Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My 1985 Capri history & current build

Sorry for the long intro, but need to document the 20 years that got me to today..........

So, I purchased my 1985 Capri 5.0/5 spd back in February 1996. From all the records that came with the car, it was originally purchased and lived around the Austin Texas area. It was sold to the individual I bought it from around mid-June 1989 with approximately 68,000 miles on it.

Pre-purchase summary:
    Around September 1994, the 2nd owner had it sent down to "Project Industries", 286 Gasoline Alley, Indiapolis, IN for modifications. It appears that "Project Industries" was Kenny Brown's shop. At this point he had the "AGS System 3.1" installed. This consisted of the "TracKit Plus II" (panhard bar), Chassis Stiffening Kit (sub-frame connectors, strut tower brace, lower chassis brace), Koni shocks & struts, front specific rate springs and low deflecting urethane bushings.

Purchase and Phase 1
    When I purchased the in February 1996 in Kalamazoo, MI with approximately 85,000 miles on it. I drove it another 10,000 miles and did minor/required maintenance on it until the winter of 1999 when I started continuing modifications. At that point I did a true dual exhaust conversion, installed full length Hooker Super Comp headers, 8.8 rear with 3.73 gears. Rebuilt and upgraded the transmission to WC standards with the 2.95 (?) 1st gear. Installed MSD ingnition system..... I drove the car for a few more summers and then "life" kicked in. Got married and had kids..... bought a house.... and began plans for building my "garage-mahal" to have a great place to work on the cars. The rear main was leaking and other "stuff" got me and a few friends (and great neighbor that let me use his shop/garage) so we pulled the motor with intention of fixing a few things. That was back in 2001 and now we are at the end of 2014.

Phase 2 plans
    I loved the way that the car handled with all the KB modifications. The engine was a bit soft with the miles it had (and may have been a but hurt from looking through all the repair receipts that came with the car). Back in 2000, SBF stroker motor parts were becoming more affordable. I started the plan to build an aluminum headed 347 stroker. I got a deal on some GT40X heads, FMS 1.7 rockers. Picked up a copy of "Desktop Dyno" and started to dream and collect more parts. I also started to see the advancements in Fox chassis suspension becoming more accessible. I focused in on Maximum Motorsports stuff and set my goals of a front suspension upgrade as well as rear modifications. Again, started to collect parts.

Jump forward to fall/winter 2013. Got the "garage-mahal" built but inside not completely finished (40x60 split into 2 sections, 14' ceilings, radiant heat, bathroom w/shower....). Hooked up with a great friend that is crazy about drag racing his Mustang (current NMRA/NMCA True Street record holder.....). He needed to set up a shop for doing some fabrication and felt my building would be great (power, heat, bathroom, beer fridge...). We took a weekend and had a "Hoarders-Barn Intervention" and cleared out the 10 years of collecting "stuff", dry-walled the front work-shop (back already done....) and pulled the Capri out to start on.

Name:  Capri 1.jpg
Views: 661
Size:  246.1 KBName:  Capri 2.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  258.4 KB

I gathered all the parts I had for the engine and sent them off to Baker Engineering (west of Grand Rapids MI) for an engine build (Dec '13 - Feb '14). VERY happy with results: 415 hp @ 5900 rpm, 408 lb ft torque @ 4800 rpm (360 @ 2600 - 370 @ 5900)

Engine Specs:
    - Dart 4 bolt main block
    - FMS upgrade roller lifters
    - Cast steel crank (347)
    - H beam rods
    - Mahle forged pistons
    - Romac balancer
    - FMS GT40X heads
    - Custom cam
    - Edelbrock Air Gap manifold
    - Barry Grant Demon carb
    - Fidanza aluminum flywheel
    - Moroso high capacity/baffled oil pan
    - March under drive pulleys

I am now in the process of dis-assembling the car to install:
    - Max Motorsports front suspension (K-Member, offset control arms)
    - new Koni SA sport struts w/Max Motorsports coil-over kit
    - new Koni SA sport shocks w/Max Motorsports coil-over kit
    - Max Motorsports manual brake conversion
    - Flaming River manual steering rack
    - Roush/Alcon 14" front disc brakes
    - Wilwood 12" rear disc brakes

I am hoping to document this process and will start posting pictures soon.

Appreciate any comments/feedback
    Last edited by Cougarmanjr; 11-28-2014 at 01:16 PM.
    1985 Capri
    347 (Baker Engineering built, Dart block, GT40x, RPM air-gap, Mahle pistons, custom cam...)
    5 speed RS
    Ext - Red/Grey
    Int - Tan

Very cool. Glad you see you kept it as 'life' took over.

As much as we like car pictures, I'm sure some more of that shop would be interesting to see. The door between the parts threw me at first, but I think I understand how you have it setup.

Is that an ASC rear-wing I see in the first picture?
    I'm an FEP Paid Supporter and proud of it. Are you?

1984 Capri Turbo RS - Alive after 7 years! Build Thread
    2018 Mustang GT - daily driver

I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad that I'm not alone in having had a project sit neglected for a very long time. Glad you too are getting back at yours as am I mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ccurtin View Post
    Very cool. Glad you see you kept it as 'life' took over.

As much as we like car pictures, I'm sure some more of that shop would be interesting to see. The door between the parts threw me at first, but I think I understand how you have it setup.

Is that an ASC rear-wing I see in the first picture?
    I can take pics of the shop if interested, yet another long-term project. I have it split into 2 - 40x30 sections, with separate heat settings for each side (2 zones for the radiant heat). Bathroom is up front with a 30x6 loft above it. The door between is a home-build slider. Picked up a window at the local Habitat for Humanity store and built it in. I had some extra stain left over so I figured I would stain the door...... Original intention was the side in the pics was going to be storage and the front section was going to be the shop. After throwing my wifes 40th b-day party, decided the rear will be the shop and the front section will be the "man-cave" with completed cars and motorcycle storage. That way I can pull out the done stuff and have a party OR just hang out and talk shop/enjoy barley-pops.

yes - that is an ASC rear wing - on the list of items collected over the years that I need to install soon, along with the SVO spats I was able to get from a fellow FEP member :-)
    1985 Capri
    347 (Baker Engineering built, Dart block, GT40x, RPM air-gap, Mahle pistons, custom cam...)
    5 speed RS
    Ext - Red/Grey
    Int - Tan

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad that I'm not alone in having had a project sit neglected for a very long time. Glad you too are getting back at yours as am I mine.
    I probably shouldnt admit it, but the Capri was the quickest one of my neglected projects to get back on the road. In the back of the picture from the front of the car, there is the roof of a 70 Cougar poking out - dis-assembled that one around the same time as the Capri with hopes to get re-done...... That may be next. Also another project car in the front garage that has not been touched in 13 years.
    1985 Capri
    5 speed RS
    Ext - Red/Grey
    Int - Tan

Got the front end apart and ready to be degreased and painted. Pulling the bumper was fun, but nothing a good dead-blow couldnt help with. Sacraficed a turn signal in the process but thanks to Tony here on FEP, got a replacement on the way.
    Name:  Front end stripped.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  229.7 KB
    Have some work to do on the passenger side inner fender to straighten out some prior damage. Going to clean up and prime, then test fit the engine and radiator & other underhood parts before final paint. My 10 year old son really wants to help, so going to have him start stepping in to clean/paint the engine bay with me for a start.
    Name:  Pass side inner fender start.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  218.3 KB
    1985 Capri
    5 speed RS
    Ext - Red/Grey
    Int - Tan

Finally got the dash and steering column pulled last night. Write-ups here helped to know just what bolts/screws to pull. Wish I would have read more on disconnecting the harness connectors. Some of them were not fun with the dash laying on the steering column.....

Name:  Dash shell in.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  166.6 KB

Name:  Dash shell out.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  211.4 KB

Next goal is the heater box...... then the brake pedal/system.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1985 Capri
    5 speed RS
    Ext - Red/Grey
    Int - Tan

FEP Member

Looks good man.

FEP Power Member

Wow.........cool project & garage! Where in MI are you located?

Sure you don't want to sell that ASC rear Wing? My Capri is looking for one .

Zen
    '86 GT - weekend driver
    '86 Capri 5.0
    '86 Turbo Coupe
    '17 Mustang GT
    '23 BRONCO

Zen

Thanks. I'm in Battle Creek. Went to Muskegon when the Powertour stopped there a few years ago and had a blast. Looking to go back for the motorcycle rally next summer, heard that is great.

As to the ASC rear wing, sought after that for years and it is destined for my car. Not to sure about modifying my original hatch to accept it so looking to see if I can find a hatch somewhere here in MI to use for the install.

Steve
    1985 Capri
    5 speed RS
    Ext - Red/Grey
    Int - Tan

Finally got back into the garage to work on the Capri now that the holidays are behind us. Started mocking up the front suspension finally. Got the k member set in, control arms, spindles, struts and one brake set in. Also mounted the sway bar relo brackets and the sway bar. Have a lot of cleaning to do after we get everything fitted and pulled back off. Hoping to get the engine and trans fitted in the next few weeks or so. Going to be interesting to see how the long-tube headers will fit up.

Name:  K Member 1.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  204.4 KB

Name:  Dr side CC plate.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  208.3 KB

Name:  Dr side strut.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  187.3 KB

Name:  pass side fr brake.JPG
Views: 545
Size:  193.9 KB

Finally ordered the springs for the front coil-overs and the bump steer kit. Also had a few misc fasteners to order to get so I can mount the steering rack. Also need to pull the master cylinder and start fitting the new brake system.

Once all this is in and fitted, going to pull back out and paint the engine bay.

Steve O.
    Battle Creek, MI
    1985 Capri
    5 speed RS
    Ext - Red/Grey
    Int - Tan

Brakes are bigger than a large pizza.
    1993 triple white GT
    2004 AZ Mach 1
    2003 zinc yellow Cobra
    1983 410 Windsor tko 500

You could always move that garage up here to Hastings my Capri would love a home like that

Your build is gonna be awesome , I bet you're chomping at the bit with all those new, excellent quality parts. I have a question for you, since we both have our dashes removed. I did mine to swap in a new dash harness (my original was pretty hacked up), and now I'm putting everything back together. In the picture you have posted above where your dash is still installed , but the gauge cluster is removed...what are those two lights for that are hanging out of the cluster area? I assume one is for the factory shift light (I might be wrong though), but what did the other go to? I have both of those and I don't know what to do with them.

Thanks and have fun. I can't wait to see this one done!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Quote Originally Posted by TopGear85 View Post
    ...what are those two lights for that are hanging out of the cluster area? I assume one is for the factory shift light (I might be wrong though), but what did the other go to? I have both of those and I don't know what to do with them.

Mike,

I take a look at those lights when I get back out to the barn later today and let you know what/where they went.

Steve
    1985 Capri
    5 speed RS
    Ext - Red/Grey
    Int - Tan

...what are those two lights for that are hanging out of the cluster area? I assume one is for the factory shift light (I might be wrong though), but what did the other go to? I have both of those and I don't know what to do with them.

Mike,

I take a look at those lights when I get back out to the barn later today and let you know what/where they went.

Steve
    1985 Capri
    5 speed RS
    Ext - Red/Grey
    Int - Tan

Quote Originally Posted by 2camsam View Post
    Brakes are bigger than a large pizza.
    Thats funny!!!!!!!!

Based on that, the original brakes must be a personal pizza. Took a comparison picture to really show how much bigger the new brakes are...... amazing when you see them side-by-side.
    Name:  Fr brake comparison.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  203.1 KB
    1985 Capri
    5 speed RS
    Ext - Red/Grey
    Int - Tan

...........In the picture you have posted above where your dash is still installed , but the gauge cluster is removed...what are those two lights for that are hanging out of the cluster area? I assume one is for the factory shift light (I might be wrong though), but what did the other go to? I have both of those and I don't know what to do with them.

Mike,

Been a while since I have been able to get out to the barn for more than parking my car. The lights are for the shift light and the check oil light (bottom one).
    Name:  Dash - Lft lights1.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  186.9 KB

Name:  Dash - Lft lights2.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  279.6 KB

Hope these are not too late for you.......

Steve
    1985 Capri
    5 speed RS
    Ext - Red/Grey
    Int - Tan

So, my Capri project has sat neglected for some time due to life, family events, etc....... Thankfully I have a great friend Cal that has his car in the chassis shop. So..... he told me he was taking my car on 5-June so it better be ready and able to roll. He has a shop with multiple lifts so we are getting it on a 2-post so we are not laying on our backs working on it. Talk about motivation! Plans are to get the exhaust finished up, new fuel tank installed, measure for fuel lines and install new brake lines. Also going to cut out the Kenny Brown sub-frame connectors and install the MM set. Will then set up the torque arm......

Started by finishing up the install of the K-Member - now squared up as directed....... I did find that the k-member is shifted over to the pass side about 1/4 inch or less by looking at how much of the top mount plate sticks out on the drivers side.

Name:  Capri kmember square.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  56.4 KB

Installed the front suspension and wanted to see how things would fit since I opted for the forward -offset control arms...... as usual, this project keeps presenting opportunities to solve....

Name:  Capri fr wheel fwd.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  56.4 KB

Finally got the engine and trans set in the car and ready to roll onto the trailer to move to Cals shop.....

Name:  Capri move day.jpg
Size:  102.4 KB

Going to be much easier to work on now....

Name:  IMG_5638.jpg
Size:  192.9 KB

I will be dropping out the rear end so we can inspect and weld up the torque boxes. Also going to send the rear end out to be rebuilt with all new parts and have 9" ends installed for the disk brakes. Thankfully I have the original rear axle housing that we can use if we need to move the car before the new housing is back.

One big opportunity I am running into is with the headers. I have Bassani long-tube headers. I was hoping to be able to use my drop motor mounts and use the set-back position on the motor, but looks like that is not going to work. Even with lifting the engine up they stick down about the height of 1 header tube below the k-member. So now have to decide to live with the clearance issue or swap over to shorty headers.......

Hopefully move updates to come over the next month or so......
    1985 Capri
    5 speed RS
    Ext - Red/Grey
    Int - Tan

FEP Member

A lift makes things so much easier for sure.
    Why did you opted for the forward -offset control arms?

Why opted for the forward..... not thinking straight I guess and did not do my homework, got sucked into the thought of the best options to make it handle better and the such..... nothing that some more time (have some right now) and more $$ (not much left) cant fix.
    1985 Capri
    5 speed RS
    Ext - Red/Grey
    Int - Tan

Car is coming together. Nice work.

Thanks - Still have a long way to go..... need to order rims for the rear soon. Since having axle housing cut for 9" ends, going to have it cut/set for what ever back-spacing rims I end up with. Now deciding if I am going to roll the fenders and take the BFH to the inner fenders to max out tire width. Decision... decisions...... Going to be ordering shorty headers and x-pipe this week and put the long-tubes up for sale. Still have time to figure out the front control arms since it is not ready to run yet. Also looking to rewire the car with a custom harness so I dont have to deal hacking up the factory harness, or at least considering it if I can get all the wiring pigtails I need.
    1985 Capri
    5 speed RS
    Ext - Red/Grey
    Int - Tan

Awesome build and history (gotcha beat by 2yrs of ownership!). The forward arms looks like some fender fab might be in order followed by trimmin up the airdam extensions... I dont know what you final goals/usage will be but when I was deciding on what size rims to run in the rear I somehow ran into a little voice of reason (honestly never happens) an decided not to get hung up on running the biggest possible fit. I instead realized that I'd only ever see realistically a couple track days a year and if I was that concerned with grip I'd just get a set of purpose tires. I really didn't want to hack up or roll fenders... Again, just my choice. It is your canvas and whatever you decide to make you happy I'm sure you'll love it and It will look great! Too bad you could get a set of front fenders with an altered opening... (Fab Idea!)
    - Ed

'85 Capri RS - "1BADMERC" -'00 GT40P motor & heads, Edelbrock RPM/Holley 650, E303 cam, full length BBK ceramics,5spd/flowmaster 2-chambers/373's
    5 Lug conversion, cobra discs on all four corners, 1" drop

My cowl hood thread:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=131334

Quote Originally Posted by edman1000 View Post
    Awesome build and history (gotcha beat by 2yrs of ownership!). The forward arms looks like some fender fab might be in order followed by trimmin up the airdam extensions... I dont know what you final goals/usage will be but when I was deciding on what size rims to run in the rear I somehow ran into a little voice of reason (honestly never happens) an decided not to get hung up on running the biggest possible fit. I instead realized that I'd only ever see realistically a couple track days a year and if I was that concerned with grip I'd just get a set of purpose tires. I really didn't want to hack up or roll fenders... Again, just my choice. It is your canvas and whatever you decide to make you happy I'm sure you'll love it and It will look great! Too bad you could get a set of front fenders with an altered opening... (Fab Idea!)
    Thanks for the comments
    I was intending on getting a different set of fenders and modifying them. I was thinking of taking 4 fenders and making 2 by cutting the wheel opening and flare off on set then using then section them into the other set but forward about 1.5 " now thinking of using a set of mustang fenders as a base and sectioning in the capri wheelipening/flare. I have an extra set of extensions tunes for this too. M on the same page as you on not wanting to hack up the rear fenders at all. Thinking of 275 in rear max. Have to go with 18" wheels due to size of brakes in the front.
    1985 Capri
    5 speed RS
    Ext - Red/Grey
    Int - Tan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast