Close

Default Magnaflow Mufflers

Does anybody know anything about these magnaflow mufflers, how they sound? how loud? I guess compared to something more common like flowmaster 2 chamber or 3 chamber. Any info is appreciated. I'm thinking that they maybe 2.5 inch, I'm supposed to check them out later and possibly buy them. thanksName:  magnaflow.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  33.4 KB

I've got those on my car, and without tailpipes, they're loud as hell.
    When they were brand new, they were pretty quiet, as I fired the engine before putting the tailpipes on, to see how they sounded.
    When I put them on my next car, I decided to try leaving the tailpipes off and it was too loud, so I put them on. I never really noticed it getting louder through the tailpipes on the old car...
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Any muffler that uses sound-absorbent materials will get louder over time, and eventually become little
    more than an expansion chamber. Sound absorption works by vibration of the fibers in the material
    converting the sound energy to heat. Over time, the fibers will break down from the heat and vibration.
    The material can also absorb oil and soot from the exhaust, which will also reduce the ability of the fibers
    to absorb sound.

Magnaflow uses more durable materials than most, and they have an excellent warranty for the original
    purchaser. But I still wouldn't expect the sound absorption materials to last forever.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Makes sense. My Magnaflow system is like 8 years old now.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

These are basically like a big glasspack. I really like the way they sound and I had a set of them on my last car. When my budget allows I plan on a set for the Capri with 2.5" pipes. I think they'll sound even better with the X pipe I have on this car VS. the H pipe on the last one.
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

I have these on one of my coupes, and they are pretty quiet. Mine are fairly new. They are definitely a lot quieter than flowmasters. I do have bassani shorty headers and a bassani high-flow catted h-pipe with stainless stock tail pipes. I really like them. With my set-up, they sound like a deeper better sounding stock set-up. They have a nice low tone rumble at idle and a medium roar at throttle. Interior noise is minimum. They just sound like a nice "conservative" performance exhaust.

FEP Power Member

I think Magnaflows are a great compromise in getting that nice sound without being too loud. My friend put Borla's on his Stang and he ended up putting all this extra FatMat sound insulation in the back because the highway drone was driving him nuts.

Thanks for all the input. I did pick them up used. They are 2.5 inch. They do seem like a glass-pack in that they are basically a straight through design. I think I will be happy with them based on everything you guys are saying and what I heard on the magnaflow site.

FEP Senior Member

I love my magnaflows...neighbours probably not much. Mine are 2 1/4 with off road h-pipe, motorsport headers and 3 inch tips. I have a video somewhere of them with the original headers, off-road h-pipe blablabla.
    1985 Mustang Canadian Cobra
    It ain't Pretty but it doesn't care