Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adding A/C Back

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    I'm all for colder air coming out the vents.
    That's important in Minnesota!?

Almost everything at the Zone is remanufactured in China. Most of their new parts come from there too. They are the WalMart of Auto parts. Sounds like that kit may actually be a better value.

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    That's important in Minnesota!?
    We have the widest range of temperature here in the Midwest. So, that means yes, cold winters, but also HOT summers! There were a lot of days last summer where I considered taking it out, but thought "nah, it's too hot". I would actually love it if our summers were less hot. The wife and I are probably moving north when we retire.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Here's the answer I got.

Hello

Unfortunately I am not sure why it would be cheaper on other sites. Depending on the brand of parts and if the are new or reconditioned could affect the pricing on the parts. The parts included in the kit are new parts and are not reconditioned. The compressor and condenser and higher efficiency units and are designed to work together. The compressor does have the brackets require to mount it to the car also. This kit does also have a one year warranty on it.

Thanks
    Mike

I suppose it's a combination of things. Convenience, warranty, new parts, a different and maybe not as commonly made compressor and condenser. It looks like the lines use threaded fittings too instead of spring clip ones. I'm guessing Hose Wizards is an American company, although LMR usually makes a big deal about it when parts are made in the USA. I have to imagine the Auto Zone stuff is Chinese made. I don't know... they might just be winning me over. The description also says when you put R134 in an R12 system, it isn't as efficient, and this kit's compressor and condenser compensate for that. I'm all for colder air coming out the vents.
    When the switch was from R12 to R134 the auto manufacturers did put in larger evaporator and condenser cores to compensate for the less efficient R134. I still have the original condenser and evaporator in my car. It works, but not quite as good. Keeps me from breaking out in a sweat.
    Heard that the EPA is planning to phase out R134 also.

I was thinking about looking at a stock '94-95 Mustang or Explorer system, but they both relocate the compressor below the power steering pump, so the lines would be way different. The evaporator may be in a way different spot too, especially on the Explorer. The stock compressor for an SN95 looks like it mounts completely differently too, so I couldn't use one with my existing brackets.

A big disadvantage to the Hose Wizards system is that if anything were to fail, I would be stuck replacing it with a Hose Wizards part. Hardly follows my "Ease of serviceability" goal that I have for the car. But maybe it's just good enough that it won't fail. It'd better be for that price, haha.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

And every place I've gone, I've seen 3 lines: Compressor to evaporator w/accumulator (Low), evaporator to condenser (Liquid) and compressor to condenser (High).
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12