Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Default 33 Years ago today I bought my 79 Mustang Cobra. My story

It was in November of 1986 and my father saw this car at Whitt's Auto Sales in Madison TN. He told me to go by and look at it.

I remember it being in the front of the lot with a neon yellow with black letters 45 degree 'Automatic' sign in the driver side window. I loved the car at first sight. I was 19, who would not love a red Mustang, well at any age

The car cost $3200, Dad gave me a $1000 to put down on it, and I payed the rest, $40.00 per week. I still have every receipt. I remember this being a hard time in my life, not knowing what to do with my life. Growing up, being a man, not being a kid anymore. A lot of hard decisions. The Mustang brought happiness to me. I think God places things in our lives when we really need it and I am sure this is one of them.

This is the earliest photo I have of the car. Taken back in 1986 on Vintage Kodak film.
    The white Mercury Topaz next to it was my High School girlfriend's car.

I had no idea at the time the car did not have the factory decals. I was in elementary school when this car was new. I did some research later on and corrected it.

The used car dealer repainted it - the same 2P Red and 1C Black but the decals and pin-striping were not correct so I changed them.

Day of purchase

I felt so proud to drive this car, people would stop me and say what a nice car it was.

I remember driving home one night and there was snow on the road. I slid off right into a ditch. It did not damage the car but I thought to myself I am going to wreck this car.

So I bought an 86 Dodge Colt, I had just paid off the Mustang, and paid $100 a month for it. I drove the Colt for 8 or 9 years. I remember reading in Car Craft, that said "Every ding you get in your daily driver is one less on your nice car" that always stuck with me.

Here is a picture of the Dodge Colt the day of purchase.

Well I needed a place to store my Mustang. I could not afford a storage place. God came through again. My Uncle had a detached wood garage that he said I could use. He said he never uses it. Well thanks to Uncle Cordell I was able to keep the Mustang in his garage for almost 12 years! That time got me through college, apartment living, and until I could finally have a house with a garage. I would not have been able to keep the Mustang without his generosity. He has since sadly passed but I always like to give him credit and always will!

Uncle Cordell's old house. Notice the wood garage in the back (see Blue Arrow). It was a shared garage and the owner to his left cut their section out. (This picture was taken after my Uncle Cordell passed)

I had shown the Mustang at a few shows but nothing like a MCA event. I became an MCA Gold 79-93 concours judge so I could learn how to restore this car more properly.

I knew I had always wanted to restore it to a concours level but could not afford it at the time, still saving

So, what I have been doing since 1987 is buying a NOS part a month. There were some times when I could not buy parts, but I have a lot of parts. I also asked for parts for gifts. In 1988 I got a NOS Dash Pad for Christmas. I joined eBay in 1998 for the sole purpose of finding parts. It use to be a lot easier. I could get NOS parts for a song. Now they are getting harder to find. I know I could have bought a finished car for the amount of parts and restoration costs. I just want to make this one a show winner. It has been a part of my life for 30 years! We are like a team.

My first NOS Part purchase

Some of my NOS parts stored away. I am always looking.

My goal is to show it at MCA events once a year in the future and bring my family. One day I hope to give this car to my child. Keep your dream alive. Mine has been going on for 30 years now. God bless

Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 12-18-2019 at 01:21 PM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Love this cobra, great story with the car too! cant wait to have mine repainted and have the bottom back to black.

very cool story!!! i wish i could and plan to own mine long as well!!!

Nice to hear of other long term owners. It's going on 24 years for mine so I understand what you mean about a team. Wish mine still looked that good though.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Great story. I've really regretted letting go of some of the sentimental cars that I've had, but sometimes life happens. I hope to run into you one day, I'd love to see that cobra!

Nice story David. I like to hear about cars that have been kept original and reading the owners pride in keeping them that way forever without a thought of ever selling it.
    Lots of FREE F/Z info on my site.
    http://myzephyrs.com

FEP Member

Nice story man. I love that car. Is the pic when you first bought it or current?

Great story and a beautiful car!

I like the long term owner stories. I to have the dream of passing the 86 vert to our son.
    Ray
    86 Mustang LX 3.8 Convertible (bought new}
    65 Galaxie 500 XL 390 auto
    2A

Totally awsome that you hung on to the cobra for 28 years! Great story too!! Chad

Great story and great car!
    Dan

1985 Lincoln Continental. T-5, Bullit wheels, Mustang springs and Hybrid Lincoln/Mustang control arms, 8.8 w 3.27s, Cobra swaybar, adjustable struts and shocks....

Venomous Moderator Hissing Cobra's Avatar

What a nice story David! I remember when I first bought my Cobra back in February of 2000 and I didn't even have internet back then. I knew it was a special model because I had never seen one before but had no knowledge of them at all. In April of 2001 I finally got a computer and began my quest to find info on the internet. Your car was the only one that I found back then and it was the same picture that you posted above. I remember saving it to my computer and I kept looking at it all the time for inspiration while I was building mine. While I took a much different approach than you by resto-modding mine, I still appreciate the stock ones immensely. Like you, I will never part with mine and I hope that in another 14 years, I'll be at the 28 year mark while you're at the 42 year mark!
    Pete Slaney

1979 Mustang Cobra

347/T-5/4.30's
    420 rwhp/380 rwt (New Motor)
    11.49 @ 121.86

306/T-5/4.30's (Old Motor)
    307 rwhp/278 rwt
    12.38 @ 111.38

Thanks brother Pete and All for your kind words! I hope all your 4-Eye dreams come true too!
    Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 11-06-2014 at 11:15 PM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

David -

I love your Fox story! I realized that I had never seen the interior of your car, so I looked at your photo album. Vaquero interior (my favorite) and automatic transmission...I'm so jealous! Keep up with the terrific work on the restoration.
    Bryan

1983 Mustang GLX Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
    David -

I love your Fox story! I realized that I had never seen the interior of your car, so I looked at your photo album. Vaquero interior (my favorite) and automatic transmission...I'm so jealous! Keep up with the terrific work on the restoration.

Hi Bryan. Thanks for the kind words. The picture looks grainy. It is actually Red. I like the Vaquero too

Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 11-07-2014 at 11:54 AM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

FEP Super Member
    Blog Entries

cool story...I'm starting that journey as well on my 86. Maybe 20 years down the road I'll have everything I need. thanks for the inspiration.

Great story. Thanks for sharing. I wish I could tell a similar story about a long car relationship. Maybe someday.
    Current Ride:
    2007 silver Ridgeline RTL

Past Rides:
    1985 black 2.3 auto Capri
    1989 black GT
    2000 laser red 3.8 5-speed Mustang

Future Ride:
    85/86 GT or Fox Notch or Any Cobra

very nice car and love the story. ive only had mine for almost 9 years but I hope to never part with her.

David, great story and well told. Your sentiments and pride show through clearly. You are a great contributor on this forum.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

29 years ago today.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

amazing to have a car that long

Quote Originally Posted by tonysilver82 View Post
    amazing to have a car that long
    It's always funny to me that people think that. Keeping cars forever is what my family has always done!
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 79mustangcobra View Post
    29 years ago today.
    That's cool, congratulations! At this point it's now a member of the family.

Congrats on 29 years and the journey you have had with your Cobra! Very Cool!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks everyone for their kind words! It amazes me I have been fortunate and blessed to have been able to keep the Mustang this long! There were some close calls over the years. It is a special thing to tell your kids that this was my car when I was a teenager.
    Last edited by 79mustangcobra; 11-05-2015 at 06:14 PM.
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

My Mustang Story

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast