Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Black projectile headlights

Has anyone used the black projectile headlights on four eyed? I see American muscle sells them for our cars was wondering what it looks like on four eyed?
    85 gt , 99 explorer motor, stealth intake, holley 600, e303 cam, t-5, 3.55 gears, fms shorties, mac 2 1/2 pro chamber and mac cat back. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNT1WhdJe2s

I was looking at them. I think they have a few examples of how they would look on their site.

They are NOT DOT approved though, so I wouldn't bother with them.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

"Projectile" headlights...?

Now, that's something I would like to see!
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

My bad projector headlights. If they aren't dot approved I wouldn't want them either. The add don't say anything about it it does say the are brighter I'd think that would be a plus. http://m.americanmuscle.com/black-pr...ghts-7986.html
    85 gt , 99 explorer motor, stealth intake, holley 600, e303 cam, t-5, 3.55 gears, fms shorties, mac 2 1/2 pro chamber and mac cat back. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNT1WhdJe2s

I have to admit, they do look wicked! Price seemed a little cheap for true projectors so that makes me a little sceptical on how good they really are
    '85 T-Top GT 5.0L HO 5spd
    Breathing upgrades/Stock block

FEP Senior Member

Their ad does say they're brighter,but judging by the reviews of the end user that isn't the case at all.To modify the car to fit them,not being DOT approved(if true),and producing less light then the originals I'd say they're not worth the money or effort to install,but..............

Lets see some pics when your done

OMR
    '86 Med.Canyon Red Met.(original paint) T-top,5 speed,3.55 rear,MAF conversion(A9L).MM adj. RLCAs,T/A,Panhard Bar,and adj MMRSB-3,rear T/A springs 375#-440#,MM C/C plates,MM 1.125" dia.swaybar,STB,4pt KMB,FLSFC's,'03 Cobra rack-n-pinion w/ Saginaw pump conversion.Bilstein MM coilover conversion and A-arms,front spring rate:250#.

Late model mustang site says they are dot approved. Might get me a set if anyone has pic with them please share.

They will destroy the four eye classic look. I though you mean black out head light, that something cool, but it show that " ricer " european halo look. That I use to do back when I was 17.

On the pros side, as we all know our four eyes lighting is not enough at night driving, comparing to newer cars, if this halo improve lighting and help your night vision, and you need it, I would properly not gonna stop you, even its not looking good, safety is most important.

but if you just want the halo look, I would walk away from this, by look at those picture from AM, something is not right, accept that satin capri
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

I bought a set, you have to modify the stock headlight pot/bucket by cutting the entire 'circle' out in the back, and actually remove a bit of the headlight housings 'legs', its a little time consuming and pain, but i found it did wonders for a more aggressive appearance, as for lighting it did help a decent bit, my head light adjusting setup is broke(new one ordered though) and they're aimed in all directions, but with the glass 'projector' it scattered light well enough to see fairly well, I'd recommend them for various reasons, just do a bit of sizing up and planning ahead, and alot of patience for the modifying!

Name:  IMG_20140928_183336134.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  107.6 KB

With my experience modifying stock BMW projector headlights attempting to see more than a car length ahead of me at night I have little faith in aftermarket projector lights. They probably don't have a shutter in them like factory projectors do so you would get both the benefit of reduced lighting output from a tiny reflector and the ability to blind oncoming traffic. Double bonus. Actually the light output in these cars is pretty good if you have fresh headlights and relays supplying full battery voltage to them. Even better with a quality H4 low H1 headlight setup.
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

I curse whoever invented projector lights, and whoever took the bribe at the federal DOT to get them approved. Many of those lights suck because they are a menace to oncoming motorists. Acuras are the worst, along with a few BMWs and new Cadilacs, and most of the new Audis. Escalades and Aviators are particularly bad too. I haven't ridden in any of those vehicles to judge the light output from the driver's perspective, but I will say that a good set of sealed beam halogens on a foureye, aimed properly, put out more than enough light for me. Most HIDs at their low-beam setting are way more irritating than halogens at their high-beam setting. Especially when they come over a hill at you. And I don't think that they output that much more light.
    IMO, the idiot automotive industry went entirely in the wrong direction when they switched to plastic lenses/covers on headlights.

Back in the early '90s, the original plastic-headlight-cover Rangers were the first vehicles I noticed with offensively bright headlights.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Quote Originally Posted by grabbergreen84 View Post
    I curse whoever invented projector lights, and whoever took the bribe at the federal DOT to get them approved. Many of those lights suck because they are a menace to oncoming motorists. Acuras are the worst, along with a few BMWs and new Cadilacs, and most of the new Audis. Escalades and Aviators are particularly bad too. I haven't ridden in any of those vehicles to judge the light output from the driver's perspective, but I will say that a good set of sealed beam halogens on a foureye, aimed properly, put out more than enough light for me. Most HIDs at their low-beam setting are way more irritating than halogens at their high-beam setting. Especially when they come over a hill at you. And I don't think that they output that much more light.
    IMO, the idiot automotive industry went entirely in the wrong direction when they switched to plastic lenses/covers on headlights.

Back in the early '90s, the original plastic-headlight-cover Rangers were the first vehicles I noticed with offensively bright headlights.
    I don't notice the lights being particularly great in my Aviator. Sometimes I can't even tell if they're on unless the foglights are on, shining on the area right in front of the car. I know they were just aimed too because it was in the body shop having a front end fender bender fixed.

I thought "projectors" were different from HIDs. I think my Milan had projectors, but they weren't purple like my Aviator's are.

I plan to get DOT approved glass front 4x6 housings that accept 9007 halogen bulbs. My car's wire harness is from a '90 Mustang, so it already has the relay.

It's pretty irresponsible driving at night with un-aimed headlights. Jus' sayin'.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

some time I got mix up I though other guys in coming traffic of me, turn on high beam, turn out its projector light, they just so dam bright and its hurt my eyes.

Yeah I was thinking they were some kind of new James Bond 007 lights or something... HAHA

Sorry I couldn't resist
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

I have a set, i like them, and they are whats known as harbour frieght quality lights. Decide from this point on. They smell like china plastic poison, just like harbour frieght when you walk thru the door.
    HARVESTER OF EYES

DAMN IT! LET THE RABBITS WEAR GLASSES, SAID THE CRIES OF THE CARROT.
    YOU SHOULD NEVER SMOKE IN PAJAMAS, YOU COULD CATCH ON FIRE AND BURN YOUR FACE.

Newfie63 thanks for the pic looks sharp. Thanks everyone for the input im definitely thinking about a set I'd want it for looks more than anything. Can't remember last time I drove mine at night drive about once a week never at night. From looking at some of the feed back on the ads looks like the only thing some where doing was having to trim the metal trim that holds them in is that correct ? I wouldn't hook up the blue light. If all I did is the trim I could get another set of trim keep my old lights a change them back in if I decided I didn't like them. Or I'll just get the projectile ones I originally asked about for deer hunting. Lol I messed the name up because I never heard of projector lights until yesterday don't know how I came up with projectile.
    Last edited by samsonhusky; 12-21-2014 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldManRiver View Post
    Their ad does say they're brighter,but judging by the reviews of the end user that isn't the case at all.To modify the car to fit them,not being DOT approved(if true),and producing less light then the originals I'd say they're not worth the money or effort to install,but......

OMR

I contacted AM and asked them if they were DOT approved. They said no. Perhaps other places may sell something that is DOT approved.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Late model restoration says there's is. http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...-Mustang-79-86

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I thought "projectors" were different from HIDs. I think my Milan had projectors, but they weren't purple like my Aviator's are.
    Yeah, I meant HIDs, but I'm pretty sure that some of the projectors are offensive too. Most new headlights. Shouldn't need welding glasses to drive at night.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Yeah, I meant HIDs, but I'm pretty sure that some of the projectors are offensive too. Most new headlights. Shouldn't need welding glasses to drive at night.
    Yeah, I agree with you there.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Have you guys been on new lexus, their headlight you can see the chipmunk from the tree. How that is approve ? lol

samsonhusky, No problem, and thank you! I can do a little picture digging, I took a few thousand pictures during this summer while i did my car, and I took some of the headlight modifications. One other thing though, before you put those in (H4 bulbs is what will be necessary), buy, or find 2 headlight relays! one for the high, and one for the high/low circuit, otherwise you'll blow headlight switches like they're going out of style (been there,done that) .

2 outside ones are (almost) untouched, 2 middle ones are what i had to do. I took a dremel tool with the mini 'cut-off grinding disc' made relief cuts and then cut out the circle, use the factory circles 'flat spot' at the end of the headlight bucket as a guide, its almost big enough. then take a stone tool in the dremel and clean the edges up so they aren't too sharp and call it a day lol

Name:  2014-04-27_15-21-16_756.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  104.2 KB

Thanks for the pic and info don't look like its that hard to do.

here's to the freakin' weekend,I'll drink to that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast