Close

Thread: Fairmont To LTD

Default Fairmont To LTD

Anyone ever notice this before? I think the LTD's rear window is the same as a Futura/Z7. So, what they would have done to get an LTD from a Fairmont, is take a Fairmont sedan, swap the boxtop roofline for the Futura/Z7's, slap a new front and back on it, apply T-bird dash and boom, LTD. Parts bin engineering at its finest.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

How about the Granada/Cougar and LTD/Marquis wagon? Toss on new bumpers front and back with encaps or full mouldings; change the header panel, grill, hood, and fenders; add different side mouldings and taillights and voila! Four new wagon styles from the original two. Oh, I guess I forgot the completely revamped (borrowed) dash assembly the LTD/Marguis received but the Granada/Cougar used the same ol' dash shell from the FZs, took the Mustang dash pad, and the only different thing they changed were the instrument cluster and the dash bezel around it. Talk about low buck model creation! lol.

At least the Futura/Z7 didn't share the same body stampings with the LTD/Marquis (their tail light assemblies do not interchange without some modifications).
    Last edited by Dean_T; 12-16-2014 at 11:12 PM.
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    How about the Granada/Cougar and LTD/Marquis wagon? Toss on new bumpers front and back with encaps or full mouldings; change the header panel, grill, hood, and fenders; add different side mouldings and taillights and voila! Four new wagon styles from the original two. Oh, I guess I forgot the completely revamped (borrowed) dash assembly the LTD/Marguis received but the Granada/Cougar used the same ol' dash shell from the FZs, took the Mustang dash pad, and the only different thing they changed were the instrument cluster and the dash bezel around it. Talk about low buck model creation! lol.

At least the Futura/Z7 didn't share the same body stampings with the LTD/Marquis (their tail light assemblies do not interchange without some modifications).
    Haha, true. I don't know why more F/Z guys don't swap in the Granada/Cougar cluster just for something different.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Probably because they're hard to find and didn't have a cop speedo option
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura