Close

Default Mac Shorty Header problems!!!

Hey guys i blew a header gasket on the passenger side of the motor and i replaced the gasket with the aluminum reusable gasket. I have been fighting with this headers form days. the header will bolt up on the last holes on each side of the header but only to one hole and they seem like they want to go in cross threaded everytime i can only flex the header so much and they wont go in straight. The holes dont want to line up. is there a tip to getting this header on ??? all the other bolts go in fine ! thanks

I had the same problem with them. I was able to wrestle them back on though the motor was out of the car and on an engine stand. The problem with these units is they don't have a continuous flange at the head. Once they get some heat in them they will distort...thus fitment issues. I left mine on about a year and then bought a pair of stainless Ford Racing units...best decision made!...IMHO.
    HAD
    '82 GT monochromatic (red)...black cloth

HAVE
    '85 GT vert two tone (white on charcoal)...white leather
    '00 F350 two tone (white on silver)...gray cloth
    '00 Excursion Limited two tone (white on tan)...tan leather...wifes ride
    '08 Taurus Limited ice blue...tan leather...daughter ride
    '08 Edge Limited white sand tri-coat metallic...tan leather...other daughters ride

yeah man its crazy !! i think im going to look into a new set they look like they are from the early 2000s .

these are gt 40 heads btw

Lisle or kd used to make a tool for this. You can make a crude one with a bolt and a all thread coupler. Bolt the ones you can and unthread the bolt from the coupler to push the tube(s) into place. Hope this makes sence, posting from phone.

You can use a spreader tool to push them into place, I've also used ratchet straps and actually pulled on the tubes to align the bolt holes. I have also used giant pry bars too.
    85 G.T. All motor
    337 c.i.d 11.44-120 mph

1984 1/2 G.T. 350 (13.01-106 mph)

1984 G.T. (Daughters car)

1986 G.T. (Son's car) (12.99-105 mph)

Quote Originally Posted by 306gt View Post
    You can use a spreader tool to push them into place, I've also used ratchet straps and actually pulled on the tubes to align the bolt holes. I have also used giant pry bars too.
    I had a couple of sets of Mac headers, and never had that problem - at least not too badly. The problems I had with them was the thin metal in the collector areas rusting out and leaking. Other than that, I thought that they were fairly decent headers.

I have read to make sure the headers are totally cooled off/down, before removing them from the heads.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

I've used this bugger on a few non Fords.
    Performance Tool Exhaust Manifold Spreaders W80663

~$8-12

Make sure the threads are well greased up with anti-seize.
    -Michael
    '79 Fairmont 5dr 'car guy safe' MM Tech Tips StopTech Brake Bias StopTech White Papers

thanks guys gonna try it again