Close

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Kevin Tetz did the same thing on the Ranger pickup that Trucks built.

http://www.powerblocktv.com/episode/...s#.VlYkoL8pVu4
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

That approach was my original idea, but this saved me having to buy two sets of fenders. I also did not have such a big gap at the rear as they had with that truck as I only moved the wheel 1 1/2".

I think it's cool you actually fixed the opening instead of taking the easy way out which always looks a bit goofy to me.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

I pulled the drivers door down out of the attic yesterday to get it ready to go back on the car. Stripped it out and started cleaning it up, the rust along the bottom was worse than the other side. I was lucky with the passenger door as I only had to do a small repair, this one required most of the bottom edge replaced. The outside of the skin was not perforated, but the rolled edge was way too rusted to keep, so I had to cut away part of the skin to rebuild that.

This is the metal that I cut out.
    Name:  2015-11-28 13-34-19 - 0008_resize.JPG
Views: 250
Size:  161.2 KB

I managed to get a couple pieces cut and bent yesterday before I had to head to work for the night. This afternoon I got back to it and finished fitting those pieces up and got them welded in as well as the rest of the repair.

Name:  2015-11-28 13-48-44 - 0009_resize.JPG
Views: 697
Size:  163.3 KB

Name:  2015-11-28 13-53-19 - 0010_resize.JPG
Views: 700
Size:  168.8 KB

Name:  2015-11-28 14-53-49 - 0012_resize.JPG
Views: 700
Size:  216.3 KB

Name:  2015-11-28 14-54-13 - 0013_resize.JPG
Views: 697
Size:  194.3 KB

I finished off welding all along the joints just as I ran out of welding gas, so I have to go pick up a fresh bottle Monday now. I still need to grind all the welds down and clean up the door. I need to decide if I'm going to save the data label on the door or not. I understand reproduction ones can be ordered through the Marti reports. It would be nice to clean everything up and start clean with the new paint colour as opposed to trying to save the old label.
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 03-16-2017 at 07:13 PM.

Finished off the door work this morning enough for it to be ready to hang on the car. Ground all the welds down and then spent some time cleaning the grime off the door jamb all around being careful to preserve the certification label for the time being at least. Sanded, buffed, wiped clean with thinner and a quick coat of rust encapsulating primer to protect it. Once that dries, I'll pop in the new hinge bushings and get it on the car.

Name:  2015-11-30 11-52-20 - 0003_resize.JPG
Views: 251
Size:  202.3 KB

Name:  2015-11-30 11-52-30 - 0004_resize.JPG
Views: 250
Size:  194.3 KB

Name:  2015-11-30 11-56-57 - 0005_resize.JPG
Views: 249
Size:  204.1 KB
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 03-16-2017 at 07:14 PM.

This afternoon's progress.

Got the door and fender on and the nose on, but not completely bolted up. I decided it was time for a photo shoot, so I pulled it outside into the alley where I could get full side shots.

Name:  2015-11-30 14-18-06 - 0001_resize.JPG
Views: 563
Size:  234.6 KB

Name:  2015-11-30 14-18-16 - 0002_resize.JPG
Views: 787
Size:  211.6 KB

Name:  2015-11-30 14-18-26 - 0003_resize.JPG
Views: 248
Size:  215.8 KB

After that, I got busy at sanding the horrible paint of the air dam for the Pace car nose. I am amazed at how pliable the urethane is after getting that heavy layer of paint off. It was quite rigid with it on.

Name:  2015-11-30 16-00-07 - 0005_resize.JPG
Views: 247
Size:  199.8 KB
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 03-16-2017 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    I like the fender mod, could we get a shot of it from further back?
    Also got a better shot of the fender as requested.

Name:  2015-11-30 14-18-45 - 0004_resize.JPG
Size:  205.0 KB
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 03-16-2017 at 07:18 PM.

I am running into the same fender issue on by 85 Capri. It will be way more than I want to chew off, but going to take the "Kevin Tetz" approach using a set of sacrificial Capri fenders and a set of mustang fenders. In my case, like Tetz, plan is to move the entire wheel opening forward. Have some thoughts on dealing with the trim too.....

I just need to finalize the wheel package and get them to make sure I modify the fender appropriately.

Steve O.
    Battle Creek, MI
    1985 Capri
    347 (Baker Engineering built, Dart block, GT40x, RPM air-gap, Mahle pistons, custom cam...)
    5 speed RS
    Ext - Red/Grey
    Int - Tan

Capri fenders might be a little more challenging to do, would enjoy seeing how they turn out for you. I will only need to modify the front most trim piece and should be able to simply cut it down in length to suit. I haven't decided what method will be best to cut them yet, but I'm thinking of trying my miter saw with a good fine tooth blade. If you move the whole wheel opening forward, you'll need longer pieces at the rear of the fender so you'll need to source some donor material for that such as a door piece or the longer pieces behind the door.

Great read. Like the muffler relocation and the fender work.Tx for posting!

This afternoon I figured I'd have a go at the inner fenders to see how they might fit up to the modified fender. On a hunch I grabbed a pair of inner liners from a 94 Mustang thinking that they just might work with a bit of trimming. The 94 wheel opening is much larger than the Fox fenders have and the lower part of the fender is wider too. The lower part of the plastic was the part I had to trim the most. Basically I just held the plastic up in the fender opening and marked the outline of the fender. It took a couple of times to get the plastic trimmed down in all the right places to fit. Once I had them cut down they fit almost as if they were made for the car. I love it when a hunch pays off.

Name:  2015-12-08 14-47-05 - 0002_resize.JPG
Views: 670
Size:  199.2 KB

Name:  2015-12-08 14-47-17 - 0003_resize.JPG
Views: 916
Size:  243.0 KB

Name:  2015-12-08 14-47-28 - 0004_resize.JPG
Views: 662
Size:  228.0 KB

Name:  2015-12-08 14-58-48 - 0005_resize.JPG
Views: 664
Size:  197.1 KB
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 03-16-2017 at 07:19 PM.

Haven't had much car time over the past month and a half with Christmas and a vacation as well as some house projects filling the days. This week I was able to get a couple days to work on the Mustang again. I'm slowly emptying the attic of the larger parts, this week the rear bumper cover and Xenon rear skirt were my target. I had pulled a bumper support at PicknPull a while back and had done some work drilling holes in it to reduce weight since nobody was willing to donate an aluminum one to my project. I used a couple of sizes of hole saws to do the work and ended up taking off nearly ten pounds or a third of the weight of the bumper. finally gave it a coat of paint and also cleaned up the bumper mounts and painted them too. The rear cover had gotten a bit distorted over the years as I had not stored it particularly carefully. I had been working at laying it out to let the warping settle out. It seems to have worked, the cover has only a minimum amount of distortion in it now.

I took the metal support pieces out of the cover and cleaned them up then gave them a shot of paint. The cover had a couple old bumper stickers applied to it, so i set to work getting those off. The one that was the most work was a Denver Broncos one, the girl who had the car before had used it to go to university somewhere in the US, possibly Denver. I don't know if this is somehow meaningful given the upcoming Superbowl Game with Denver. If the team is half as tenacious as that sticker, they should do well.

With the cover cleaned up I put it onto the car, then got to fitting up the xenon rear skirt. I am happy with how it looks on the car, it hides my rear hung mufflers nicely. I just need to get some better screws as the only ones I had on hand are hex head sheet metal screws. I'll have to find a source for good quality automotive trim screws as I need them for various other items as well. I also have the Xenon side skirts, I bought a complete kit used a while back, but I'm not really liking them as much. They are a bit beat up and don't seem to fit very well so I'm going look into something different for them.

Getting the bumper and valance in place was the thing that needed to happen so I could finish hanging the mufflers and exhaust system. Since the pipes exit through openings in the valance, I wanted to have it in place properly to line up the pipes. I spent today building exhaust hangers and getting the mufflers fitted correctly. The right one was actually good as I had it, the left one I had to trim the inlet pipe down as well as do a minor trim on the over axle pipe. It too is now fitting correctly, I just need to finish welding up the hangers for it and then getting the four hangers fastened to the car.

Name:  2016-01-27 17.10.35_resize.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  173.8 KBName:  2016-01-27 17.10.44_resize.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  192.2 KBName:  2016-01-27 17.10.58_resize.jpg
Size:  171.3 KB

I'm also toying with building some sort of a spoiler for the rear. I like the three piece spoilers from the pace cars, but of course they are not going to fit on a coupe even if I did find one for a decent price. I'd hate to hack one up trying to fit it to the car, so the best bet seems to be to build something. I had a piece of foam insulation, so I cut a shape from it to see how it might look. Of course I would have it extend full width, but I do like the basic shape. Stay tuned on that.
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 03-16-2017 at 07:20 PM.

FEP Supporter

Looks good Ed! Glad the bumper cover found it's shape again.
    One day I will try to make a spoiler out of the spare three piece I have.
    You said you had a spare trunk lid right?
    Nice work on the splash shields too. That worked out great!
    I'm getting anxious to see it getting done. Painting this summer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

I have lots of work yet to do before paint and I have to find someone to do that too.

I'd like to get as much done as I can myself first, I have lots to do yet just fitting all the panels properly, So far I've just rough assembled it all to get the major mods done and there is still quite a hit list of those. I may have it ready to go to a paint shop later this year if I can keep at it. How long the final body work and paint will take is another matter.

Got a call this morning and my Spectre air cleaner was finally in. I'd ordered it back in early November, but it was on back-order. Thanks to Darran (82GTforME) I scored the two air tubes that fit under the fender to draw the cold air up in trade for my fender liners. The air cleaner has flanges that mounted to the skirts in the engine compartment and flex tubes to connect to the air cleaner. It's kind of like an aftermarket version of the HO dual snorkel air cleaner. I did have to add an extension ring to the base to raise it up high enough off the MSD EFI throttle body. That was a fairly simple job to cut a strip of tin form it into a ring and weld it up. The right tube just barely tucks under the MM strut brace, but it looks pretty good I think. The EFI cam with a nice decal that I applied to the lid. I'm not usually one to put decals on anything other than my toolbox, but I liked the way this one looked. Kind of like those sixties muscle cars. Also grabbed a nice Ford logo wing nut to hold it on.

Name:  2016-02-01 14.05.20_resize.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  211.1 KB
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 03-16-2017 at 07:21 PM.

With that little item looked after, I got back to my original plan for the day, finishing off the mufflers. I got the left muffler finished off and welded up first off.

Name:  2016-02-01 15.02.50_resize.jpg
Size:  150.3 KB
    Name:  2016-02-01 15.03.04_resize.jpg
Size:  97.5 KB
    With that done, I got at fastening up the hangers onto the car and getting the final adjustments done to all the pieces.

Everything for the hangers I made except for the rubbers. I also made up a couple of tips to finish it all off out the back. I have been looking around for some nice chrome or stainless ones, but haven't found anything that would work yet, so i just cut a couple pieces of exhaust tubing, cleaned them up and gave them a coat of header paint. I'll bake the paint on tomorrow so I can get them on. I will still be on the lookout for something else, but these should do fine if I don't find any.

Name:  2016-02-01 16.23.42_resize.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  175.8 KB
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 03-16-2017 at 07:22 PM.

FEP Supporter

Nice work! I'm so jealous of anyone that has a hoist to help them out! Or people that have the skills to fab and create at whim!

That's a pretty cool air cleaner. I've never seen one like that to my knowledge. The factory dual intake on my '82 had small isuue with clearance and the strut tower brace but at least it kind of tweaks downwards. The one you got looks pretty fixed.

I may have to abondon my future idea of dual snorkel on the V6 once we put the future 4-barrel on the car. I think the alternator on the 2.8 will be in the way on the passenger side now that I look at your set-up. I wonder if I can get a cap for inlet tube for now?

Yes the hoist is marvelous to have. I put it in originally as a means of increasing parking space, but it has proven to be a godsend for working on the car too. I can't imagine I would have made progress as rapidly working under the car on jack stands rolling around on a creeper.

The air cleaner is made by Spectre which is a division of K&N filters. The element is basically a K&N one. They have quite a selection of styles to choose from; the dual snorkel ones like this come in several versions with the inlets spaced at different angles. I did some mock ups and measured where the inlets would have to be to figure out the right angle choice. It was a special order item, so if I got it wrong I was SOL. Fortunately it fits. The tubes are larger in size than the stock air cleaners and there is no provision for warm air tubes on it either. I don't have any need for those with EFI and the car is going to be a fair weather driver anyway so no concern with it freezing off. I could have gone with the standard aftermarket type of open filter, but I kind of wanted the cold air intakes.

Well I was going to go to bed... Ended up going over this thread again, way cool build here. I really like your dash, may have to "borrow" some of the things you did.
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

Not much stock stuff left
    347 NA power, CNC ported heads, Extrude honed Trick Flow Intake, Custom Cam
    Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"

Today I worked on the front bumper some more. I'm using a fiberglass support from a newer fox, so had to modify the mounts and make allowances for the marker lights. There is an old thread in the forum in which someone had done this, but the pictures are gone from it, so I'm pretty much figuring it out myself. I used the later mounts, but modified them to drop the support down an inch to be at the right height. I had to also drill them for the through bolts since the newer style use the front flange mounting. Once the bumper was in the correct position, I put the nose back on and marked the location of the marker lights on the bumper. After removing the nose once again, I cut out the fiberglass to let the marker lenses fit in. I still need to make up some brackets to actually mount them.

Old verses new bumper bracket.

I did a bit more trimming after I took this picture so the lens can be slipped in from the back after it's all together.

Last edited by BMW Rider; 02-02-2016 at 09:32 PM.

May be tricky to find a way to mount that light?
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

Not much stock stuff left
    347 NA power, CNC ported heads, Extrude honed Trick Flow Intake, Custom Cam
    Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"

I have a pretty good idea how to do it, the thing is I need to have the front end fully assembled in it's final alignment so I get the lens mounted correctly flush to the opening in the cover. I can picture how the bracket will need to be bent to work, the tricky part will be doing it from the limited space underneath once its assembled.
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 02-03-2016 at 11:18 AM.

I have the air dam mounted onto the fascia now and am reworking the fender extensions to match the modified fenders. I cut the extensions in half, then positioned the pieces in place and scribed the waste to remove. It was a bit odd to realign the two pieces since I had to account for the angle of the newer style fenders. I used a layer of fiberglass to bond the halves together again and have now ground out the joint to fill it in with an epoxy bonding adhesive. After that, they'll need a bit of filler to smooth out the joint.

Name:  2016-02-12 12.03.23_resize.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  20.4 KB

Name:  2016-02-12 12.03.34_resize.jpg
Size:  22.8 KB

Name:  2016-02-12 12.03.44_resize.jpg
Size:  29.5 KB

Name:  2016-02-12 12.04.16_resize.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  24.1 KB
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 03-16-2017 at 07:24 PM.

Just a picture of how they fit on the modified fender.

Name:  2016-02-13 06.40.15-sm.jpg
Size:  132.2 KB
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 03-16-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Wow. It will be interesting to see how easy or difficult it will be, to tell that the fender and extension have been modified, once it's painted. Paint will make it much less apparent.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast