Close

Default '86 SVO build thread

Started my '86 SVO build a while back. I bought this car about 2 years ago, after searching for an SVO mustang for almost 4 years, I found one in Shawnee after taking a wrong turn and finding this '86 sitting in a driveway. I bought it almost a year later and thats the long story short. I am the 3rd owner and the car was bought new in MO (lees summit if i remember correctly, or Liberty) it has sat alot, with no body rust, just light surface rust here and there underneath. The car was mostly stock, but had a cone filter, boost control valve, and FPR. Ran okay after doing some maintenance, i drove it off and on, it started smoking, and lost all guts it ever had. After a leak down test cyl. 2 and 3 were dead and leaking 90% past the rings. So the build began. Many thanks goes to shannon for being such a help since I was new to 4cyl turbo fords and I have always a a modular mustang or 5.0 fox.

The build is a follows.

Stinger FMIC
    Stinger 3" down and mid going to a dynomax dumped
    gillis BCV
    Paxton FPR
    Stinger PiMP
    ported/gutted intake
    walbro 255 pump
    e6 manifold

Engine
    Stock crank
    Crower rods
    studded/ strapped main
    arp head studs
    ranger cam (for now)
    home port head
    race eng inc round tooth conversion / adj. cam gear

probably missing some stuff, essentially the idea is to just get everything running smooth. the original idea was to reseal the engine and go from there, but I decided just to build around that idea while I was already into the car. Once we get it running and tuned, around tax season I am planning on doing a head and cam from bo and go from there.

Got the engine dropped in

Esslinger studded/strapped mains

About to pull the engine.

FEP Member

Nice SVO! Ill be following this.
    80 capri 2.3 4spd, megasquirt
    91 s10 v8, lowered completely shaved
    96 s10 zq8
    11 GTi
    13 Golf R
    74 karmann ghia

Good Looking SVO and a sounds like a great build plan!

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Looks sharp!!

Looks good, look forward to seeing more updates.....
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Blog Entries

That is a beautiful car. I'm thinking about doing one after I finish the Twister. Bad thing is they're getting so hard to find!
    1985 Mustang GT Twister II, Red, Hardtop, Light Gray Interior, 5 Speed, 2.73

Mustangs of the Past:
    1990 GT, Red, 5 Speed
    1992 LX 5.0 Notchback, Auto, 125 HP ZEX Nitrous Shot
    1988 LX 4 Cyl, 5 Speed

"I like baseball, movies, good clothes, whiskey, fast cars ... and you. What else you need to know?"

Thanks for all of the replies! I will be updating this as I make progress. I have some pictures I need to post as I am actually. Earing the end of the build. More updates will come after xmas since I am going on vacation!
    Have
    '84 GT
    '86 SVO 2R
    '02 GT

Quote Originally Posted by 85TwisterII View Post
    That is a beautiful car. I'm thinking about doing one after I finish the Twister. Bad thing is they're getting so hard to find!
    I would love to have a twister once I finish the svo. One pops up on kc craigslist once in a while.
    Have
    '84 GT
    '86 SVO 2R
    '02 GT

Looking good! Still love a red SVO.

FEP Member

Looking really good man.

FEP Member

What brand of Pistons are you using?
    96 s10 zq8
    11 GTi
    13 Golf R
    74 karmann ghia

Quote Originally Posted by tonyorlo View Post
    What brand of Pistons are you using?
    O.E pistons, bores were almost perfect with extremely minimal taper/wear., so only honed they cylinders.
    Last edited by SVOfish; 12-16-2014 at 09:53 PM.
    Have
    '84 GT
    '86 SVO 2R
    '02 GT

FEP Member

Oh nice, can't go wrong with that.
    96 s10 zq8
    11 GTi
    13 Golf R
    74 karmann ghia

It's been a long time since I have updated on the SVO. The car has come a long way, short block was built and is now sporting crower rods, ARP main, and head studs, with esslinger main straps. Tim O. ported/big valve head, converted to solid roller, sporting a Schneider custom cam, stinger performance PI.M.P ECU, stinger FMIC (With a couple of tweeks having to be made due to the header setup) a bo-port center mount header, topped off with a Garrett ball bearding GT3076R turbo, gutted/ rotated upper intake, and ported/knife edge lower, with a sn95 TB, I still need to get a downpipe made, as well as get the rest of the exhaust hung. I have mainly been working on suspension the last few weeks to get everything ready to roll. Expect more updates, and of course, here are some pictures.
    Name:  unnamed (5).jpg
Views: 262
Size:  103.4 KB
    Name:  unnamed (3).jpg
Views: 258
Size:  103.5 KB
    Name:  unnamed (1).jpg
Views: 259
Size:  100.8 KB
    Have
    '84 GT
    '86 SVO 2R
    '02 GT

Neat. I like it. So here is my prediction. I have been wrong before, after all, I am married....(insert rim-shot here). It's not a negative comment and I don't mean anything bad by it, I am just saying. 3 1/2 years since the last post. Here are some new pictures......I believe this car will be for sale here shortly...yes/no?

I have one for sale right now in the classifieds FWIW. I don't mean anything by it. Just my guess.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Name:  unnamed (7).jpg
Views: 257
Size:  47.0 KB
    Name:  unnamed (8).jpg
Size:  87.5 KB

Tim O. cylinder head, He did some great work and porting.

Name:  svo.jpg
Size:  93.4 KB
    Name:  unnamed (2).jpg
Views: 259
Size:  93.8 KB

How the car is sitting now with the H&R sports, I tried the MM Ball joint adapters with SN95 control arms, and retaining the SVO spindle. I did not like the setup, so I am going back to SVO control arms so it will ride and drive like it used to, which was great. I swapped the rear LCAs for MM units. I will get some front end pictures and updates once I get the control arms back, and get going on finishing the front end up.
    Have
    '84 GT
    '86 SVO 2R
    '02 GT

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Neat. I like it. So here is my prediction. I have been wrong before, after all, I am married....(insert rim-shot here). It's not a negative comment and I don't mean anything bad by it, I am just saying. 3 1/2 years since the last post. Here are some new pictures......I believe this car will be for sale here shortly...yes/no?

I have one for sale right now in the classifieds FWIW. I don't mean anything by it. Just my guess.

No offense taken, after all, it is 3 1/2 years later. I have not been on the forum consistently, but plan to change that. The SVO was my DD for some time, off and on with my '02 GT. It started smoking, and we found that cylinder 2, and 3 were down on compression, a leak down test would confirm bad rings. This build thread was started, mostly as an outline of what I would like to do to the SVO. What ended up happening, was the engine was removed, many odds and ends were fixed, and countless hours were poured into the planning of the car, and getting things ready to roll. It started as a slow project, fresh bottom end, and just some bolt ons and a tune to start with. The car was then back on the road. I then, like many of us do, bought ANOTHER 4 eye (84 GT, to be exact) and started working on it, as the SVO was still running fine since the rebuild of the bottom end. I would work on parts of the SVO here, and there. Sourcing parts that need replaced, fixing some wiring from the previous owner ETC.. this brings us to last summer (April to be exact) I decided to go on, and finish the SVO how I wanted it to always be, a couple years older, out of college, and a income to accommodate a bigger build (Keep in mind I was in college when I bought the SVO) I sent the head off, went back to the drawing board, and changed a ton on the car, now it is time to finish the suspension and get it tuned with the new setup and back on the road. The car will not be up for sale, but I do look to actually keep up with this build thread now since the build has actually happened.

Here is a picture I meant to post earlier, of what the engine bay looked like the day I bought it. Exterior of the car was in good shape, as well as the interior. I would like to paint the interior panels, and lay new carpet/ tidy up some odds and ends once the suspension is done, and I get it tuned.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SVOfish; 06-16-2017 at 08:45 PM.
    Have
    '84 GT
    '86 SVO 2R
    '02 GT

Nice looking SVO! I like the Cobra wheels too!
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Very nice, I'll be keeping an eye on this... I am very strongly considering a 2.3t swap for my 92 lx.

AWESOME! Glad to hear it.
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

Thank you for the kind replies. Just replaced sway bar bushings, and painted the sway bar and brackets. Kind of a slow time right now. Waiting to get the control arms back, which I will post pictures of. Then it's ready for exhaust.
    Have
    '84 GT
    '86 SVO 2R
    '02 GT

Got the exhaust back from being made. 304 stainless, tig welded, 3" all the way back with flex coupler, and a bassani straight through oval muffler, all v band connections. Need to wrap the down pipe, and order my engine harness and install/ wire tuck. Getting closer and slowly making progress!

Name:  IMG_0879.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  37.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_0880.jpg
Size:  29.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_0881.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  19.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_0882.jpg
Size:  17.6 KB