Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 85 Saleen #73: Air Cleaner Lid Restoration

So I just received the original Saleen air cleaner lid for my 85 (it was lost when I went to get the car, but the seller was able to find it and send it out) but it's in pretty terrible shape. I have an NOS replacement, but I want to keep that for when my car is completely restored, so I figured I would try my hand at restoring the original lid.

The biggest issue with the lid is rust (there are a couple small dents as well), and there is plenty of it. Another problem is I can't find anyone making replacement "Saleen Mustang" decals, so I am forced to work around my original one (which is hard because of the rust). So when I'm done she probably won't be perfect, (because I am being cautious around that sticker), but she will be original.

With some advice from WraithRacing, I decided to try the rust removing product called Evap-O-Rust, to see if I can remove as much of the rust as possible with little effort. If you haven't used this stuff before, or you are skeptical (which I was) let me tell you....this stuff is great! I bought one 32oz bottle just to see if it would work, and was I ever surprised. Because the lid is huge the directions say to soak flat paper towels in the solution and lay them over the rusted areas. Then put some plastic over the paper towels to prevent them from drying out. I left the paper towels on for 12 hours (which is what the direction said for tough rust), and I checked on the wetness (and squirted some additional Evaporust over the paper towels) at the 6 hour mark.

Anyway, here are the pics...

Before (how I received the lid):

After Evap-O-Rust:

As you can see it really did a good job removing the rust. I was really happy with the results and I would definitely use it again.

Now to finish the job I'm gonna have to sand off the rest of the rust (being careful around the decal) and work my way up from coarse to finer grade sand paper. Once all that is done I will hit it with some Mothers Polish.

I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Good work Mike, and a good plan. I am always encouraged to see people take the effort to restore and preserve original parts (and stickers!).

Have you considered inquiring of our friend Red78 about the feasibility of reproducing a one-off of your sticker? He does great work.
    Bob in Lebanon, TN
    79 original owner six cylinder coupe
    MCA Gold Card judge for 3rd Generation cars

Where do you get evap o rust? Online? Or automotive stores? Thanks chad

I got mine from O'Reily's, but places like Home Depot also sell it. It comes in 32oz jugs for around $9 and gallon jugs for $23. Because I wasn't sure if it would work I only got the small container, but now that I know I'll probably get a gallon. It can be reused a few times over and it keeps for years, so it's worth the $$. Just make sure you follow the instructions to a "T" and it should give you the same results that I got.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Diet Coke works well also for removing rust from chrome.

Thanks Bob, I think restoring small parts (that make up the whole) is one of my favorite parts of the hobby. My air cleaner won't look perfect when I'm done, but I prefer an original part that shows some age, over a brand new part anyway (when it comes to cosmetic parts like this...I want new brakes and things like that..lol). They help tell the cars story. Plus this is one of the few Saleen specific parts that 85's received, so it was important for me to clean it up and reunite it with the car.

Also, thanks for the suggestion on the decal, I'll have to send him a PM. I believe this decal used to be reproduced, but it isn't anymore...and I can't find anyone with a stash. It's pretty basic looking so hopefully someone can make a nice copy for me.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Well I had some Evaporust left so I figured I would give it one more go:

Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

I recently used the Evapo Rust on some parts that I am having replated... amazing results. I am really impressed with the product.

As for your project, I would keep using the stuff until you get all of the rust off vs. "sanding". The sanding option may leave scratch marks that will be difficult to remove.

I assume this lid is chrome plated? If so, would you consider simply having it redone? I understand the sticker is an issue, but there are options out there to get it reproduced.
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

If I didn't have an NOS lid then I would think about the re-chroming, but because I do I figured I would see what I can do to make this lid look more presentable. I agree that I should just keep going with the evaporust until I get it all, but I know sanding is in my future for the area under the decal. I have paper from 320 grit all the way to 3000, so I should be able to remove any scratches I make. I've had a lot of success (on other things) with sand paper and polish and besides anything is an improvement over the way it looked when I got it (and I think it's fun to restore parts like this).

