Close

Default Trunk release button not working

I just got a 86 gt vert a few weeks ago. It didnt come with a trunk key and the trunk release button in the glove box doesn't work. I've tried it with the car running and off. I tried a hot wire from the fuse box and then it just makes a small click. I even tried it with using a ground wire too

Try getting it to click while pulling up on the trunk lid.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Thanks. I got a helper had them pull up on the trunk lid a few days ago. It didn't get it open either. Just tried it again this morning with helper while getting it to click with live wire. And trunk didn't open.

try pushing down to release some pressure of the trunk springs

if you can get to the rivet on the bracket just under the trunk lock(between the license plate lights)drill out the rivet and pull the bracket out, the lock may come out, not sure on a 86 but my 92 had another lock bracket on the inside of the lid, so this method wouldn't work.

if it comes out you can use a screwdriver to turn the trunk latch mechanism
    Last edited by FM2NOTCH; 11-22-2014 at 02:32 PM.
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

Got it opened!!!! And thanks.... Was a screw where the rivet use to be. I unscrewed it, pulled the bracket straight down. Then just used a screw driver to turn the lock..

supposed to be a rivet, sometimes they are reinstalled with a screw, later models, not sure when started using another bracket inside the lid,probably revised for security reasons.
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

Name:  IMG_0559.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  92.6 KB
    I think the previous owner must have already drilled out the rivet and replaced it with a screw. Here is a pic of the bracket. And thanks alot for your help