Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Another fuel tank question- going fuel injected

Is the fc 2 fi tank a direct replacement for the stock 79 Fairmont boxtop tank? are the filler holes the same size and location? Also is the airtex E2146S is the correct pump and sender for this tank? I am swapping in an 89 5.0 ho and want it to look as stock as possible.
    John
    85 gt ttop
    86 coupe
    89 5.0 lx vert
    90 LX Hatch
    05 Power Stroke

I believe the F2A is the direct replacement for the '78-'81 FZ. F2C is used in '84-'86 fuel injected LTD/Marquis wagons.

This link has a discussion on fuel pumps and tanks on LTDs:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ump-conversion

This one discusses the differences in the filler pipe diameter and fuel tank fuel filler hole.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...arison-F2C-F2A

It seems the '78-'81 Fairmonts have the larger diameter filler pipe so it may not be possible to use if one is converting to SEFI and using the F2C fuel tank. In the first link I had said my '82 Cougar wagon's tank is the same as my '78 Fairmont. I think I am wrong because I didn't measure the filler pipes on both cars. One of these days I'm going to drain the Cougar's tank and remove it (and hopefully not get blown up and destroy the house - it's rear end is two feet away from the water heater and gas furnace) then I can take some proper measurements.
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

AHHHH ok F2a ok yea it is for the boxtop not my wagon. let me look into that one thanks Dean
    John
    85 gt ttop
    86 coupe
    89 5.0 lx vert
    90 LX Hatch
    05 Power Stroke

No I need a fuel injection tank to fit the box. I read that thread several times and more confused everytime lol.
    John
    85 gt ttop
    86 coupe
    89 5.0 lx vert
    90 LX Hatch
    05 Power Stroke

E2146S is a unicorn.. I have searched high and low and I can tell you the odds of finding one are 99.1 negative.. They were discontinued a while back

I'm currently involved in a Efi swap in my 81 wagon

Ah ha, if you are going to convert to fuel injection you have two choices: 1. Use the F2C fuel tank and join the rest of us looking for the remaining stock of Airtex LTD/Marquis wagon fuel pump/sending unit assembly (or get lucky and find a stock Ford unit at the wrecking yard) or 2: Use a SEFI Fox Mustang fuel tank and modify the spare tire well for the tank to fit properly. Ken Newman did the second option on his screaming yellow Futura sport coupe. He sliced the spare tire well around the perimeter (I think half way down) and then welded it in its new position after mounting the Mustang fuel tank and dropping the sliced off portion of the spare tire well on top of the tank.

I may do that if I convert my '78 2dr sedan.
    Last edited by Dean_T; 11-30-2014 at 10:00 PM.

autozone , advance and even summit list that pump as in stock. what am I missing?
    John
    85 gt ttop
    86 coupe
    89 5.0 lx vert
    90 LX Hatch
    05 Power Stroke

Yeah, Auto Zone lists it as something you can order.

http://www.autozone.com/external-eng...917699_0_4610/

I suppose if worse came to worst, you could always convert your early F/Z tank to a later F/Z and LTD/Marquis sedan tank if you can find it for one of those. The "Zone" lists that one available too.

Did John and I just save everyone's butts?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Aren;t those 2 tanks listed here for a wagon? i am not building a wagon but building a sedan. wouldnt the 84-85 3.8 fuel inj ltd tank fit the fairmont sedan? the pump hanger is differant for that tank also. this is where I get confused, everyone keeps directing me back to the wagon tank.
    John
    85 gt ttop
    86 coupe
    89 5.0 lx vert
    90 LX Hatch
    05 Power Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by EARLY84GT View Post
    Aren;t those 2 tanks listed here for a wagon? i am not building a wagon but building a sedan. wouldnt the 84-85 3.8 fuel inj ltd tank fit the fairmont sedan? the pump hanger is differant for that tank also. this is where I get confused, everyone keeps directing me back to the wagon tank.
    Yes, it's for an LTD/Marquis wagon. And yes, it is the right shape for your early F/Z sedan, '78-81. In the beginning, all F/Zs had the same gas tank, the F2A. In '82 they went to a deeper well trunk on the sedans and moved the spare tire up next to the rear seat. That same design carried through on the Granada/Cougar and LTD/Marquis sedans, BUT they did NOT change the wagon. The spare tire always remained in the same spot, therefore the wagon had a different tank from the sedan starting in '82. The wagon continued to use the F2A until they went to fuel injection, and the F2C replaced it.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Yes, it's for an LTD/Marquis wagon. And yes, it is the right shape for your early F/Z sedan, '78-81. In the beginning, all F/Zs had the same gas tank, the F2A. In '82 they went to a deeper well trunk on the sedans and moved the spare tire up next to the rear seat. That same design carried through on the Granada/Cougar and LTD/Marquis sedans, BUT they did NOT change the wagon. The spare tire always remained in the same spot, therefore the wagon had a different tank from the sedan starting in '82. The wagon continued to use the F2A until they went to fuel injection, and the F2C replaced it.
    ahh gotcha that makes sense. thank you for clearing it up. That's what happens when you work 16 hours shifts at night and try to build cars in the "spare" time, lol thanks again
    John
    85 gt ttop
    86 coupe
    89 5.0 lx vert
    90 LX Hatch
    05 Power Stroke

No problem. It certainly doesn't make sense that that's the way it happened, but nonetheless...
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Push come to shove I may just cut the sender section out of one of my stang tanks and weld it into the sedan tank and use the stang pump hanger and pump. Anyone tried this?
    John
    85 gt ttop
    86 coupe
    89 5.0 lx vert
    90 LX Hatch
    05 Power Stroke

It sounds like a lot of work but at the same time, you can weld in the in tank fuel pump baffle and secure it better than the cheesy factory spot weld which sometimes breaks and the baffle goes walk about and takes out the pump/sender assembly.

Has anyone tried to order the Airtex pump at Summit? I've read someone else tried to order from Advance and the 'Zone and it came back unavailable. Maybe try again and see if they're available again?

I will be ordering one here in the next few weeks. I guess we will see what happens.
    John
    85 gt ttop
    86 coupe
    89 5.0 lx vert
    90 LX Hatch
    05 Power Stroke

Yes advance and autozone do not stock the E2146S anymore.. It shows online but when you attempt to purchase it it's shows unavailable. I've been trying for the past few months.. I went ahead and purchased this..

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/a...45s&showTitle=

Same unit but for digital fuel level gauge. I have to figure out what to do about a fuel level gauge somewhere down the road.

Now the harness and filler neck are my issues... I haven't had any luck locating a fuel filler for the f2c.. Also looking for the harness at a plugs into the pump/sender..

Early84 I see your in MD.. I am also

Quote Originally Posted by Qwkjimmy View Post
    Yes advance and autozone do not stock the E2146S anymore.. It shows online but when you attempt to purchase it it's shows unavailable. I've been trying for the past few months.. I went ahead and purchased this..

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/a...45s&showTitle=

Same unit but for digital fuel level gauge. I have to figure out what to do about a fuel level gauge somewhere down the road.
    Oh, that's a bummer. How lame is that??!

I have one of those new replacement electrical connectors on mine, and it works great. As for the fuel sender, I had to graft one on for an '87 and up gauge, so it is possible to swap them out. I did it the hard way though. If you look into it a little further, you might be able to get away with just swapping the resistance strip.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I am probably just going to go with a aeromotive in line pump and remake the pick up out of the tank to 1/2" tube anyway. With the 88mm turbo I'd rather not chance the stock lines and intake pump. Bigger is always better when boosting. lol....
    QWKJIMMY- Yep we are in Harford co Md where are you located? What are you building?
    John
    85 gt ttop
    86 coupe
    89 5.0 lx vert
    90 LX Hatch
    05 Power Stroke

I'm in Waldorf MD...
    NA 5.3 4l80e wagon

Hey EARLY84GT did you sell a 5.0 turbo fairmont a while back?

Quote Originally Posted by Qwkjimmy View Post
    I'm in Waldorf MD...
    NA 5.3 4l80e wagon
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Yep... Sorry.. Hope I don't get banned from the group

As long as you don't post a "how to LS swap" thread or start any arguments about it, you'll be fine.

It's not too late to change your mind though...
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast