Close

Thumbs down Stanley BC209 Battery Charger Maintainer - Junk

Avoid these units if you are looking for a battery charger/maintainer.

The parent company is Baccus Global and here are the brands they sell.

Brand - We have chosen CAT® , Stanley® and Black+Decker®, three of the oldest and strongest brands in America, for the brands on our products. We work closely with Stanley Black & Decker Inc, and Caterpillar Inc. to ensure our products meet with their high level of quality consistent with the brand and what it represents.

Name:  BC209.jpg
Views: 3086
Size:  9.5 KB

Yea, I was too. Thought Stanley was quality. Not in this case.

I still use this , and it work perfectly fine. Its been 10-08-2014.
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

I bought one when Lowes was closing them out for $10. It lasted 1 month. It is junk.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

that where I bought too, how you guy know it stop working ? You guys leave it on all time ?

when my car park for 3-4 week, I plug mine in and the light blink for about 1 hours, then it solid ( trickle mode ), I unplug it, I repeat this step every 3 week.

Consider yourself lucky, you got a good one. That's the way they are suppose to work.

2 out of 7 I bought work that way the rest are junk. Most never go into charge mode, they just keep clicking on-off-on. Some charge and when they reach a maintain mode, they toggle off/on too. Interesting noise in the garage when several are plugged in.

Just crap.... probably a bad run of logic chips inside causing the problems.

FEP Power Member

Thanks for that feedback. I'm looking for a small one. Lugging my big charger around is not always convenient. The ones from Sears only last a year or two before they burn out. Thinking of Battery Tender, but they are a little pricy.

I have a Schumacher 1.5a unit that seems to work fine and can be bought on Amazon for $19. I thought I found a bargain on these Stanley chargers when they were on clearance at Lowe's for $10.97 only to find out they are junk. Just glad I didn't pay full price for one!! Lowe's gladly took them back but still aggravating to have to return them.

Quote Originally Posted by 84GT350CONV View Post
    Thanks for that feedback. I'm looking for a small one. Lugging my big charger around is not always convenient. The ones from Sears only last a year or two before they burn out. Thinking of Battery Tender, but they are a little pricy.
    Check out these prices at Walmart. The Battery Tender Jr is only $26.
    http://www.walmart.com/search/search...967928&veh=sem
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac."
    George Carlin, Rest in peace

Rick
    84 GT Convertible
    68 Cougar XR7
    14 Ford Explorer Limited

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by smitty54 View Post
    Check out these prices at Walmart. The Battery Tender Jr is only $26.
    http://www.walmart.com/search/search...967928&veh=sem
    Thanks for the heads up on that.
    I'm not usually a Walmart shopper out of principle due to well known reasons.
    That is a good deal though.

I love walmart, I can go their at 12 am and buy oil for my car

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    I love walmart, I can go their at 12 am and buy oil for my car
    Sometimes you have no choice. I got pulled over by a cop at 2 am for having a burned out head light. I let him know I was on my way to the Walmart about 1 mile away to put a new bulb in as that was the only store open at the time. He followed me there and when he saw I was on my way into the store he continued on. Got a new bulb and put one on there right in the parking lot and I was good to go. Got pulled over again at the next highway exit and checked out again. Guess they were trying hard to get DWI prosecutions at that time of night.

Sometimes you have no choice. I got pulled over by a cop at 2 am for having a burned out head light. I let him know I was on my way to the Walmart about 1 mile away to put a new bulb in as that was the only store open at the time. He followed me there and when he saw I was on my way into the store he continued on. Got a new bulb and put one on there right in the parking lot and I was good to go. Got pulled over again at the next highway exit and checked out again. Guess they were trying hard to get DWI prosecutions at that time of night.
    lol nice one, I also got pull over at late night, on my 98 mustang gt, the cop say the tint was too dark, he call his friend to come check out my tint, and it was 14-15%, the tint is 20%, it get dark at night, anyway he ask where I go this late, I told him I was in hurry to walmart buying diaper for my new born, he follow me to walmart parking lot and he move on. Went inside and bought a bag of 0-1 diaper and went back out our $600 apartment, man that was tough time for us. I just turn18 and my wife was 16...

I miss that mustang though, still looking for it, but no luck.

Thanks for the heads up on that.
    I'm not usually a Walmart shopper out of principle due to well known reasons.
    That is a good deal though.
    same here.
    Nick. 86 vert GT,p-heads trick flow springs,explorer intake,off road H,super 44's,still speed density

Wal Mart sucks.
    Also, I would not trust a Deltran Battery Tender plugged into any modern car with a computer and electronics. Had a storm go by near our house one day while I was at work. When I got home, the Tender was dead along with the computer in my 94 Mustang. The correct size and original fuse was unblown in the Tender. Deltran would not respond to any of my calls or emails regarding the issue. I would rather just replace the battery every 3-4 years. Far cheaper in the long run than replacement ECU's/
    Liberty once lost is lost forever.

John Adams
    July 7, 1775

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Wal Mart sucks.
    Also, I would not trust a Deltran Battery Tender plugged into any modern car with a computer and electronics. Had a storm go by near our house one day while I was at work. When I got home, the Tender was dead along with the computer in my 94 Mustang. The correct size and original fuse was unblown in the Tender. Deltran would not respond to any of my calls or emails regarding the issue. I would rather just replace the battery every 3-4 years. Far cheaper in the long run than replacement ECU's/
    Sounds like you got a power surge that took out your charger and your cars computer. May have not been the chargers fault. Sometimes homeowners insurance can cover things like that especially if your vehicle is covered by the same company. Then again there is always the "act of god" clause that insurance companies use.

And I'd like to add here the float chargers from Harbor Freight is absolute trash. First, the instructions say the battery must already be fully charged. That should have tipped me off that it is a weak charger. I had a battery hooked up to it and it drained it flat. The battery was at 12.9V but even a 13V charge isn't enough for it to maintain. That was $5 down the drain. I have better luck with the battery tender Jr's but I noticed it is always charging when I hook it up to my parent's 2002 Lexus. I think the power drain is a bit too much for it.
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

I have a couple of the black and decker versions of the maintainer. They work great. Also have a bettery tender brand. Sell both where I work. Can't beat the black and decker one for the price. Sold a lot of them over the years with good results.
    Current: 81 Cobra T Top, 79 Cobra.
    Past Toys: 1964 Falcon Vert, 1966 Mustang(owned twice), 70 Conv, 1978 Mustang II(first car), 80 Cobra, 81 Cobra, 82 GT T-Top, 85 GT 3,900 miles, 85 Predator/Twister 5S-0149, 86 Saleen 177, 86 SVO, 86 Mustang GT, 86 Mustang GT Vert, 87 Mustang GT, 89 Mustang Notch, 2003 Mustang GT Roush Clone, 2006 Mustang V6(Stainless Works LT's, MBRP cat back, 3.73's, tb, cai), and my favorite 2002 Mustang GT MPH 302 stroker, KB 2.2, TKO 500 640rwhp/591torque.

Quote Originally Posted by homer302 View Post
    Wal Mart sucks.
    Interesting, never gave that a thought. I lost two Deka tenders during a thunderstorm, hence the reason for buying the Stanley units. Since all but one of my cars has battery disconnects, there shouldn't be any issue after the battery. Something to think about on later model cars with electronics.

Quote Originally Posted by Predator5S-0149 View Post
    I have a couple of the black and decker versions of the maintainer. They work great. Also have a bettery tender brand. Sell both where I work. Can't beat the black and decker one for the price. Sold a lot of them over the years with good results.
    Sometimes I just think it's hit-or-miss regardless of the brand.

Quote Originally Posted by rodster View Post

Sometimes I just think it's hit-or-miss regardless of the brand.
    this, I had mine hook up on 89 camaro Iroc Z everlast battery out side and just leave it under the hood, closed the hood, connect with an extension core to a outside power outlet, and just leave it there for a week, it been rains, 30 degee weather out side every night, yesterday I came out and check, it stay solid and my camaro crank up first try.

If it on sale again ( $7 ) I buy one more and nail it to the wall for pernament charger when I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    this, I had mine hook up on 89 camaro Iroc Z everlast battery out side and just leave it under the hood, closed the hood, connect with an extension core to a outside power outlet, and just leave it there for a week, it been rains, 30 degee weather out side every night, yesterday I came out and check, it stay solid and my camaro crank up first try.

If it on sale again ( $7 ) I buy one more and nail it to the wall for pernament charger when I need.
    Are you talking about the Stanley unit? If so I had 4 I would have sold you. Of course you are charging a Camaro battery so a defective charger would work on that!

I have 2 Stanley charger/maintainers that are working fine so it's definitely hit-or-miss with these. Save your receipt!

Quote Originally Posted by rodster View Post
    Are you talking about the Stanley unit? If so I had 4 I would have sold you. Of course you are charging a Camaro battery so a defective charger would work on that!

I have 2 Stanley charger/maintainers that are working fine so it's definitely hit-or-miss with these. Save your receipt!
    yes its first stanley I bought, since I read this couple week ago, and its cheap, so I been abused this stanley and hope it fail , but it wont, if it fail then I spend $50 on Battery Tender Plus. Yes I still abused this, hook it up and just leave it on for a week on my mustang battery ( I take off the battery off the car and hook it up to stanley ).

one note, you get what you pay for, if you dont want trouble then spend more money on quality one, around $50+. these cheap 7-12 dollar unit is cheap and expect it to fail.

The Stanley wasn't a cheap unit originally, just a clearance item. I'm glad I didn't pay full retail! Also bought some good stuff that failed too so not always do you get what you pay for. I agree, some of the cheap HF, etc stuff is expected to fail... but not brand name stuff like Stanley.