Close

FEP Member

Default rear end suspension

84 ltd lx, 5.0 sefi, t5. I hope to have 3.73 gears in my replacement 8.8 rear end next week. Since I am doing the replacement, I figure I should upgrade the upper and lower control arms and shocks. I am not sure about the springs or sway bar. I would appreciate any advice and suggestions.

Pretty sure if your doing springs you want to do them in sets, front and rear. I found the stock sway bar fine for me on my 85 although all of this depends on how fat your wallet is.
    GL

I went with Mustang GT suspension parts, except for springs. Mustang springs act differently.
    Changing rear springs made the fronts seem odd so all were changed. well worth the effort in ride quality and performance.

FEP Member

A buddy just updated his LTD LX with tubular uppers and lowers with urethane bushings. Stock sway bar and springs. And I must say it works very well. Just has bad wheel hop on launch since the T5 swap.

Lon
    Last edited by BadZ; 11-20-2014 at 03:49 PM.

FEP Member

Any particular brands of control arms and shocks?

Urethane bushings .... NO. They do not allow the axle assembly to 'articulate' (move up/down/side-to-side/rotate) like it is supposed to do. Either stick with rubber bushings or go with heim joints. Do not use urethane bushings.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by bgriff View Post
    Any particular brands of control arms and shocks?
    The control arms were something on sale at CJ Pont Parts. The shocks are parts store cheapies at this point. He just got lowering springs (CJ's store brand which is Eibach). So new shocks are coming as well. The rear end has heim joints at the axle housing. I know how people feel about the urethane bushings causing limited movement. But I feel a "properly" installed set with lubricated bushings work very well in most circumstances. If you are looking for all out corner carving, heim ends are the way to go. Pretty rough on the street though. The suspension has limited travel with lowered springs and stiff sway bars anyhow and it doesn't need full articulation like an off-roader would need.

Lon

The reason we say urethane bushings don't belong in the rear of a Fox is simple. They're just plain too stiff.
    Doesn't matter how much you grease them, because the control arms do not -ever- operate in a straight arc.
    Not even the lowers. Simple urethane bushings in simple tubular arms, like what's in that CJ Pony Parts kit,
    create suspension bind. Lubrication doesn't enter into it. Nor does installation technique. It's all about the
    geometry of the triangulated 4-link type of rear suspension (what's under the rear of our cars).

In any triangulated 4-link, the geometry has exactly one position where it wants to be. If you were to put
    solid aluminum bushings in those tubular arms, you could literally remove the rear springs and when you
    put the rear wheels on the ground, the suspension would not move much at all. This is because all four of
    the rear control arms always operate in compound arcs, even if the suspension is only moving straight up
    and down. In order to move, the triangulated 4-link suspension has to include some means to allow the
    control arms to deflect from the arc prescribed by the pivot point. These are not simple hinge joints.

The means to do that can be anything from rubber bushings to monoballs and heim joints. The latter are
    not acceptable in a mass-produced automobile for a variety of reasons. So from a production perspective,
    the balancing act with this type of suspension has always been about providing enough bushing compliance
    for the suspension to move, vs making the bushings firm enough to keep the rear end where it belongs,
    vs durability and NVH concerns.

And this is where much of the aftermarket gets things horribly wrong. Urethane is not compressible enough
    to do the job without undesired side-effects. The compound angles the upper arms must deal with are simply
    too large, even if you leave the rubber bushings at the axle end of the arms. The resulting suspension bind
    combines with the rear spring and stabilizer bar rates in very non-linear ways, even before you introduce
    body roll into the equation.

But worse than that is that the bind does not actually prevent the suspension from doing what it must do.
    No, those arms just transfer a portion of the necessary compliance into the chassis structure, which was
    never designed to tolerate such a high degree of repeated flex. This causes the torque boxes and the area
    around them to work harden, and eventually fail.

Urethane-bushed tubular upper control arms have no place in a triangulated 4-link rear suspension. Ever.
    The companies that make and sell those arms are either ignorant, dishonest, or some combination of the
    two. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but there's really no way to sugar-coat this.

And while the lower arms do not have to deal with compound angles as extreme as the uppers do, I still
    do not recommend simple urethane bushings there either. There are far more effective solutions available,
    even without resorting to heim joints. Before anyone ever buys a set of those cheap arms, they should
    spend some time educating themselves.

I don't like to shill for any brand, but Maximum Motorsports has a lot of good tech info on the Fox rear
    suspension, and they also sell products that just plain work. Yes, you'll pay a bit more than $142 for the
    set. But given what those $142 arms are going to cost you over the long term, it'll be worth every penny.
    Last edited by JACook; 11-21-2014 at 04:32 PM.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

FEP Member

What about shocks?

Fundamentally, the job of the shocks is to control the suspension, and that function ties directly to the spring
    rates you're using. But beyond basic function there's several factors to consider up front.

The shocks you choose really depend on what else you've done with the car, along what you're looking for the
    car to do. If your priorities favor straight-line weight transfer, the decision points are very different than if you
    favor carving corners. Or different again if you're just looking for a daily driver with good road manners.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune