Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    Yeah, right, pull me in. I think they're all just a little bit touched in the head. So long as you regularly change your oil and filter on a street car, you're pretty much good. I think those guys are wasting way too much of their life.
    I think the same, but im not judging any body lol. I got pull in for many years, develope some behave that I do not like and my wife do not like. I think like u think, just use what ever, and change regulary, and if it broken, i pay some one to fix it and not worried about every little thing. Just drive... it feel good to be free from all that worried behave thought. Some time listen too much opinion can made u stress. So I just stick with well know brand and follow owner manual and its all good.
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

Yeah, right, pull me in. I think they're all just a little bit touched in the head....
    did you play Assassins Creed too?! J/K...was the 1st time I had ever heard that phrase LOL
    '85 T-Top GT 5.0L HO 5spd
    Breathing upgrades/Stock block

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTx2 View Post
    did you play Assassins Creed too?! J/K...was the 1st time I had ever heard that phrase LOL
    BIG FAN OF AC Here... love my xbox , I might come out nerdy here, I do play some WoW from time to time ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    BIG FAN OF AC Here... love my xbox , I might come out nerdy here, I do play some WoW from time to time ^^
    OUTSTANDING!!! Ive played ALL the AC and cant wait to get the newest one!!

Lovin the change from user to Member!!
    Last edited by 85GTx2; 12-16-2014 at 02:36 PM. Reason: milestone post

Quote Originally Posted by 85GTx2 View Post
    No I just grew up out in the sticks. We used that phrase quite a bit!
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

I'm one that does cut open oil filters from time to time, mainly 'cause I want to see what's trapped in 'em.
    Haven't cut one open in awhile though, so I can't comment on any currently alleged quality defects.

I pretty much only use Motorcraft on Fords 'cause they're generally a well-made filter, and WalMart has the
    FL1As for < $4. I won't use Fram, mainly because of the poor quality of the drainback valves they use, but
    also because I just don't care for how they're made. And besides, that shade of orange has no place under
    the hood of a Ford...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    ...And besides, that shade of orange has no place under
    the hood of a Ford...
    SAAAA-LUTE!!

I can't believe there is a forum where people actually cut filters open and look at them.
    Cutting oil filters open is what you do every time you change the oil on a small airplane. Its required. The things you can learn from looking at the element and doing an oil analysis is frightening.

That being said, do you need to do it to a car engine? Not really but it is a good way to see how the filter is made.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    I'm one that does cut open oil filters from time to time, mainly 'cause I want to see what's trapped in 'em.
    Haven't cut one open in awhile though, so I can't comment on any currently alleged quality defects.

I pretty much only use Motorcraft on Fords 'cause they're generally a well-made filter, and WalMart has the
    FL1As for < $4. I won't use Fram, mainly because of the poor quality of the drainback valves they use, but
    also because I just don't care for how they're made.
    I use nothing but Fram "ULTRA" oil filters on all of our cars. They are under $10.00 at Wally-World, and the quality of the ultra is right up there with Motorcraft, NAPA Gold, & Wix…..besides, they are golden colored instead of the funky cheap Fram "orange-glow"!
    Ron

Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

Here is a thread from the TCCoA forum about opening up oil filters & examining them that will keep you in reading material for quite a while.
    http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=145188
    Ron
    I never seem to get the nut that holds the steering wheel fixed

I've never noticed the difference in gasoline with any 200I6 I've owned but my dad's Toyota '89 pick up may be fussy. I should try Chevron or such and see how it does after three or so tanks worth - now that gas is less than $2.75/gallon in Southern Cal!

Oil? All I know is if you don't change the oil until ten thousand miles expect a 289 V8 or 200 I6 to use a quart every 700 miles afterwards. I've been more careful with the rebuilt 302 in the '78 wagon (which unfortunately, has been sitting for a few years due to the wagon rusting to pieces).
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

I work in the oil industry, specifically pipelines and terminals. What I can tell you is that all base gasoline has to meet the same API standards. Now base gasoline is roughly 89-90% of the finished product in areas where ethanol is used. Then the ethanol and detergent additive is blended in as the truck loads at the terminal which is the last stop before it heads to the gas station. I live in a major metro area and just about all of the refineries in this area are run by companies that most people have never heard of yet they supply local terminals ( and not so local also) who supply local gas stations. We pump batches of gasoline that go to a whole list of retailers including top brands, it's called a fungible batch. The primary difference between generic gasoline and name brand gasoline is the detergent additive which makes up close to 1% of the finished product. So just because gasoline is sold at say an Exxon station it doesn't necessarily mean it was refined at a Exxon refinery or loaded at a Exxon terminal. What it means is that Exxon is marketing it through whatever terminal they have an agreement with in the area and they are putting their proprietary detergent additive in the gasoline. In that scenario the same refinery may be making gas for several other retailers in the area as well.

One thing about some of the independent stations is some will put regular in the premium tanks. I worked delivering gas and know of 2 local that would do it. Yes illegal but it happens.

That's true and those kind of gas stations are the ones that are more likely to have excess water in their tanks or any other issues. I've even heard stories of over-charging customers (though I don't know exactly how they pull that off). But some regions have a chain of "non-branded" gas stations ,quick trip,wawa etc that I believe are legit and sell the same quality fuel you get anywhere with a generic detergent additive. I would be interested to see a long term study comparing branded and non-branded gasoline.

Quote Originally Posted by BLK BRD 88 View Post
    I use nothing but Fram "ULTRA" oil filters on all of our cars. They are under $10.00 at Wally-World, and the quality of the ultra is right up there with Motorcraft, NAPA Gold, & Wix…..besides, they are golden colored instead of the funky cheap Fram "orange-glow"!
    Ron
    Ron
    Ultra = 2-3 motorcraft oil filter, 2x napa gold ( wix ), peoples leave it on for 2 oil change 10k-14k miles, and send oil sample to lab and it came back with excellent result, myself I do not have ball to leave oil filter in for 2 oil change, I like fresh oil + fresh oil filter every oil change. It made me sleep well at night

right now I am drop motorcraft oil filter for now, and using Ultra or wix or Fram Tough Guard ( they are pretty good oil filter now).

They are suppposed to check the pumps monthly. They are mainly looking to make sure when you pump 1 gallon it really is 1 gallon. I would have thought they would check octane bit not sure what equipment would be needed.

I remember a certain gas station owner in SE Ga that spent time in federal prison for having the pumps shortchange. Think of how much money is in that when you are pumping thousands of gallons a day from just one station.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Just skimmed through this thread and got a chuckle out of the price of the FL-1A oil filter. It has more than doubled since 2014.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12