The other reason I need to preserve this decal is so that it can be used to create my reproduction (I need one for my NOS lid). I figure if the company can see exactly what it should look like (take measurements and match font), they will be able to do the best job possible with the copy's.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

The air cleaner lid looks great! Great work you have done there and I am glad it is working out!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

I agree with evaporust. It works great. I would soak it in a plastic container submersed if you can and let it sit for a day or two.

Keep us posted and good luck!
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Quote Originally Posted by 79m
    ustangcobra;1687329
    I agree with evaporust. It works great. I would soak it in a plastic container submersed if you can and let it sit for a day or two.

Keep us posted and good luck!
    I wish I could do that, it would be a lot easier and it definitely would eat all the rust. Unfortunately, I want to save the "Saleen Mustang" decal so complete submersion is not in the cards.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Are you sure it would hurt the decal? I've always been told it was safe for most finishes.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

I just don't want to take any chances. Even if it doesn't ruin the decal it might make it lift off the surface of the lid.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

I've started restoring 1950s Tonka trucks and have been thinking about this stuff as a way to strip rust. Paint is no problem but rust always seems to be an issue. I think I'll buy some and try it on some various things to see how it affects them.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

It should work well on those trucks, but you could always do a small section on the bottom of the truck to make sure it won't do any harm (do like I did and soak a paper towel, that way you have control over where the stuff goes).

I'm just so astonished at how well it worked for me. That lid was wasted and it ate just about all the rust I had.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

I am also a fan of Evapo-Rust. For my test I pulled a rusty caliper off my 83 RS. The rust was so heavy it was starting to flake. I immersed it completely for a couple of days and when I pulled it out, all the rust was gone.
    Dave

If common sense was common wouldn't it just be sense?

1983 Capri L T top 5.0 efi aod
    1983 Capri RS Turbo
    1981 Black Magic 400 c6
    93 F-250 351 5sp 4x4

FEP Supporter

Great results Mike! In your before picture, I wouldn't have suspected the lid was actually chromed.

I cannot find the big jugs of EvapoRust up here in Canada. Not at the usual, likely places at least. To buy enough little bottles to submerge some parts could end up pricey.

Neither here nor there

Get it at Advance Evapo-Rust Rust Remover 1 gallon
    Part No: ER012

Add to cart, add TRT30 for a coupon, get it for $16.09 plus tax picked up at your local store.
    We used it on my sons Moped gas tank, stuff is amazing and reusable.

Wow, that's a great deal. Thanks!
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Hi Mike

Totally understand about the decal. Here is an example with evaporust I posted before.

Take care

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ight=evaporust
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

Well I've hit a bit of a wall with my air cleaner lid resto. The rust that's below the decal was pretty bad. I removed it with evaporust and sand paper, but the metal underneath is very pitted and damaged. Is there anything I can do with this, or have I gone as far as I can with this project (meaning it would need to be professionally blasted and rechromed if I want that damage gone)?

The rust itself is gone, but it left a black pitted nightmare in its wake...what can I do?
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Since you have a NOS air cleaner lid, my guess is it's not cost effective to have the current lid repaired and chrome plated professionally. It's probably going to cost a lot more than what you paid for your NOS lid.

There are options in regard to chrome paints/coatings that might be cost effective and give you a very similar look without the high cost of chrome plating. The chrome plating of the lid isn't the high cost, it's the metal repair to the pitting that will most likely kill your budget. The big question is how much are you willing to spend to restore your original lid?

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I kinda figured I hit a wall and the only way I could fully restore the lid would be to send it to a professional. You are correct Trey, since I have an NOS replacement I won't be sending it off. Maybe down the line when my finances are better, but for now I'll either run the original lid as is, or use the NOS one.

Here are a couple pics of what the lid looks like now. I still have some polishing to do, but this will give everyone an idea of how it will look:

Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Not bad when you consider where I started, but it still has a long way to go (to be perfect).
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast