Close

Default Universal Power Window Kit?

Anyone ever use one? I notice there's a wide range of them. I'm drawn to the cable type because they look easy and convenient to install. They featured one on Trucks this season that LMC carries. I think they put it in all their catalogs and it costs $169.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=18

There's also one on ebay that looks the same for $69.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Quality...-/271451209851

I'm all for paying for quality and something that's made better, but they really do look like the same kit. I notice that Summit also has a universal kit that replaces your regulator, but it says it's for street rods, so I'm skeptical about that one, and it has a really bad review. I have some Mustang power regulators, motors, and harnesses in my junk collection, but I've heard they won't work on an F/Z. And I'm fairly sure an F/Z power regular is going to be next to impossible to find. Used, repro, or otherwise. Any thoughts?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Unfortunately I don't have any great information to pass on to you. I have heard from several sources that Electric Life kits have switch and wire harness issues and quality problems. I have also heard that Nu-Relics Power Windows makes a quality unit, but I don't see that they offer anything specific to your Zephyr. You might be able to make one of their other kits work, but I am not sure.

As for LMC Truck, I have had good luck with them in regards to regular body parts, seals, etc., but I have not bought anything electrical from them, so I can't comment good or bad in that regard. I did have a couple of aftermarket power window kits bookmarked, but that was on my old laptop. I will try and find them again and PM them to you to check out.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Unfortunately I don't have any great information to pass on to you. I have heard from several sources that Electric Life kits have switch and wire harness issues and quality problems. I have also heard that Nu-Relics Power Windows makes a quality unit, but I don't see that they offer anything specific to your Zephyr. You might be able to make one of their other kits work, but I am not sure.

As for LMC Truck, I have had good luck with them in regards to regular body parts, seals, etc., but I have not bought anything electrical from them, so I can't comment good or bad in that regard. I did have a couple of aftermarket power window kits bookmarked, but that was on my old laptop. I will try and find them again and PM them to you to check out.

Good Luck!

Trey
    Funny you mention the harness and switches. I'm planning on using the Ford wiring where-ever possible and the Mustang switches in my center console to control them. Anyway, I don't doubt they have quality problems at that price. If you find the good ones you were thinking of, let me know! I'm not having any luck myself. A google search just yields mostly eBay and Amazon, which is just the stuff I've already found.

Can anyone tell me why the Mustang stuff doesn't work?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I can't say that the Mustang stuff wouldn't work, but again I have never owned a F/Z vehicle, so I am not the expert.

Have you considered getting a window regulator and power motor from a Mustang to compare to yours and see what if any difference there is? It might be worth looking at. I have converted several Mustang/Capri to power windows, but I generally just used spare power window regulators and motors, so I am not sure if there is any difference between the power and non power regulators as I have never looked at them that closely, there probably are differences, but again I can't say what they are.

What about just getting some power regulators out of a comparable year model F/Z if possible. This has been a good source for me when looking for parts that are available locally. http://car-part.com/

Trey
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Yeah, I have the Mustang power window stuff from the parts car I got the engine from. Haven't gotten around to taking the doors apart and comparing them, but RED78 said once he converted one of his cars and the Mustang stuff won't work. I'm not against getting creative with it though.

Also, if you DO find F/Z or LTD/Marquis power regulators, they will most likely be for a 4-door. I have no idea if 4-doors use different regulators than 2-doors. It would be so handy if I had access to a parts database. It would've saved me a lot of trial and error over the course of this project.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    If you DO find F/Z or LTD/Marquis power regulators, they will most likely be for a 4-door. I have no idea if 4-doors use different regulators than 2-doors. It would be so handy if I had access to a parts database. It would've saved me a lot of trial and error over the course of this project.
    I never really thought about that. Measure your non-power 2-door sedan regulator, and I will measure my 4-door non-power regulator. I bet they are different sizes, but it can't hurt to look into it.

