Close

Default 1980 Fairmont auto on the column options

ok so my car is a 80 fairmont. Right now it has the 6cyl. Soon to be a 302/stroker car. It is auto on the column. I like this as a sleeper, but from what I read and talked to header people the auto on column and headers are not going to work. Talked to a friend a speed shop today. He suggested putting a floor shift in. By the way I'm thinking I'm going to run a c4. I have a bench seat, and when I told him I'd never find a 80 fairmont bench seat console, he recomended aftermarket shifter from b and m or hurst. He said I would not have to cut a hole in the floor, and I would just have to drill a hole for the linkcage. So there will be no console. And then headers would work with my set up Has anybody done this? Any pics? Anybody keep the column shift and run headers?
    Last edited by NewToFord; 10-31-2014 at 05:28 PM.

New User

I have a 78 fairmont with a 302,c-4,and full length hedman headers and column shift.You will have to take the linkage off and put the headers on and when putting the linkage back on the one rod will actually go thru between the header tubes,there is plenty of room for the rod,their is also a ball end on the linkage that will have to be ground down a little bit or you won't be able to put the trans into first.These are hedman headers don't know if it would be the same for other headers.

Just some food for thought I was reading earlier tonight. Longtubes are over-rated.

http://www.sandersonheaders.com/Lets-Get-Technical.html
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I'm running a stock 78 floor shifter with the small trim bezel on the floor of my boxtop just like the mavericks and pintos did with no console around it.
    John
    85 gt ttop
    86 coupe
    89 5.0 lx vert
    90 LX Hatch
    05 Power Stroke

FEP Member

Quote Originally Posted by EARLY84GT View Post
    I'm running a stock 78 floor shifter with the small trim bezel on the floor of my boxtop just like the mavericks and pintos did with no console around it.
    And John's idea maintains the sleeper look!

Lon

I am running a C4, bench seat and column shift in my car. But I have a tubular K and am also running 85GT factory shorty headers. It was a little fab work making brackets but I'm happy with how it turned out.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...t=columb+shift

Any shortie type w/an offroad pipe will work w/column shift.
    78 Zephyr 302/C-4, 1990 Shorties and 1986 offroad pipe works for me.

Ron.

[QUOTE=amxron;1687670]Any shortie type w/an offroad pipe will work w/column shift.
    78 Zephyr 302/C-4, 1990 Shorties and 1986 offroad pipe works for me.

Aftermarket shorties fit as well? or just factory?

AFAIK All the aftermarket shorties bolt to the factory headpipe and will fit.
    The column linkage crossbar is in front of and below the header/headpipe
    on V-8's. The 6 cyl crossbar may be different, I don't have any off the car to
    compare.
    Goodluck,
    Ron.