Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default And now I own a Corvette...

I had a beat up old work truck that I was trying to sell with little luck and a guy emails me out of the blue and asks if I would want to trade it for an '86 Corvette. I've never really been a corvette guy but I've always thought they were interesting car so I went ahead with the deal and traded for it. The guy really needed a truck for his job, had no money to get one, and had this vette that was sitting in his garage for a couple years that he realized he would never use. It ran like crap when I first got it but I cleaned out the tank, replaced the fuel filter and the fuel injectors and now it runs like new again. It still needs some tinkering on little things but looks like it might make a fun driver. It looks like it has every available option in it including the Z-51 performance package. Automatic transmission though but from what I understand the standard 4+3 transmission was not a good one to have.

I love mustangs but I also love just about any car from the 80's.

'79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '10 Mustang GT Convertible
    '17 F250
    '17 Landrover Discovery Sport

I drove a white one that we had at the dealership I worked at and was just not impressed. Automatic 86. I could've had it for around $4,500. Looks like you did alright though. Congrats
    1998 SVT Contour #0003/Bondurant Instructor Car
    ^Currently Totaled^
    1993 SVT Cobra #2048
    1980 Capri RS

1988 Thunderbird Turbocoupe
    1970 Boss 302 Trans-Am Package

not bad
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

Quote Originally Posted by gregpro50 View Post
    I had a beat up old work truck that I was trying to sell with little luck and a guy emails me out of the blue and asks if I would want to trade it for an '86 Corvette. I've never really been a corvette guy but I've always thought they were interesting car so I went ahead with the deal and traded for it. The guy really needed a truck for his job, had no money to get one, and had this vette that was sitting in his garage for a couple years that he realized he would never use. It ran like crap when I first got it but I cleaned out the tank, replaced the fuel filter and the fuel injectors and now it runs like new again. It still needs some tinkering on little things but looks like it might make a fun driver. It looks like it has every available option in it including the Z-51 performance package. Automatic transmission though but from what I understand the standard 4+3 transmission was not a good one to have.

I love mustangs but I also love just about any car from the 80's.

Nice vette. I'm the same way. I love 80s cars. Besides 4 eye foxes, I've owned trans ams and a grand national.
    1984.5 GT 5.0 5 Speed ANALOG
    BBK Long Tubes/H pipe/FM
    Edelbrock Intake/Holley 600
    8.8 w/FMS 3.73s
    Steeda Shifter

2010 GT 5 Speed DIGITAL
    Track Pack
    Pypes Violator axle back
    Airaid Cold Air

Great score! My next toy will be a C4 Corvette. I love them.
    1986 Mustang GT w/T-Tops

FEP Power Member

Looks like it has a later style rear bumper. These years of cars are not the best of that generation but they are still seen at autocross events. Because it is a Vette there are lots of aftermarket solutions, upgrades and restoration parts available. Slap a Paxton supercharger on it and you could have lots of fun.

By todays standards no, it's not very impressive. I ran it up and down the road and my first impression is that it rides like crap and is uncomfortable to sit in. It sort of feels like a big Fiero with a V8 if you've ever been in one of those. Its a car that you have to fall into and climb back out of. It's fast by 80's standards. The engine is torquey and has no problems breaking the tires loose but I really think my wife's twin turbo explorer would outrun the thing. But it's got a throaty V8 and the top comes off. It's also got the "Atari" instrument cluster that just screams 80's to me. The hood lifts up backwards which my kids think is cool. They call it the bumblevette. I really wasn't looking to get much out of the truck I traded for this thing so to me this is just a cheap trip down memory lane.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

Put a receiver hitch on it and tow your matching yellow Jet Ski! I've been thinking bout getting me a 69' Vette and dropping a Coyote 5.0 in it, Love the lines on that year, but just not a GM motor fan. Nice score, drive it, have fun and then sell it!
    richard3rd

1965 Coupe
    1966 Convertible
    1983 GT w/T-Top
    1984 & 85 Convertible
    1988 GT w/T-Top
    1988, 89 & 91 LX Coupe
    2001 GT
    1981 T-Top Coupe (Current & Last!)

Quote Originally Posted by richard3rd View Post
    Put a receiver hitch on it and tow your matching yellow Jet Ski! I've been thinking bout getting me a 69' Vette and dropping a Coyote 5.0 in it, Love the lines on that year, but just not a GM motor fan. Nice score, drive it, have fun and then sell it!
    your swap is other way around lol

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

I've had vettes too, cool cars,but, they didn't get a good motor until the LT1 in the 90s. Cross fires, or whatever were just weak and no one really wanted them. I hope your truck wasn't too valuable, those years don't bring hardly any money at all. Can't believe he swapped the rear to one 91-96. That devalues it as well. If it drives well they are only a few thousand dollars now a days.

Nice score! I would've probably done that too, just out of curiosity. More chance of someone on the street coming up and offering you money for that, than for the truck.

I guess it was a pretty even swap, as far as far as monetary (KBB, NADA) value goes?
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Be sure and check for debris build up in front and behind the radiator. Especially at the bottom of the radiator there is a area which will hold dirt and such. If it clogs it will mess up the a/c system.
    85 5.0. 68 cougar- hidden four eye.
    12 5.0
    02 6er

Quote Originally Posted by vascj View Post
    I've had vettes too, cool cars,but, they didn't get a good motor until the LT1 in the 90s. Cross fires, or whatever were just weak and no one really wanted them. I hope your truck wasn't too valuable, those years don't bring hardly any money at all. Can't believe he swapped the rear to one 91-96. That devalues it as well. If it drives well they are only a few thousand dollars now a days.
    It has the tuned port injection L98 engine. The crossfires weren't too good from my research.

I traded a wrecked 06 Chevy for it that I did an insurance buy back for $1200 so really that is all I have into it. I was asking $2500 for the truck and no one wanted it. This got a smashed truck out of my driveway and something for me to play with for a while. I don't think I'm going to get hurt on the deal but who knows. I'm sure I'll have to put some money into it.

The rear bumper cover is actually an aftermarket piece. The beltlines are different on the '91-97. No idea why the swap was done.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

Quote Originally Posted by vascj View Post
    Lt1 is good motor, until the optispark ....., I move to ls1 and never look back, or want own another lt1 .

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

Sounds like you are in a very good place considering the details of the trade. Have fun with your new toy!!!L

Quote Originally Posted by gregpro50 View Post
    It has the tuned port injection L98 engine. The crossfires weren't too good from my research.

I traded a wrecked 06 Chevy for it that I did an insurance buy back for $1200 so really that is all I have into it. I was asking $2500 for the truck and no one wanted it. This got a smashed truck out of my driveway and something for me to play with for a while. I don't think I'm going to get hurt on the deal but who knows. I'm sure I'll have to put some money into it.

The rear bumper cover is actually an aftermarket piece. The beltlines are different on the '91-97. No idea why the swap was done.

The crossfire was only in the first few years, by mid 80s they had a respectable Tuned Port Injection system. Virtually the same TPI that was on the 5.7L Iroc and Trans Am.

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Yep, my uncle has one of these. what's nice is that the 'newer' ones, aka the one's with the square taillights, are more likely to have a stick than a 4+3

I think late 80s early 90s LT1 Vettes are a buy. Issues with suspension and power can be overcome with bolt on upgrades. Throw 5 grand at it and you have a classic poor man's super car.

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    I think late 80s early 90s LT1 Vettes are a buy. Issues with suspension and power can be overcome with bolt on upgrades. Throw 5 grand at it and you have a classic poor man's super car.
    Or.... or.... find a notchback shell for 500-800 dollar and throw 3-4k in it and having a cool car.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    Or.... or.... find a notchback shell for 500-800 dollar and throw 3-4k in it and having a cool car.
    Why just one when you could have both for twice as much?

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    Why just one when you could have both for twice as much?
    I like your style

double

I would do a JY 6.0 LS swap in a heatbeat!! Engine,trans and computer can be had for $1500 or less. I got a buddy that did the swap on his 87 vette and it was like night and day on the power. The car was WAY more fun to drive with the LS swap.

Nah I'm not going to put much work into this thing. It's drivable as it is and I've still got my mustangs to work on.
    '79 Indy pace car T-top
    '81 Cobra
    '81 Cobra T-top
    '82 Mustang GT T-top
    '87 Corvette
    '17 F250

Sounds like you did pretty good on the deal. I would probably clean it up and try to flip it if it were me. It could pay for the paint on your new project!
    86 Notch under construction

2011 4Runner Trail edition
    2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast