Close

New User

Default Different capri tail lights...

Hey,
    I have a 1986 Mercury Capri and I was wondering if someone did something different with these tail lights? I have seen the usual mustang tail light conversion, but i was wondering if theres a conversion kit or something for something different? For example, the eleanor tail lights or LED oem capri tail lights or something while still keeping the bubble.
    Thanks

I am not aware of any other lights for the 83-86 Capri bubble backs. The lights are specific to those year models and the Capri only. I have not seen anything else in the aftermarket either due to the low production numbers of the Capri, I doubt we will see anything either.

There were the blacked out lens covers on the ASC McLaren Capri and you can find those parts here: http://www.ascmclaren.com/extparts.htm

Other than that, you are pretty much on your own and looking at either doing an LED bulb conversion if so inclined or you would have to find one of the aftermarket LED panel lights from another model that might physically fit inside the Capri tail lights and modify as needed for them to fit.

Good Luck and definitely post up anything you come up with.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Power Member

The Capri bubble hatch changes the back end. Not sure if standard Mustang tail lights will fit with the bobble hatch and matching bumper cover. Using the standard Mustang hatch and bumper cover would allow use of any Mustang tail lights. The Mexican Mustangs all seemed to use the complete Capri rear end parts.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

The tail light panel on the Capri bubble back is different than the same year model Mustangs. Yes, you can make the Mustang tail lights fit, but the holes that the light sockets go through in the panel are not the same and require modifications to work. You can install non bubble back lights and rear bumper cover, but IMHO it looks a bit "off" with the bubble hatch, it's not terrible, but still doesn't look right IMHO, but you may feel differently.

Here is an example of what it would look like. Although keep in mind that first this is an Aero Mustang so the tail lights are stock, as well as the rear bumper cover. They just added the Capri Bubble Hatch to it. Also the huge flares change the way the bubble hatch looks at the back it. The bubble will be more pronounced with normal Capri rear quarters.

Name:  100_1091_1.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  181.9 KBName:  100_1088_1.jpg
Views: 1105
Size:  196.8 KB

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller