Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My other thought is that I don't think I'm going to be running a huge tire and wheel combo. I am staying 4 lug. So up front I could probably squeeze in a 6 or 7 inch wide wheel. Possibly 16 or 17 inch

Quote Originally Posted by NewToFord View Post
    My other thought is that I don't think I'm going to be running a huge tire and wheel combo. I am staying 4 lug. So up front I could probably squeeze in a 6 or 7 inch wide wheel. Possibly 16 or 17 inch
    I think you'd be safe there.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I was also thinking about running a draglite or something like that on the front. But am I reading things correctly when it says the wheel is only 3 inches wide?

Hold on, the Fox Mustang A-arms are the same size/dimensions as the Fairmont/Zephyr A-arms. The Sn95 A-arms are longer by about 1.23". An SVO K-member will only work with the special SVO A-arms which are longer than the Fox Mustang A-arms. Using a '90 Mustang K-member shouldn't be a problem if sticking with '90 spindles and 15X7 rims.
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

FEP Member

I was also thinking about running a draglite or something like that on the front. But am I reading things correctly when it says the wheel is only 3 inches wide?
    3.5 inches wide is the narrowest. I run "skinnies" on the front of my zephyr and it's a love/hate relationship. I'd like to step up to about 5 or 6 inch wide on the front. It handles poorly with the skinnies. But they are light and less rolling resistance at the track. Guess I'm getting older because I'd like to be able to throw it into a turn a little harder. You should be able to find used 4 lug draglites relatively easily from your local mustang guys.

Lon

the 90 k member and a arms will kick the spindles/wheel out quite a bit further than the stock f/z set up. my 15/3.5 are right on the fenders lip and I remember having to pull the camber as far out as it would go to get it even close.
    John
    85 gt ttop
    86 coupe
    89 5.0 lx vert
    90 LX Hatch
    05 Power Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by EARLY84GT View Post
    the 90 k member and a arms will kick the spindles/wheel out quite a bit further than the stock f/z set up. my 15/3.5 are right on the fenders lip and I remember having to pull the camber as far out as it would go to get it even close.
    So what setup should I use? A 79-83 Mustang v8 k member?

Or cant I just change the motor mounts and keep my crossmember? And then use the 90 GT spindles?

FEP Member

You need a 78-86 4 or 8 cylinder K-member (for oil pan clearance). And you can use the 90 GT stuff with no impact on track width.

Lon

Yes 79-86 k member with 90 spindles,brakes, struts will keep track stock
    John
    85 gt ttop
    86 coupe
    89 5.0 lx vert
    90 LX Hatch
    05 Power Stroke

Ok then I will get the earlier crossmember. Is there anything I need to know about the rear end? I plan on using the 8.8 out of the 90 mustang. Will that track width be the same? Will everything fit ok?

Track width will be the same if you stick with drum brakes. Everything installs the same way as the original.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Hm, I just remembered I have 215/60/15 tires on my '78 wagon with the '87/'88 TC spindles (same as the '87-'93 Fox Mustang V8 spindles). Probably why I thought the '90 K-member and spindles would be fine.

I'm thinking of using a modified '86 Mustang K-member on my '82 Cougar wagon in order to use 1.23" longer Sn95 A-arms and '94 Mustang spindles.

With the A-arm mounting holes redrilled 1/2" inboard and 1/4" up I hope to clear using CC plates and 2005 Mustang GT rims. We'll see how that goes...
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Ok another question about my setup. I was talking to the guys at UPR yesterday. With their tubular crossmember I can buy front control arms that are 1 inch shorter on both sides. And convert the front end to a coil over kit, and still use my 90 spindles. Is this another option for me? Wouldnt that take care of the clearance issue that we have been talking about? Anybody put a tubular in their fairmont?

I've heard of someone that makes shorter control arms. I don't remember who or where I even heard of it, but it sounded expensive to me, haha.

Not matter what you do, if you just select your wheels carefully, you'll be fine. If you want big, S197 wheels should fit nicely. I have 16x7" SVO wheels on mine. They fit great!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Member

Ok another question about my setup. I was talking to the guys at UPR yesterday. With their tubular crossmember I can buy front control arms that are 1 inch shorter on both sides. And convert the front end to a coil over kit, and still use my 90 spindles. Is this another option for me? Wouldnt that take care of the clearance issue that we have been talking about? Anybody put a tubular in their fairmont?
    I had entertained this idea, until I realized the narrower arms have solid heim ends instead of bushings. For me that sounds a little to rough on everything (tubular k-member, body and me) for a true street/strip car. Admittedly I like to drive mine on the street a good bit and PA roads suck bad. I have a tubular K-member in mine with stock everything else (A-arms, struts, springs, spindles and brakes). It would however, take care of the clearance issue we're talking about.

Lon

FEP Senior Member

You don't need to change 6 cyl cross member for a v/8 or 4 cyl. All you do is cut the ft edge off of the 6 cyl where the motor hits it.
    Have done this several times. I did go to a v/8 cross member before I knew the difference.
    Will Rogers" common sense is not as common as you think"

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Senior Member

Good post . I had an empty block and dropped it onto the 6 cyl k member and had to open up the hole just a bit for it to settle in. Used a large washer and was good to go. Save a lot of work.
    Will Rogers" common sense is not as common as you think"

Excellent information. Glad I found this on the motor mount/6 cylinder K-member issue. On this topic; doing as you guys are saying and staying with the factory 6 cylinder K-member and going to a V8, are there any issues with headers ( BBK longtubes)?
    Appreciate any input.
    Somewhere down in Texas...

Mike1157

Quote Originally Posted by mcooke View Post
    Excellent information. Glad I found this on the motor mount/6 cylinder K-member issue. On this topic; doing as you guys are saying and staying with the factory 6 cylinder K-member and going to a V8, are there any issues with headers ( BBK longtubes)?
    Appreciate any input.
    Last edited by Mike1157; 07-05-2015 at 06:11 PM.

Cool, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 48fordnut View Post
    You don't need to change 6 cyl cross member for a v/8 or 4 cyl. All you do is cut the ft edge off of the 6 cyl where the motor hits it.
    Have done this several times. I did go to a v/8 cross member before I knew the difference.
    Bringing this back up from a year ago.
    I've finally got the time and everything rounded up to do this swap.
    The one thing I'm not clear on is has this swap been done successfully with long tube headers (without having to cut or relocate certain tubes)?
    48fordnut- In your doing this "several times"; did you ever use long tube headers, and were their any issues?
    Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12