Close

Default 10 hole wheels - custom 18"....?

I have had this crazy thought to keep my Capri as stock looking as possible. Due to the brakes I am putting on it, I have to run 18" wheels. I have thought it would be cool to have a set up 10 holes made up but in 18". My thoughts are these would look stock until you got a really good look at them. Pretty much would have to enlarge the holes to keep to 10" and the look. I figure these would cost a mint to be made, but we all have crazy dreams, right?

What do you think? Am I totaly nuts?

Steve O.
    BC MI
    1985 Capri
    347 (Baker Engineering built, Dart block, GT40x, RPM air-gap, Mahle pistons, custom cam...)
    5 speed RS
    Ext - Red/Grey
    Int - Tan

There have been rumblings of a possible reproduction set of 10 holes in 17" similar to the Pony wheels, but nothing has actually been produced as of yet to my knowledge. I know the 3D renderings I saw, didn't look right to me when they tried to upscale the holes.

As with most things, with enough money you can do anything you want or fix anything you want. If it's worth it to you, then contact one of the many custom wheel manufacturers and have them CNC you a set of wheels that suit your needs. Just be ready as you will most likely be in the $2000-$5000 range on a set of custom one off wheels depending on the complexity, the actual size, etc.

Although I think it's cool and a neat idea, I personally don't like the 10 holes that much to want to spend that kind of money on them. I have had similar ideas for the TRX wheels to have a set done up in 5 lug and 17" size to fit my Pace Car, so I could have a more stock look in some ways, but again, if I am going to spend that kind of cash, just give me a sweet set of BBS, Forgestar, Kinesis, Forgeline, or others and I would be just as happy.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

18 look too big for our fox, 17 is the biggest I go.

and I think 10 holes wheel look better then they smaller.
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

Trey - I agree with you on there are better options for that kind of $$$ - lighter, stronger - better wheels. Good to hear that this has somewhat been seen, at least renderings. I too would like to keep somewhat of a stock look but need to accept it ain't gonna happen with the brakes I picked up. Just couldn't pass em up for the price.

Thanks again
    1985 Capri
    347 (Baker Engineering built, Dart block, GT40x, RPM air-gap, Mahle pistons, custom cam...)
    5 speed RS
    Ext - Red/Grey
    Int - Tan

Quote Originally Posted by Cougarmanjr View Post
    I have had this crazy thought to keep my Capri as stock looking as possible. Due to the brakes I am putting on it, I have to run 18" wheels. I have thought it would be cool to have a set up 10 holes made up but in 18". My thoughts are these would look stock until you got a really good look at them. Pretty much would have to enlarge the holes to keep to 10" and the look. I figure these would cost a mint to be made, but we all have crazy dreams, right?

What do you think? Am I totaly nuts?

Steve O.
    BC MI
    You are totally nuts. Ten holes are hideous. And a 18" version would definitely not look 'stock'. Maybe a 16" version, but then they would still look like 10 holes.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

I don't think you're crazy, if you want the stock look but have to have bigger wheels it would be awesome to make a one off set of 18" ten holes. Like Trey said, I thought about having a custom set of 16-17" Trx's made when I had my 79 PC because I like the look of that wheel and I wanted stock looking, but a bigger size (and non metric). I would be worried about the proportions when going up to 18", but with enough money I'm sure you could get them made to your liking.

You would probably be the only cat out there with 18" ten holes, and that would be pretty cool too!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

I don't think you're crazy, if you want the stock look but have to have bigger wheels it would be awesome to make a one off set of 18" ten holes. Like Trey said, I thought about having a custom set of 16-17" Trx's made when I had my 79 PC because I like the look of that wheel and I wanted stock looking, but a bigger size (and non metric). I would be worried about the proportions when going up to 18", but with enough money I'm sure you could get them made to your liking.

You would probably be the only cat out there with 18" ten holes, and that would be pretty cool too. My guess is those wheels would draw a lot more attention than a similarly priced set of aftermarket wheels because there is a big segment of people that like the stock look.
    Last edited by TopGear85; 12-12-2014 at 10:23 PM.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang-junky View Post
    You are totally nuts. Ten holes are hideous. And a 18" version would definitely not look 'stock'. Maybe a 16" version, but then they would still look like 10 holes.

Jess
    this dude get it

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    this dude get it
    Love my 10 holes. Would love a set of 17's, but not sure the upgraded brakes
    are worth it unless you are road racing. Put 2000 Stang HB on my dads LTD
    and it was a substantial upgrade over the same essential braking system in my
    Capri. I'm sure they would fade as quick as the Capri brakes from multiple stops
    from high speed, but that never happens on the street for me.

Obviously you also get much better tire selection, etc with the 17's, but it
    might be cheaper overall to source HB and the best rotors/calipers/pads you can get
    that fit 15's...........
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

I can't tell you how many sets of 10 hole wheels I have let go to the bone yard, I had a pair of snow tires mounted on 2 of them back when these cars were brand new, I never thought anyone would desire them, although when ten hole wheels are dipped in some chrome they kinda look OK to me on the 4 eyed cars, too bad they weren't at least 16"

Quote Originally Posted by 87TtopGT View Post
    I can't tell you how many sets of 10 hole wheels I have let go to the bone yard, I had a pair of snow tires mounted on 2 of them back when these cars were brand new, I never thought anyone would desire them, although when ten hole wheels are dipped in some chrome they kinda look OK to me on the 4 eyed cars, too bad they weren't at least 16"
    because of that, now 10 holes wheel is worth alot for some peoples ( those that want return stock look ). Take me 2 years to find a correct casting # for my 85, if you have a correct set for your mustang, I would suggest hold on to it.

Looks like Pony R is the guy that was going to do it but that was years ago and there has been no word on if he is going to do it or not thanks to him getting ripped off.

http://forums.corral.net/forums/whee...-10-holes.html

Darren
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/attachme...1&d=1418488062
    '83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/attachme...2&d=1418488063
    '93 331W Mustang coupe that beat your mom's LTD

There was a thread on this site that had 3D renderings of 17" (?) 10 holes. Most people agreed that as the holes got larger and more elongated they lost that unique 10 hole look. That's not to say they looked ugly, just different enough where they didn't look stock any more..............so there was no point in enlarging them.

There was a guy at a local show this summer that had trx converted to 15in in the front and 16in in the rear.. looked pretty good... never thought about 10 holes going bigger... hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Mohacsy View Post
    There was a thread on this site that had 3D renderings of 17" (?) 10 holes. Most people agreed that as the holes got larger and more elongated they lost that unique 10 hole look. That's not to say they looked ugly, just different enough where they didn't look stock any more..............so there was no point in enlarging them.
    Not that I am a fan of ten holes, but what if extra holes were added? It might look better than stretching holes(Keep you mind out of the gutter people ).

It's not like many people are going to count how many holes the rims have. It might keep the proportions more pleasing to the eye.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Sure you can do it. Its just got to fit in with the proportions, you have to think about how your going to spend your dollars to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    a solution with stock lookes and 100% brake coverage no matter what is this. I think its been posted before, but if its not too crass, Alan Mackin's concept of TRX wheels as a venear can do it.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/259923...d-thunderbird/

He used 1309's, the Brave New T-Bird/ Cougar TRX cover over laid on a set of 16 x 8 front and 17 x 8 rear wheels.

He got away with early pre 2006 size rears of 325-45-17 M&H drag radials on his S shell. Fronts were 245-50-16

He use 3 inch long wheel studs and a second set of lug nuts. The set up works well.

And that means you could even put 365mm x 135mm, 4 Lug, 4.25" Bolt Pattern, 41.4mm Offset Ford EXP/Mexican Mustang/Mercury LN7 1238 wheels on it, a sixth option for factory Ford:-)

But then, its a 928 Porsche knock off missing an extra hole...