They do differ in size from front to back.
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

Thanks! I'll have to pop off my door panel.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I just looked on Rock Auto and the interesting thing is that it shows that the Power Window motor for your 2 door are opposite of a 4 door. Essentially your Driver side front door uses the same motor as the Passenger Front door or the Driver Rear door from a 4 door. The Passenger side front door for the 2 door uses the Driver side front door or Passenger rear window motor from the 4 door.

I don't know what that means for regulators, but maybe that helps some.

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Oh! I also found that Rock Auto shows both Motorcraft power window motors for your 2 door coupe in stock and ready to ship!

Check that out when you have a chance!

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I wonder if those motors are different from the Mustang ones I have. It'd be more helpful if they had the regulator, haha.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Although it's not a quick fix, but I wonder if the regulators for the rear door might work for the front on your 2 door? Again, I have no idea since I have never owned a F/Z, but just a thought.

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

According to Rock Auto's cross reference the power window motors fit mid 80's to mid 90's Tempo, Topaz, E series, F series, and Broncos.

Unfortunately it appears they are different than the Mustang power window motors.

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    According to Rock Auto's cross reference the power window motors fit mid 80's to mid 90's Tempo, Topaz, E series, F series, and Broncos.

Unfortunately it appears they are different than the Mustang power window motors.

Trey
    Naturally.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Click on the image to go to the page where you can enlarge the pictures.

Yeah, I bought a couple motors from a Mustang and they do not fit.
    You need the old round heavy ones from just about any other car model.
    Not the ones I show on page 1 of my power window writeup, but the ones that are on page 3.
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

Quote Originally Posted by RED 78' View Post

Click on the image to go to the page where you can enlarge the pictures.

Yeah, I bought a couple motors from a Mustang and they do not fit.
    You need the old round heavy ones from just about any other car model.
    Not the ones I show on page 1 of my power window writeup, but the ones that are on page 3.
    Thanks! I'll spend some time over there. But what this pic proves, pretty much is that I'm screwed if I want to try to use factory parts. I've never even heard of a 2 door that has power windows (except yours, I guess).
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Power Member

You don't mention what year you are working with but your signature shows 79. The Ford parts book 1980 and up shows the following using the same Regulator Assembly, Front Door and electric less motor and drive: Right D8BZ-6623208-A, Left D8BZ-6623209-A. "66" in the part number designates 2 door.

80/81 Zephyr 2 door
    80/83 Fairmont 2 door
    81/82 Cougar except xr7 (no Tbird) 2 door
    81/82 Granada 2 door

While I cannot be 100% sure, since the part number is a 1978 number and the Zephyr came out about 78, it's likely the same part 78 to 81. My parts book starts at 1980. It seems the T-bird/xr7 got a redesigned part about 1980. Everything else got redesigned for 1983. Hope that helps.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Thank you! Yes, I'm working with a '79 2-door boxtop Zephyr. Unfortunately, I think the 2-door Granada and SWB Cougar are even harder to find that Fairmont/Zephyrs. But at least we now have some cross-reference information. And it still looks like I'm screwed, haha.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Mike1157

I'll be your guinea pig Brad. I fully intend to use the Summit kit that you cited earlier to solve my lack of a power window as well. I'd have bought them already, but they were on a birthday/Christmas gift list I gave to the wife, and if I buy something that she ends up giving me for Christmas,........well,.......things wont be so merry and bright on the 25th.
    So I gotta wait.
    Till the 26th.

Haha, okay. Let me know!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Hey, what about cobbling together a power regulator out of parts from my manual one and the Mustang power one? Is it possible?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Put that ebay kit in my 05 ranger when new ,use it every day, that's 9 years ago, was easy to install with no problems yet.
    here's to the freakin' weekend,I'll drink to that

Quote Originally Posted by craigerSS View Post
    Put that ebay kit in my 05 ranger when new ,use it every day, that's 9 years ago, was easy to install with no problems yet.
    Great to know, thank you!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST