Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Well the holidays are over and the grind has begun for 2015. Hard to find the time to work on the car. Here are a couple shots of the new radiator support from Team Z. It is a real nice piece if you find yourself in need of one. Pretty easy to cut the old one off at the frame rail and weld the new one on. It is pretty basic and light weight. Everything I have bought from them I have been happy with and service has been excellent. I thought I would be further along now but more rust in the frame and floor than I expected. I am going to use truck bed liner on the entire under body when I get everything fixed. Has anyone else done this or have any thoughts about doing it?
    Name:  Team Z Radiator Support 1.JPG
Views: 439
Size:  140.5 KB
    Name:  Team Z Radiator Support 2.JPG
Views: 438
Size:  132.7 KB

Car looks AWSOME!!!

This is going slower than I ever imagined however, it is still going! Scott Rod aprons installed. Need finish welding and grinding but they are in. Highly recommend the product if you want to clean up your engine bay. No replies to my previous post about using bed liner to coat the underbelly of the car. I am just wondering if anyone has done it or knows someone that has and what their thoughts are?
    Name:  IMG_2607.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  113.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_2609.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  101.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by davben50 View Post
    This is going slower than I ever imagined however, it is still going! Scott Rod aprons installed. Need finish welding and grinding but they are in. Highly recommend the product if you want to clean up your engine bay. No replies to my previous post about using bed liner to coat the underbelly of the car. I am just wondering if anyone has done it or knows someone that has and what their thoughts are?
    I used to be a Speedliner Dealer (Better than Rhino, Line X, etc. IMHO )when I had my resto shop many years ago. I sprayed everything with the stuff. From the underside of cars to complete Jeeps, to inside dually wheel wells, underside of front fiberglass fenders to the inside of cars too. Personally I like it as an effective undercoating/sound deadening/coating. The sound deadening is minimal compared to products like Dynomat, Hushmat, etc. Not quite as effective as Lizard Skin and other spray on sound deadening. Essentially it removes the tin can sound the stock floor pans can have in a Fox.

The product works well in lieu of regular paint or regular undercoating as it will only be slightly heavier in most cases and if you use a product like Speedliner that has great UV stability and color retention it will look brand new for years. I did a full ground up on a buddy's Chevelle and we sprayed the entire interior floor, then entire underside, the engine bay, firewall, both sides of the front wheel wells. We did just plan black as he wanted a somewhat stock look, but to this day it still looks brand new. It's a cruiser and show car, but he does drive it quite often and all he has to do is wash it with regular soap and water and it looks great! He is very happy with what we did. I did the same thing with my father's 89 F150 and although it's not a show car by any stretch it has held up great and still looks new too.

Surface prep, quality install, and a quality product are well worth it IMHO if you are considering it. I don't recommend the regular McParts Store stuff like Duplicolor and Hercule Liner, etc. as they are not the same quality and thickness as any of the spray in liners such as Speedliner, Rhino Liner, Line-X, etc. If you are going to do it yourself there are some other options out there to use that work pretty well for the overall costs.

Hope that helps!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Very helpful I really appreciate the info from someone that has personal experience with the stuff. Once I get to that point I will post some pics for all to see.

Scott Rod Panels all welded into the engine compartment. I wrapped the four post lift with 4 mil plastic and now blasting has begun. Soda wouldn't knock the rust off so I had to switch to sand. Hopefully, this coming weekend will finish blasting and then I can POR 15 and coat the under side with bed liner. A few picks to share:
    Name:  sand blasting 1.JPG
Views: 395
Size:  84.9 KB
    Name:  sand blasting 2.JPG
Views: 395
Size:  103.1 KB
    Name:  sand blasting 3.JPG
Views: 393
Size:  68.4 KB

Finished sand blasting yesterday and got the under side coated with POR 15. Before and after pics below. Still needs some touch up and finishing the engine compartment and front cowl but it really makes a difference. I hope to have no more rust issues ever. I did realize today that if I coat the underside with bed liner as planned I will need to figure out where the transmission mount is going to need to be. Having to move the mount after might not be too easy. In any case it feels like progress finally. This seems to mark the end of tearing down and the beginning of building it back up
    Name:  Pre por 15 3-20-15.JPG
Views: 376
Size:  104.5 KB
    Name:  after por 15 3-21-15.JPG
Views: 377
Size:  131.2 KB

What an awesome car this is going to be! The ultimate in my opinion! Looks so great!

Ironhorse2 thanks for the encouragement!

Can anyone help me with a dash question? I have a basic dash hull that doesn't seem to match up with the metal dash frame pieces I have. I suspect that there may be differences in the earliest fox cars and that even though everything I have comes from 79 to 86 cars they don't seem to go together. If my hunch is correct I screwed up because i threw away some pieces keeping only the the best from three dash structures. Now I can't put it back together

I am also thinking of going with a complete modern aftermarket heat and air unit. If anyone has done that I would like to hear the result and lessons learned!

Thanks for any and all responses!!!

OK, I am struggling and in need of encouragement. I haven't touched the car since April. Work, family, same old excuses. Picture as it sits below. Positive encouragement or ridicule accepted as I need a kick in the rear to get going this fall
    Name:  POR 15 progress 4-14-15.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  84.8 KB

FEP Member

Get off your lazy a$$ and finish this car.
    How was that? LOL
    I can't say anything, you are miles ahead of me with my
    84 RS Capri project.

Quote Originally Posted by FUKAZ28 View Post
    Get off your lazy a$$ and finish this car.
    How was that? LOL
    I can't say anything, you are miles ahead of me with my
    84 RS Capri project.
    Outstanding! Any motivation appreciated. I believe after this week the travel schedule will slow down a bit and give me a chance to get going.

How about some pics of my PC for motivation:

Mine was off the road for ~12 years. I've been driving quite a bit this summer now that it is back registered and insured. Enjoying every minute of it.

But I can't really rag on you for not touching your car, my "project" hasn't really had much love since May of this year.....

Now get back out there and get wrenching!

JT
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Love where you're going with this. I'm planning a full Terminator swap, including IRS, and I'm going for a bit of a "resto-mod" look, but I still want it to look like a Pace Car.

Hopefully my lack of progress will help you:

Here's the donor:

Last edited by pacettr; 10-17-2015 at 04:02 PM.

I love my PC and would love to do the Terminator swap too! I already have the IRS installed.

I do have to say though, please tell me whole passenger side of the Cobra is destroyed! Otherwise that Cobra looks too good to strip IMHO.

Trey
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I love my PC and would love to do the Terminator swap too! I already have the IRS installed.

I do have to say though, please tell me whole passenger side of the Cobra is destroyed! Otherwise that Cobra looks too good to strip IMHO.

Trey
    It's definitely repairable, but it already had a rebuilt title previously. The only thing I KIND OF feel bad about is that it's a 10th Anniversary car.

No progress since the Sept pics I took above. I came up with a new way to motivate myself. I ordered a 16 Cobra Jet crate engine for the car. Not that it is anywhere near ready for an engine but maybe if I sit the engine next to it and have to look at it every time I walk in the garage it'll call out to me
    Name:  2016 Cobra Jet Crate Engine M_6007_SCJ16_.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  26.4 KB

WOW!

Trey
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Got the CJ crate engine yesterday. Out of the packaging today!
    Name:  CJ Crate Engine 3-12-16.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  143.5 KB

My god!............. Thats gonna be awsome.

Love the Terminator swap idea. Are you going to use any of the interior?

If you haven't already bought your sound mat yet, I very recently used a product called GTMat Oynx. It is a clone of Dynamat Extreme. It is a good quality product (70 mil instead of 75) that is about half the price of Dynamat but almost an identical product. I looked around and found that a lot of the cheaper sound deadener products like fatmat and hushmat are asphalt based products and don't work as well as the butyl rubber mats for longevity, heat control and sound deadening quality. If it comes in roll form it is asphalt, that's how you can tell. You look like you're doing everything top notch on your build so I figured I would recommend a decent quality mat. GTMat Onyx is around $160 for 50 sq ft which is enough to do the entire floor in your driver and passenger areas, including your door panels. You will need around 15 square feet more if you want to do your hatch area as well.

What are you doing for sub-frame connectors? With that much power, you're gonna need them!

Awesome project! I will be checking back here for sure!

Robert
    Last edited by Hemlock; 03-13-2016 at 09:01 AM.
    1984 RS 347 Capri, To many car parts to list, check out my car build page here for the story on my car and a full parts list/setup!:

My RS in Action

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    If you haven't already bought your sound mat yet, I very recently used a product called GTMat Oynx. It is a clone of Dynamat Extreme. It is a good quality product (70 mil instead of 75) that is about half the price of Dynamat but almost an identical product. I looked around and found that a lot of the cheaper sound deadener products like fatmat and hushmat are asphalt based products and don't work as well as the butyl rubber mats for longevity, heat control and sound deadening quality. If it comes in roll form it is asphalt, that's how you can tell. You look like you're doing everything top notch on your build so I figured I would recommend a decent quality mat. GTMat Onyx is around $160 for 50 sq ft which is enough to do the entire floor in your driver and passenger areas, including your door panels. You will need around 15 square feet more if you want to do your hatch area as well.

What are you doing for sub-frame connectors? With that much power, you're gonna need them!

Awesome project! I will be checking back here for sure!

Robert
    Oh man, I bought fatmat but haven't installed it yet. I appreciate the heads up. I'll have to re-evaluate my sound deadener choice.

As for subframes, I had them built in through the floor when I had the car caged and mini tubbed.

this is going to be awesome! cant wait for more updates!
    Marshall - Posting from Dominican Republic

79 Pacecar 2.3 EFI turbo
    80 Capri 5.0
    81 Fastback roller

Finally getting back to work on this build. Pics of test fitting the front suspension. Just a bit of massaging and it is going to go in just fine. Next up is a bit of undercoating and then put the front suspension back in.
    Name:  1 Front Susp test fit 4-3-16.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  114.9 KBName:  2 Front Susp test fit 4-3-16.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  124.6 KBName:  3 Front Susp test fit 4-3-16.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  114.9 KB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast