how much of the Saleen I will return back to original but I love the way it looks now, I might get some 16" Saleen rims for it and find a more streetable drivetrain for the Saleen, I had a few 500rwhp Mustangs and they were easy to drive around but this Saleen is too much to drive around, it needs a built automatic and cage which I don't want to do, right now I have a 83 Capri, 87 GT Convertible, 88 Coupe, 88 GT, 88 Saleen, 90 GT, 92 GT and a 95 Cobra and I will probably getting a 86 Capri next week.

Let's see some pics of your other Mustangs...especially the 88 Saleen. I agree that a different set of wheels would be a great visual improvement over those drag wheels, and painting the charcoal parts back to charcoal would help too (so would adding the decals). It's an amazing looking car though...the body and paint look great!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

FEP User

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    Let's see some pics of your other Mustangs...especially the 88 Saleen. I agree that a different set of wheels would be a great visual improvement over those drag wheels, and painting the charcoal parts back to charcoal would help too (so would adding the decals). It's an amazing looking car though...the body and paint look great!
    Lol, you probably won't like my 88 Saleen since it's wrecked and now a parts car

FEP User

FEP User

FEP User

FEP User

FEP User

Here are some of my old cars

This one has a 95 Cobra R drivetrain in it, 5.8L with A/C

Here is my old 95 Cobra R #75 that I used as a donor car

FEP User

FEP User

FEP User

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast