Close

Default Cooling issues and Strange Sound from Passenger Head

Hey All

New to forum but not new to Mustangs. Just picked up my first carb mustang though 83 GT vert. i am trying to diagnose what is wrong with the car before i just go ahead and tear into it. Car is currently having cooling gauge issues, goes from 190-230 and back, im thinking air. so i put the temp gun on it and verified car is much cooler than aftermarket sunpro gauge is telling me. Touch rad cap and it is warm not hot. Touch side of rad and it is hot ( 125 to be exact ) . Intake temp on drivers side is 175-180 but here is the weird part ........ intake temp on pass side is 208-215 There is also a weird tug boat type sound coming from pass side head. There is NO SMOKE at all coming out of tailpipe. Car is running very rich also.

Any input is appreciated

Thanks in advance

Welcome to FEP Have you burped the radiator?

First off, welcome. You may want to post up some pictures in the newbie introduction forum...it is at the top of the General BS forum.

Second, do you know for sure this is an 83 GT vert? There were about a thousand produced late in 1983. Is it a 4 or 5 speed car?

Lastly, has the engine recently had any work done on it? A better description of the power plant would be helpful...ie, all stock or some modifications done...
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

Is there water in the hose coming from the passenger side intake and the rad when it's 200 deg? Sounds like a bad thermostat or one that was installed backwards.
    1985 Mustang GT 5speed LRB with Ford Racing M-6007-X302, Performer RPM, Holley 670 Avenger carb, BBK headers with H-pipe, B&M short throw
    1986 Mustang GT (parts car)
    1986 LX Coupe 4cyl, 4speed, LRB

FEP Member

Head gasket on backwards?

Quote Originally Posted by FUKAZ28 View Post
    Head gasket on backwards?
    That's what I was thinking

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Head gasket should have a visible tab in front to see if it's on wrong
    Or at least a fel pro name has such tab check head bolts and verify they are tight if one is missing or loose also check header bolts and intake bolts

Well it is a 5 SPD GT Vert from what i can see. I have not verified the Vin. Engine appears to be all stock.

Just replaced Thermostat with a 160, with the copper end that says 160 facing the engine. I attempted to burp the rad by letting it run for a while yesterday and waiting to see the water circulating for a while. Did same thing today, Gasket backwards is a Very good question. Also check for missing Head Bolt perhaps a possibility, i can confirm all header bolts are on snug , i checked that already. will check your suggestions in the AM. Thank You VERY MUCHO !!!!
    Last edited by 83GT-MIA; 12-04-2014 at 07:09 PM.

Well i checked the Head Bolts and they are all there and are snug. I also checked the rockers are they are all torqued down so.........

The cylinder head has holes in the sides back with pipe plugs and eGR provisions and the front also has acesorie holes check with soapy water if anything is loose and pushing air or even a freeze plug could be on its way out or pin hole
    Tig boat sound is air pushing with water mix and could be a cracked head and a pressure test may be better way to diagnose without engine running
    It may be a head gasket upside down on pass side easy to make mistake I guess

You would have coolant holes blocked in the back if so
    Start car to. Normal temp and take heat reading on the fronat of head to the back of the head it should be within a reasonable comparison to the other side.
    Also lok for the head gasket tab sticking out showing its on correctly near the water pump

FEP Power Member

The upper radiator hose sits higher than the radiator and the thermostat. It's possible that an air lock is there. Undo the at the radiator hose when cold. Hold it up higher than the radiator and thermostat. Fill up the hose with coolant. Pinch the end of the hose, then lower it and quickly put the hose back on the radiator. I'd try this before digging deeper. Happened to me after I replaced the radiator and hoses on my car. When I pulled the top hose off (it was still a little warm) I got a big rush of air escaping.
    I hope this helps. If it does you have an easy fix.

Hmm gonna try those suggestions, thanks!!!!!

BTW Checked VIN and yup is a 83 Vert 5.0 as per VIN check

http://www.mustanggt.org/vin.htm

1FABP27F7DFXXXXXX

9D = original color white

Quote Originally Posted by 83GT-MIA View Post
    Hmm gonna try those suggestions, thanks!!!!!

BTW Checked VIN and yup is a 83 Vert 5.0 as per VIN check

http://www.mustanggt.org/vin.htm

1FABP27F7DFXXXXXX

9D = original color white
    ...nice...pictures...
    HAD

HAVE
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

She is pretty rough looking right now. Just order new top with glass, want to get it running right then gonna do interior and then paint. Name:  83gtvert brining home.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  120.0 KB

Only pic i got so far is when i was bringing her home.

She is pretty rough looking right now. Just order new top with glass, want to get it running right then gonna do interior and then paint. Name:  83gtvert brining home.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  120.0 KB

Only pic i got so far is when i was bringing her home.
    That is saweet! Sounds like you gonna be doin what I did 4 years ago with mine. What color interior? This looks like it is at a pit stop on a turn pike somewhere...where did you get the car and where are you located?
    Last edited by bwguardian; 12-06-2014 at 06:07 PM.
    HAD

HAVE

Thanks , i hope to get her squared away. She has the red interior. and Yup Fl turnpike rest stop. i am in Miami and i found her in Lakeland. nice little 4 1/2 hour drive lol.

Thanks , i hope to get her squared away. She has the red interior. and Yup Fl turnpike rest stop. i am in Miami and i found her in Lakeland. nice little 4 1/2 hour drive lol.
    Good thing you found it cause I need another car like I need a hole in the head...I actually looked in that area recently on craigslist. I am flying out early in the morning from Houston, Texas to Melbourne, Florida to pick up a 2008 Ford Taurus Limited we bought for our daughter. I will be driving it straight back through to H-town arriving back in less than 24 hours! I thought I recognized that pit stop from the time I bought a boat and some boat parts down there in Fort Pierce and also Hollywood Florida. Looks like you found a really nice piece being all original, I hope you are going to try and keep it that way as much as possible given there weren't too many made in the first place.
    HAD

HAVE

LOL, i know what you mean about the cars. i got to a point where i had 5 at one time as you can imagine the wife was like WTF , lol
    Now i am back to 1 , and this time its gonna be pretty much stock. Gonna leave original everything, paint interior, colors everything. May have a little cam, intake, etc... but no cage, 88mm turbo kit , built Turbo 400 tranny etc...

keeping it Very mild. really just want to spend some time with my boys on it. Teach them how to drive stick, etc...
    Last edited by 83GT-MIA; 12-06-2014 at 07:09 PM.

LOL, i know what you mean about the cars. i got to a point where i had 5 at one time as you can imagine the wife was like WTF , lol
    Now i am back to 1 , and this time its gonna be pretty much stock. Gonna leave original everything, paint interior, colors everything. May have a little cam, intake, etc... but no cage, 88mm turbo kit , built Turbo 400 tranny etc...

keeping it Very mild. really just want to spend some time with my boys on it. Teach them how to drive stick, etc...
    Been there, done that too. That is why I decided to do this car like you talk about...little cam, decent heads, good intake, etc. I took the car totally apart, went through it, and would not hesitate to drive it to Florida and back.
    HAD

HAVE

FEP Power Member

You have kids that actually want to learn how to drive? Wow, I didn't think that was possible anymore. Just kidding. Glad you are the type of parent that wants to do these types of things with your boys.
    A stick shift can be a good safeguard against car jackings because most people can't drive a stick shift anymore.

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by 84GT350CONV View Post
    You have kids that actually want to learn how to drive? Wow, I didn't think that was possible anymore. Just kidding. Glad you are the type of parent that wants to do these types of things with your boys.
    A stick shift can be a good safeguard against car jackings because most people can't drive a stick shift anymore.
    LOL, Most kids now a days don't want to do anything.
    All most of them need is a little attention and love.

Nice find

Thank You to all. Wont be able to work on it this week out of town on work. Soon as i get back i am just gonna pull off the intake and see what i find.
    After that i will go from there.

Cheers