Close

Default Any source for a Thunderbird center cap emblem for Grant steering wheel?

Does anyone know of a source for Thunderbird center cap emblem (black T-bird emblem), that will fit a Grant 3 spoke steering wheel for the cars, before airbags were mandated? ?

I know other companies are making those little chrome caps besides Grant... but I've yet to stumble onto one with the bird on it...kinda like the early to mid 80's T-bird steering wheels had.... but for a Grant wheel. Someone has to make it... you would think.

I spent the day in the junkyard today and now it's really on my mind. I have a blue Ford oval chrome cap and it just looks out of place. I almost want to return to a stock steering wheel just to have the center cap.

I gave up on the idea and went back to an OEM wheel but I'm guessing someone else might want to find a center cap, with a T-bird emblem...then again maybe not.

Try checking the non-turbo 85-88 Tbird. The Tbird emblem can be popped out of the horn button.. It is small but can be used. My Dad used one on his 88 TC on the top of a billet oil cap. I'm not sure what he used to glue it to the top and withstand the heat of the engine. Here is a pic. I hope you can see it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    86' SVO 1C # 17 of 3379 86's #6475 of 9837
    86' SVO 1C #497 of 3379 86's #6955 of 9837
    84' GT Turbo #4 of 3241 GT Turbo HB's #560 of 3935
    87' Thunderbird TC 1 of 10
    http://www.foureyedpride.com/content...e-of-the-Month

I can see it on there...that's pretty cool.
    I had thought about removing a factory emblem the way your dad did. In fact, even though i gave up on the steering wheel emblem and went back to a stock wheel...I'm still trying to come up with 4 emblems (of the correct size) to adhere to the center caps on aftermarket wheels. Trouble is I' havent decided on which wheels I want. I'm torn between old school Cragar SS wheels or aluminum slots....both which I think would look cool with T-bird center emblems.

Thanks I'll let him know.

I don't know what to tell you as for what else to look for.

I don't know where or if they're still made or not. My Dad bought the radiator cap from somewhere that has the Thunderbird logo engraved/stamped into it. Maybe you could try one of those (yet again, if they're still out there).
    86' SVO 1C # 17 of 3379 86's #6475 of 9837
    86' SVO 1C #497 of 3379 86's #6955 of 9837
    84' GT Turbo #4 of 3241 GT Turbo HB's #560 of 3935
    87' Thunderbird TC 1 of 10
    http://www.foureyedpride.com/content...e-of-the-Month

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

Show a picture so the steering wheel. I have a tbird center cap/ horn button for the mustang cruise wheel

What about having a sweet vinyl decal made? Would something like that work?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Good ideas but I eventually just went back to an OEM wheel. I like the aftermarket spoked wheel but the original I scored in the salvage yard clean up very nicely.

As a side note, I'm not sure to to go about having a vinyl decal made.