Is that a common setup on these cars?
    79 pace car 2.3 efi turbo
    02 GT
    88 turbo coupe (sold)
    81 hatch 351 Cleveland (sold)
    86 GT (sold)
    91 GT Supercharged 347 Stroker (sold)

FEP Member

As some of you know I am working out the bugs on my PC. While I am doing that I am also working on ideas for paint. As you can see in the pics it is currently orange and desperately needs paint. I would really like to get some ideas from you all on which route I should go. One option is to go back with orange but have a quality job done. Not what is on it now. The only reason I am considering that is because the engine bay,jams and everything else is already orange. So a orange repaint is probably the most effective. The other plan I have is go back with the original pace car theme. I know it will look a little different since it has side skirts on it and will have a 93 cobra bumper. A buddy of mine has offered me a set of svo sail panels. But not sure I want to get that far away from it still looking like a pace car and not an svo. Anyways shoot me some ideas and opinions.
    02 GT
    88 turbo coupe (sold)
    86 GT (sold)

Leave the current sail panels on it. Go back with the original pace car theme paint. Those skirts painted lower body color will look fine IMO. Just my 2 cents!

In regards to the color on your PC, that's only something that you can decide. Ultimately you have to live with it. Keep in mind that if at some point in time you want to sell it, the color you choose may affect your selling price and ability to sell it.

Personally I was never wild about the original Pace Car Pewter, and I have considered repainting mine with a different silver, but close to original. I have also seen a black PC, and a white PC. Both of those used the OEM style graphics and looked good. You could do something similar with yours if you go with the orange and maybe change up the graphics to make it all work. It would all be custom and more expensive, but if done right it would be very cool!

Even if you stay with orange, but choose a different orange color, then to do a "good quality" paint job will require all the jambs, engine bay, etc. be repainted so at that point it doesn't matter what color you choose, it's the same amount of work and materials.

Also I have the SVO sail panels on my PC and love them! I also have the Wings West 93 Cobra side skirts and the rear valance too and no one has ever confused my PC with a SVO.

Here is a pic of mine.

Name:  015.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  121.0 KB

Here is the black Pace Car.

Name:  81ae_20.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  85.8 KB

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Member

They both look really cool. I am going to play around with Photoshop and see what I can come up with.
    02 GT
    88 turbo coupe (sold)
    86 GT (sold)

What is the latest on your car?

FEP Member

I am installing the fuel pump,fixing gas tank leak,replacing filler neck gasket installing taillights and fog lights this weekend. I was able to get fuel and fire to the engine so it should run. I still have not decided on paint scheme.
    02 GT
    88 turbo coupe (sold)
    86 GT (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by 1redjet View Post
    I still have not decided on paint scheme.
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by RED 78' View Post
    lol that's hilarious! I am actually considering sticking with orange and black.
    02 GT
    88 turbo coupe (sold)
    86 GT (sold)

^^I love it, I love it....at least that's how Roscoe P. Coltrane would put it. Maybe I would swap the "Starts and Bars" out for something a little less controversial, like maybe the Stars and Stripes, but otherwise it's perfect! Lol

If it was me, seriously, I would go with the original PC paint and graphics scheme. I think some PC's got horrible color combos (I'm thinking about a certain corvette with yellow wheels and seats), but we got one of the coolest looking styling packages of any Indy Pace Car to date (imo). It's over the top with the Orange stripes and loaded with graphics, but they all work together very well. You can make your PC mild like a stocker, in-between like Trey's (with ground effects and a few other exterior changes) or over the top like 69Clarks (where do I begin...) but if you keep the original paint and graphics combo it always looks good (and stands out).

We got lucky because our PC really is amazing, and it's a hella important car for the history of the Fox Mustang. I would just urge you to keep the heritage and importance of the car by returning it to its stock appearance (or close to stock). Even with the stock treatment, you will still have a hard time seeing another one at a show or cruise.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

What does the tailpipe on your car look like? From what I can see, it looks a little stockish and if it is a factory 79 one and solid, it's worth some money.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

FEP Member

From what I can tell it is original. I plan on keeping it on the car.
    02 GT
    88 turbo coupe (sold)
    86 GT (sold)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123