Close

Default Rear disc brake question

Does anyone know if the 87-88 Turbo T-Bird rear E-brake cables are the same length as F/Z drum cables.
    I have the SSB kit but, It comes with cables for Mustang which are way too long and I want to keep the foot operated e-brake.
    The stock F/Z cables are about the right length but wrong ends.
    Thanks,
    Ron.

Somebody must have done this , Anybody?
    Thanks,
    Ron.

I salvaged the cables from a Turbo Coupe but never installed them. If I have a chance I'll try to dig them out of the shed and take some measurements.

Is the '87/'88 Turbo Coupe wheel base 1" shorter than the Fairmont?
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Dean,
    That would be great if you could. I'm at a dead stop now. (no pun!)
    I've even tried to e-mail Wagner, 4 days no reponse.
    I will buy new ones if the length is close.
    Wagner shows 2 different part #'s so maybe they are different lengths
    Thanks alot,
    Ron.

It maybe until Friday I can get to them. With this change to standard time it's dark by the time I get off work (D'oh!). I need to know if it will fit too since I have all the parts to change to rear discs on a Fairmont. No sense having all those parts sit on shelves and in the shed.

Dean,
    That would be great.
    Fall is great here but, early darkness really sucks. DST should be year round.
    I'm going to work on the fluid line extension Wednesday. Ordered fittings from Fastenal
    that should simplify the hook up.
    Thanks,
    Ron.

Something else to consider is using '86-'92 Lincoln Mark VII rear cables. Ukravit mentioned he used a set on his Zephyr:

Nice looking Zephyr

I was thinking about those too since it looks like it would swap out with the FZ rear drum brake cables. Ukravit mentions they're only slightly longer but can be adjusted to fit.

I will still measure the TC cables since I already have them. Friday I'm off so I should be able to get this done (best laid plans of mice and men...)

Great!
    If you could get the cable and sheath lengths I can try to match them up.
    The Lincoln cables show a different connector on the front end.

Ron.

I used the Raybestos BC94587 from Rockauto http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=1696
    they list it at 37 inches long. a 36 inch would work too. When you measure there is the cable length and the casing that holds the cable and mounts it to the car. The casing was shortened 1 and a half inches to help routing from the frame to the caliper.
    Also on one end of the cable there is a spring retaining clip , the one with the prongs on it that was popped off because that end goes to the caliper not the frame mount when you use it on the F/Z. The other end is the right size for the frame mount and is held in with the factory style clip/pin.
    When I used the 84 Lincoln cables there was a clip on the end of the cable I had to remove and the casing length was a little too small.
    I am using Turbo Coupe calipers and with the set up I have the car will stall if you forget to take the brake off. It really works well.

Sorry about the delay - Our 24Hrs Race of Lemon's team was running the car at Buttonwillow's test and tune day so I had to go see it. It broke. Again. We're doomed.

Anyway, I dug out two sets of T-bird TC cables and I may be missing some pieces because I can't see how it attaches in front. The Fairmont has a pivot under the driver's seat area and there's bare cable inside it. The T-bird TC cables are fully sheathed from front to back.

The longer cable which crosses over to the passenger side and the front end terminates to a threaded rod not unlike the adjustable clutch cable earlier Fox Fords used. This cable has the following dimensions:

Sheath: 90-5/8"
    Cable: 101-1/8"
    threaded rod is 5-1/2"

The driver's side is as follows:

Sheath: 65"
    Cable: 68-13/16"
    The forward end is a cylindrical piece which fits inside a very skinny connector and there is a short cable which attaches to the other side of the connector. I think this may be the foot pedal side of things. I only have one of this cable. If you want that cable's dimension let me know. I didn't have a change to get pictures but I can if needed.

I also seem to have one side of a Lincoln MK VII brake bracket and E-brake cable. Unfortunately, I don't know what year.
    Last edited by Dean_T; 11-09-2014 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks guys,
    I was hoping the T/C used the F/Z type of e-brake cabling.
    Apparently not. As we know the F/Z uses 2 short cables connected to
    the cross cable and roller.
    Guess I'll either have to have the SSB cables shortened or change the caliper ends
    on the stock cables.
    Also will try to find a cross reference for cables.
    Ron.

<threadjack>
    Dean, I didn't know you were still running LeMons. I assume it's still the 2.3L notch? I haven't seen you guys on the track in a while. I'm sorry to hear the test session didn't go well. I'm in the middle of resurrecting my own LeMons racer, but mostly aesthetically, because we got invited to be in the Hollywood Christmas parade. So I'm fixing racing damage and adding LED lights - kinda different than my normal race prep routine!
    </threadjack>
    85 Ford LTD LX: Four eyes and Four doors

EFI swap, AFR 165 heads, 5-speed conversion, Cobra brakes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ukravit View Post
    I used the Raybestos BC94587 from Rockauto http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=1696
    they list it at 37 inches long. a 36 inch would work too. When you measure there is the cable length and the casing that holds the cable and mounts it to the car. The casing was shortened 1 and a half inches to help routing from the frame to the caliper.
    Also on one end of the cable there is a spring retaining clip , the one with the prongs on it that was popped off because that end goes to the caliper not the frame mount when you use it on the F/Z. The other end is the right size for the frame mount and is held in with the factory style clip/pin.
    When I used the 84 Lincoln cables there was a clip on the end of the cable I had to remove and the casing length was a little too small.
    I am using Turbo Coupe calipers and with the set up I have the car will stall if you forget to take the brake off. It really works well.
    Do you know, will these cables work with sn95 rear calipers? I'm planning on putting Cobra brakes on my Fairmont.
    80 Fairmont Futura 2.3 4spd (soon to be 2.3T 5spd)
    86 Turbo Coupe 2.3T 5spd
    89 Mustang 2.3T 5spd (WRL Racer)

www.RaceWRL.com

Yup, still the '87 4 banger notch. We had catastrophic hydraulic lifter failure on the test and tune day at the Sears Pointless Race last March. We've finally gotten the car back together and was shaking it down last Friday and one of the cam lobes got slightly wiped and the lifter follower received some severe gouging and actually went walk-about under the valve cover. We may try one more time for January's Sonoma race but after that we may be done.

And to get back on track, I vaguely recall the TC rear cable ends are the same while the MK VII's may be different although I need to check to be sure. I will have to dig out some parts to find out...

Bungy,
    The attachment for the cables looks the same for the turbo coupe and SN95 calipers.

Excellent. Thanks for the update. Looks like I'll be ordering some cables.
    80 Fairmont Futura 2.3 4spd (soon to be 2.3T 5spd)
    86 Turbo Coupe 2.3T 5spd
    89 Mustang 2.3T 5spd (WRL Racer)

www.RaceWRL.com