Close

Default Back to working on the RS Capri again!

I took about 3 years off from doing anything to my Capri. It spent almost a year parked and only started every few weeks over the last year. I spent the last 2 years completely restoring a Sea Ray boat which is now almost complete. So I am now going to start working on the RS again. I have several things I am going to be doing but figured I would start with the motor problems I wanted to work out first starting with cooling.

I just bought a new Mishimoto all aluminum 3 core radiator to replace the piece of crap Cobra radiator in my car. The Mishimoto had a lot of really good reviews and the radiator was a match fit for the fox body, so I bought it. I polished the entire radiator first so it would look good under the hood. I am going to install it in the next week or so.

Anyone have any bad experience with this brand?

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

Congrats on wrapping up your Sea Ray Restoration and getting back on the RS!

I have no personal issues with the Mishimoto, but I haven't really heard of any issues either, so I believe you made a great purchase.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Member

Don't forget pics. LOL

I purchased one locally new in box from a guy. It was a warranty replacement for one he had in his car that started to leak. He ended up replacing the original with another brand and didn't use the Mishimoto and he threw in the leaky one for free. I don't know if I can get the leak fixed but if not, it's recyclable.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Here's a pic of the new radiator.

The radiator fit very well and I polished the tanks on it before I installed it. It seems to run much cooler then my old cobra radiator. I am a little disappointed that I still have a problem with water/coolant consumption though. I top it off every time I drive it and it always seems to be around a quart low. I am not sure what the problem is but I have no water dripping and there is no engine oil problems or bubbling in the radiator that I can see.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Robert
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    Here's a pic of the new radiator.

The radiator fit very well and I polished the tanks on it before I installed it. It seems to run much cooler then my old cobra radiator. I am a little disappointed that I still have a problem with water/coolant consumption though. I top it off every time I drive it and it always seems to be around a quart low. I am not sure what the problem is but I have no water dripping and there is no engine oil problems or bubbling in the radiator that I can see.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Robert
    Mabe air still in the system, try park your car up with the front nose up high then the rear. and let it run like that for 20-30 min and top off some coolant.

What brand is that radiator ? its look much bigger then factory one.
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

FEP Member

If it's not on the outside it's got to be going on the inside. Have you seen one of these kits?
    http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com...or-P20940.aspx
    I've used it in the past and it works well. Does it skip on first start up after it's been sitting?

Quote Originally Posted by FUKAZ28 View Post
    If it's not on the outside it's got to be going on the inside. Have you seen one of these kits?
    http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com...or-P20940.aspx
    I've used it in the past and it works well. Does it skip on first start up after it's been sitting?
    What do you mean "does it skip"?

Robert

My RS in Action

That kit is design for finding head gasket issue, sound like he doesnt have head gasket issue ( finger cross ), how many time did you have to fill the radiator ? when did you install this radiator, does it happen before you replace the radiator ?

check that hose that connect from the radiator nipple to the reservoir , see if it loose, should put a clamp on it anyway.

run your car hot, when park, wait about 1 hours, take the radiator cap off, and leave it over night, most air pocket will come out over night, and fill up in the morning, next time see if it still loose coolant .

if need, go to autozone, and borrow the coolant pressure test, put 14psi or what ever the radiator cap PSI is, see any coolant leak.

I think he mean skip, is like miss fire, surging.... you feel engine not run smooth....

put hose clamp on this arrow. Mine is leaking from this spot and loose coolant before. Put a clamp on it and its stop.
    Name:  clamp.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  60.2 KB
    Last edited by Sinister; 01-18-2015 at 08:52 PM.
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

FEP Member

Runs rough on initial startup.

The engine always runs a little rough on start up but I have a really bumpy cam in it so that is normal. Both my Cobra radiator and my new radiator seemed to lose coolant after driving. The new radiator is a 3 row just like the cobra was. The stock for this car was only a 2 row. I have run the car up until the thermostat starts to open and topped it off with coolant. I would drive the car for a while and let it cool down and check it and sure enough it is down another quart or so. Have done this several times on the new radiator and many-many times on the old cobra radiator. I figured it was a pin hole or 2 in the cobra radiator but now I have the new one in I know that was not the case. I guess I need to pressure test the system and if there is a leak, which I am pretty sure there is. I will then replace the hoses one at a time and if that doesn't do it, I will have to check for a head gasket leak. If there is no head gasket leak I will need to check the thermostat housing and the water pump gasket seal.

Thanx for all the suggestion guys, any more would be great.

Robert

My RS in Action