Close

Default Starter not Turning Off

Well I got my harness swap all done (replaced the dash and body harness's..mine were cut up and the ones I got weren't), and the car started up....but it then made a god awful noise like metal on metal contact from spinning objects. My best guess is the starter isn't turning off. Anybody have any knowledge on what would cause this? I have a new ignition box, uncut factory harness's, new starter, new starter solenoid, new ignition switch...basically everything is new in the starting system.

My car is an 85GT 4bbl with a 5-speed. Honestly if we can't get this figured out I'm gonna give up on her, so please let me know what you think and any additional info that might help.

Thanks

**btw, I put this here in general tech cause I'm not sure what the problem is.**
    Last edited by TopGear85; 12-15-2014 at 12:19 AM.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Have a helper put a meter on the starter side of the solenoid to see if the starter is still powered up after the key is released.
    It could be the new starter is sticking out and not returning.
    If the power is still on, then you have to find what is keeping power to the starter.
    The helper could also pull the little wire off the solenoid coil if you find the power is not dropping off.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Thanks Ray, I'll try that today. I did a google search and I found someone suggesting that I pull the small wire and have someone use a test light on it to see if power stays on it when the key switches from start to run (it said the test light should shut off when the key moves to run). It said that if power stays on then I have a short to ground somewhere in the system. Well I did that and power did turn off like its supposed to, so that indicates that my solenoid might be bad. I'm gonna return this solenoid and get a new one and see what happens. I will do your test with the new solenoid if the problem persists (I would do your test now, but I'm at work).

Let's hope it's just a bad McParts Store solenoid. I'll keep you all posted.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Mike,

Do you still have the relay hooked up opposite of the Manual or did you try swapping that? Just a thought that if you have it wired backwards, it might be possible that is your problem. Worth taking the 10 minutes to swap it IMHO.

Good Luck and let us know what you find out.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I ended up wiring it like the manual first, but when it acted up I swapped it back....it still acted up. Unfortunately that wasn't it but I agree it was worth trying. I ordered a new Motorcraft solenoid so hopefully that does it.

Can anyone tell me if my 85GT has EEC (electronic emission control)? I want to get a new set of plug wires and the O'reily's computer is saying there are 85GT's with EEC and without, so I need to know what mine is.

Thank you to everyone that's helping me. I appreciate it.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

EEC = Electronic Engine Control

Your 85 GT does not have EEC because it is a 4V model. If it were a CFI model if would have EEC. (And the version of EEC would be "EEC-IV" or "EEC-4".)
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

That's funny cause I looked at their computer screen and it said electronic emissions control. God help them, they probably give people the wrong parts all the time.

Thanks Fox!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

I don't expect any different from any of the parts stores that use computers/databases to look up parts. The books had something wrong occasionally but nothing near as bad as those damned computer parts databases have.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

One note TopGear85
    check the wires, inside the boot and any dirty on the wires... its life time part and some time they forgot return it and just put it back on the shelf. Its good wire ( the BWD Select ), I use it all on my daily drive, some even 10 years and still strong. Hope your problem fix so you can heard the engine running again.
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

Mike,

Have you replaced your ignition switch with all your dash work? Based upon your symptoms, I would bet the issue is there or as you mentioned a possible short to ground somewhere.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I did replace the ignition switch, and I'm hoping I don't have a short to ground. I thought the test I did ruled that out...man I hope it did cause that's worse case right there.

I got a new solenoid and I'm gonna try that when I get home. If it doesn't fix the problem then it's back to the drawing board.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Its either the solenoid or the ignition switch sticking. Unplug the small wire to the solenoid and check that first. You may just have something wired wrong. Sometimes if you crank the engine for a long time the guts in the solenoid will heat up and melt and it sticks so that the starter never shuts off.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

I had a similar problem receintly... Check this thread
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...tarter+running
    Scott
    Picayune,MS 39466
    Torch Red 2004 Mach 1 Mustang
    Silver 85 GT
    Previous set up...
    306, Lunati flat tappet, Eddy Performer Heads, RPM intake, Holley 650DP, Shorty Headers, Flowmasters, 3.73, T5. 12.92 @109

Current set up,,,
    408w, Internally balanced Scat rotating assy, Comp Hyd roller, Brodix heads, eddy air gap RPM intake, PowerjectionIII EFI, Longtube 1-3/4 headers, Flowmasters, 3.55 Cobra 31 spline diff w/Moser axles, TKO 600 5spd, Mcleod dual disc street clutch... ET... Traction Limited 11.93 @120mph

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

I had 3 bad in a row solenoid s from stores I would try a known good one before you put that to rest
    Also the starter I would Question that as well look for rubbing on the block plate to bell housing sometimes that will be distorted a bit and could rub for your grinding noise
    My starter was brand new and it was puliing over 800 amps when it got hot it lugged and couldn't hit until it cooled down
    Don't give up good luck

Update: I fell asleep last night before I could swap out the solenoid (I just switched from nights to days at work, so my system is all jacked up), but I got up early today and did the job.....it fired up and sounded great with no annoying starter hasn't shut off sound. Success!

It turns out I didn't replace the solenoid (I thought I did, but I think we ruled it out last time so I returned it), because the one I pulled out was the original E5 unit. My bad.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd