Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How far gone is too far?

I jut want to hear different peoples takes on what is too far gone. I'm sure the subject has been beat to death in the past but what the hell...

For me it would be the 84 turbo coupe sitting behind my shop (picked it up a bit ago because it was cheap and complete). Shock towers are almost non existent, floors are shot, side swiped on the drives side, wiring is hacked and spliced beyond belief. Haven't even tried to get it to run. So, where do you draw the line?

How much you think you want to spend on ?
    Always Stay Humble. -Sinister-

That is dependent on each individual and the skills they have to repair it. Pics of yours would help us give better opinions in your specific case.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

Cost to vaule is big.... alot of our cars are labor of loves... it appears to be alot of work for that project....and may not for others. ..

FEP Power Member

Sounds like it's not worth repairing. Any thing can be fixed or rebuilt, but the time and effort may be too much.

Welding isn't a problem here nor is wiring. It's more of a question of when is a car too far gone. Here are pics. You guys judge. The pics do the car a ton of justice

3 words.....skill, time, money.

That said the car you describe, I myself would use as a parts car.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White

Thanks, that's kinda where I'm leaning with it. Especially since I have a 98 gt to finish, an 84 tbird élan to finish and a 99 cobra that's getting a new engine.

Happy hunting ground............

2 words, parts car
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

I wouldnt say parts car. Has potential. Just cause your plate is full is no reason to part a decent car out. I did part a tc out years ago. Pass side looked as good as that one. Drivers looked like a d-9 ran over it. Pass it on unless there is things your going to use off it i guess.

Wow, I've never seen a strut tower rust like that!
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

FEP Senior Member

Hows the drivetrain?

Drivetrain is complete. I diddled around yesterday a bit but can't get any power to the solenoid. Maybe more time this coming weekend will allow for better results

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

Parts car...I'll take first dibs on the 10 holes they are the nicest things on the car left unrusted.

FEP Member

Skill, time, and money will fix anything.

Neither here nor there

Quote Originally Posted by Damon23 View Post
    Skill, time, and money will fix anything.
    aka JTurbo lol, I swear he has rebuilt saw dust into a fox.

It's all been said above. Just depends.....
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

Different people with different skill sets will look at it - differently. LOL! If you've got the skills, tools, and time, anything is fixable. If you don't have the skills, tools, or time - it's a parts car. If you've got to hire someone to fix it for $2,000 or more, it's a parts car. Knowing when to draw the line can become tough sometimes. If that were mine, it would be a parts car because I don't have the welding skills, nor the tools to fix that. Also, when the wiring is hacked, I don't want to touch it. It's too risky investing money into something where the wiring is ruined - too easy to have a fire and see your dream burn to the ground.
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Attachment 77372

If the body is in good condition.........

RACE CAR!!!!!
    conmech - aka Marshall
    Pending build-1983 Mercury Capri RS NOT staying as it left the showroom floor......
    Sonic blue pearl, sand beige, netted halos, FR500 wheels and shiny under the hood.

Blog Entries

Heck, just seeing the open door picture, I blurted out, "PARTS CAR!" It's sad to see, but to me, there's no shame in parting out something that bad. Structural rust is a nightmare. Sure, someone COULD bring it back, but they'd have to be okay with throwing away tons of money and it'd have to be a labor of love. It's not reasonable to expect the average enthusiast to try to bring something like that back to a safe and drive-able (SP?!) condition.

Shame to see a four eyed Turbo Coupe parted, but I think that one is too far gone too. Never seen an 83-84 Mustang hood scoop mounted backwards!
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

The truly sad part is that the car was allowed to deteriorate to that condition. Such as it is now, at least by being parted out it helps keep the other cars alive. We all need donor cars for parts to keep the ones worth saving on the road.

Yeah after finding some rust where the roof skin meets the door jamb I think she may help other cars live on. I need to get it to run before parts come off just on principle. That is if I can figure out the wiring cluster eff. Trunk mounted battery, push button start, what a mess.

Ive seen much much worst here along the rust belt in MN. I think it could be saved and have fixed up far worst like my old 79 Datsun 280ZX.. you think the shock towers in that T bird are bad.. Like many have said already its all about how much you want to spend. I personally hate working on wiring issues so that would be the main thing that would turn me off to fixing it up. The rest doesnt look too bad to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast