Close

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Some jobs you just have to do when the wife isn't home.

Name:  2014-11-17 08.52.09.jpg
Views: 2055
Size:  223.2 KB

Baking the caliper paint on as recommended in the instructions; 200° for one hour.
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 03-16-2017 at 09:27 PM.

Won't the Thanksgiving turkey taste like paint now?
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Thanksgiving was over a month ago up here so no worries. Should be fine by Christmas.

Oh I didn't see you were in Canada! Yeah, you're good to go haha. Interested to see what the finished car looks like, I'm setting mine up with an eye toward running some autocrosses.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

FEP Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post

Baking the caliper paint on as recommended in the instructions; 200° for one hour.
    I did that once when mine was home. Not too impressed. The second ones I did when she was out!

Wow, just seeing this thread - Great car and great build. - My projects are stalled by life as well but 25yrs gives me hope.
    Keep going - (Wife, Child, House, Job change )(equals no spare cash for projects)
    1984 Mustang LX
    302, Holley 4bbl 600 vac sec
    B&M C4 R servo
    Shorty Headers
    MSD Box and Coil
    Scorpion Roller Rockers 1.6
    Crower Cam 472 112 seperation
    Chetah Shifter
    Performer RPM Intake
    Carter Electronic Fuel Pump
    Accel Eletronic Dizzy

Big things happening this week. The MM Grip box arrived this morning.

I put in two and a half day work getting the Maximum Motorsports Maximum Grip box installed. Made great progress on that, it's about 90% installed. I need to find a couple of items of hardware to finish the job; the steering rack bolts from the car are much larger size than the new K-member and rack use, so I will have to go back to Pick-n-pull to see if I can find a pair that will fit. Also need to find some rear lower shock mount bolts as those seem to be absent from my hardware from the car.

All-in-all, the work went pretty well, had to pull the spindles off to drill out the tie rod holes for the bump steer kit. Not a big deal to pull them off and do the drilling in the mill rather than ruining them trying to hand drill them. Also had a bit of a time getting the panhard bar mount correctly positioned on the frame. I couldn't get it to sit flat to the frame rails and get it to the correct dimension from the differential. In the end I had to do some shimming on the rear edge under the saddles to get it to hang perpendicular and line up. Also as I suspected, the 36mm offset wheels I got will need some spacers and longer studs to clear the coilovers. No too big of a deal considering the price I paid for them.

Name:  2014-11-19 14-49-53 - 0001.JPG
Views: 284
Size:  187.9 KB

Name:  2014-11-20 18-21-46 - 0003.JPG
Size:  184.3 KB

Name:  2014-11-20 18-22-17 - 0005.JPG
Views: 282
Size:  171.6 KB

Name:  2014-11-21 16-45-38 - 0006.JPG
Views: 285
Size:  160.2 KB

Name:  2014-11-21 16-45-52 - 0007.JPG
Views: 637
Size:  179.6 KB

Much of the setup work will still need to be done later on as I will need to have the car mostly completed and at it's final weight to make to correct adjustments to things. I did rough setting on much of it to get it close at least. Of course some things like the K-member are for sure done to final specs. Considering I did not have to do any removal of old parts, this kit would be a significant undertaking on a complete car.

And thank goodness for having a lift to work on with a bridge jack to do the heavy lifting.
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 03-16-2017 at 09:29 PM.

This looks like a great project, glad you managed to stick with the original early four eye frontend too

Pretty cool, making good progress now it seems like. Mine was an 8 year build, seems life as a way of handing out the same stages. Have fun!

From my phone
    1986 Ford Mustang GT-

Not much stock stuff left
    347 NA power, CNC ported heads, Extrude honed Trick Flow Intake, Custom Cam
    Suspension, custom k- member, TQ arm/pan hard rod... Much more
    Restored and ready to race, made to go fast while cornering

1981 Mustang GT-

Old SCCA A-Sedan National Champ car
    In the middle of rebuild

1986 LX Sedan-

Plans to be determined...

"Every day I learn how much I don't know"

I got the correct steering rack bolts and was able to get that mounted up. I also put the steering column back in the car so that it will be steerable for moving it around. Just need a wheel which is on order. Really close to getting it down onto the wheels, I need to find lug nuts still. I got spacers and longer studs, so I need deep lug nuts to clear the studs or open ones so its not an issue. I'd rather use acorn nuts and found what I need online, but am going to see what I can find locally first.

With the suspension work near complete, I was figuring what to get at next. Sooooo, looky what I found in a box in the corner to keep me busy.

Name:  2014-11-27 13-55-30 - 02.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  214.9 KB
    I converted one end of the no longer need rotisserie back into an engine stand and got the engine un-crated and unwrapped. It looks to have fared very well for how long it has sat. I picked up a couple items last week, so get those installed; Edlebrock RPM Air Gap intake and a pair of ford Racing valve covers.

Name:  2014-11-27 15-08-40 - 03.jpg
Size:  176.5 KB

Name:  2014-11-27 15-08-51 - 04.jpg
Size:  187.0 KB

I'm now searching for an oil pan and have narrowed the choices down to two that will suit my need. I do have a used stock double sump pan, but as this is an old style block, it does not have the provision for the rear dipstick and the newer pans don't have the dipstick in the pan like the 351w does. I considered welding in a tube, but I think a larger capacity baffled pan will be better anyway. The timing cover is ready to go on, I just need a gasket for it and a water pump. Engine mounts are coming also so I should be able to get this thing dropped into the car before too long. I'd like to have the flywheel, clutch and bell housing on as well when it goes in. The transmission is waiting for the rebuild kit to go back together so it will go in later. That will then have a lot of the big heavy stuff out of the way in the garage.
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 03-16-2017 at 09:31 PM.

that things is gonna be nice.. good work.

I'm not sure if I under estimated my ambition and determination, or if I over estimated the work to be done, but my goal of having the car as a rolling chassis by late summer or early fall next year has been bumped way ahead. Today she's sitting on all fours.

Name:  2014-12-04 15-30-08 - 08.jpg
Size:  175.9 KB

The last task that I needed to work on to get the wheels on the car was the wheel spacers. I had no luck finding hub-centric spacers to fit but I was able to get plain spacers in the 1/2" I needed. Not wanting to run the wheels lug-centric for autocrossing, I figured I'd just turn out some adapters to convert the spacers to hub-centric. I picked up a piece of 3.5" 6061-T6 aluminum round and made the adapters on my lathe.

Name:  2014-12-04 12-41-00 - 02.jpg
Size:  41.6 KB

Name:  2014-12-04 12-41-13 - 03.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  236.5 KB

Name:  2014-12-04 12-41-45 - 04.jpg
Size:  173.1 KB

This is one of the rear spacers, the fronts had to have a bit different profile to clear the larger front hub and dust cap.

I also got my used T5 put back together this week. I got the Ford Motorsports rebuild kit for it, a new front bearing retainer and a short throw shifter. I also had a bit of fun turning out a shift knob from a piece of aluminum.

Name:  2014-12-04 15-04-10 - 06.jpg
Size:  192.8 KB

As long as all the parts I've got on order get to me in good time, I should be able to have the engine and transmission in the car by early to mid January at the latest. My work time is running shorter this month now with Christmas coming up, and Mid January I'll be turning my attention to some renovations in the house.
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 03-16-2017 at 09:34 PM.

Looks like you are making great progress and the coupe is coming along nicely!

I too have the issue of my completion dates always being a bit optimistic. Oh well it happens and it's a hobby so enjoy the build and don't worry about when you get it all done.

I am not sure if they offer the size you need, but Maximum Motorsports offers some hubcentric wheel spacers if you are interested.

Good Luck!

Trey
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Nice job on the spacers!

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Looks like you are making great progress and the coupe is coming along nicely!

I too have the issue of my completion dates always being a bit optimistic. Oh well it happens and it's a hobby so enjoy the build and don't worry about when you get it all done.

I am not sure if they offer the size you need, but Maximum Motorsports offers some hubcentric wheel spacers if you are interested.

Good Luck!

Trey
    I did look at the MM spacers and yes they do have the 1/2" that I needed, but only to fit the rears. I'd still have had to make the fronts and the cost of these spacers for all four was not much more than the pair from MM. I have the machines to make these kinds of items so I figure I may as well save a bit on the parts and make what I can. I debated making the entire spacers, but in the end, it was more economical for both time and cost to adapt the ready made ones.

I'll be making more things for the car as I progress, I have a plate of aluminum to turn into a brake Master cylinder adapter next as I'm going with manual brakes. Again I looked at the MM conversion kit, but I all ready have the manual brake pedal and just need the mounting plate. Ironically, the car was originally manual brakes equipped and I tossed the original mount as I had wanted to put in power brakes. Now I need that plate back but it's long gone and ready made ones are pricey for what they are.
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 12-04-2014 at 10:18 PM.

Some minor progress this week, but it looks like I won't be getting the engine in now until after Christmas as the Moroso oil pan I ordered is still not in. The rest of the engine is all closed up, just need the pan and pick up tube.

I did get my American Powertrain HydraMax clutch kit installed. No sloppy forks and cables to worry about.

Name:  2014-12-12 13-22-57 - 02.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  49.8 KB

Name:  2014-12-12 13-35-34 - 05.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  186.3 KB
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 03-16-2017 at 09:35 PM.

FEP Member

What a story! Glad to see you can finally tear into it and get it finished up.
    80 capri 2.3 4spd, megasquirt
    91 s10 v8, lowered completely shaved
    96 s10 zq8
    11 GTi
    13 Golf R
    74 karmann ghia

So not much real progress over the past three months, I was preoccupied with a major house reno. That's pretty much doen now and I found a bit of time today to work on the car again. Though I was not working on it, i did manage to collect a couple of items for it. I found a Pace car/ Gt style front bumper cover and air dam with a header panel and lights still in it. The header is not in great shape, so I'll swap it out for the original one from the car which is in good condition.

Name:  2015-04-12 17.36.01.jpg
Size:  206.7 KB

I managed to score one of the fender extensions NOS, but still need to find a right side one to go with this.

On to todays work.

I had the engine mostly ready before Christmas but the oil pan was backordered and didn't come in in time for me to get the motor in the car before the renos started. Thus it's been on the engine stand getting in my way in the garage since then, so I was really keen to get it in the car to clear up some space.

Name:  2015-04-12 16.00.34.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  208.8 KB

The pulleys are from an LTD I think, which used the multi-v belt with a standard rotation Edlebrock water pump. The alternator brackets are custom fabricated - I plan to use a single wire racing type alternator with integral voltage regulator rather than this one. It's just for mock up of the brackets.

Aluminum Flywheel and Spec clutch.

Name:  2015-04-12 16.01.12.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  62.6 KB

It's in.

Name:  2015-04-12 17.26.46.jpg
Size:  70.7 KB

Name:  2015-04-12 17.26.56.jpg
Size:  240.2 KB

The freshly rebuilt T5 was ready to go in. Was an auto trans originally, so had to cut out the hole in the hump for the shifter to the large size. I have the add on raised hump from a PnP car to weld in yet.
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 03-16-2017 at 09:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post

This makes me laugh. My wife bitches a lot about the house smelling like paint, differential fluid, kerosene, etc. She might kill me if I did this though
    1984 Predator GT302 #4S0102 - Complete rotisserie and put back to stock
    1979 Pace Car - 306, H/C/I, T5, 8.8, 3.73 - 288 RWHP
    1993 GT Vert - PROCHARGER P1SC, H/C/I, Built AODE, 3.73 - 421RWHP / 405 RWTQ - SOLD

Surprisingly, there wasn't much smell from that, it's a low temp bake of the dried paint so it wasn't off gassing VOCs thankfully. Plus, I do most of the cooking anyway so she has little concern of the use of the oven. What I do get grief for though is tracking in little metal chips from machining stuff.

A little exhaust work over the last few days. I'm running BBK long tube 1 5/8" headers and the matching X-pipe. Due to the torque arm setup on the rear end I needed to modify the X-pipe to clear the cross member as noted by MM. I got that cut apart and tack welded back together with the longer sections to get the flanges clear of the torque arm cross member.

I have been thinking I'd like to relocate the mufflers to the rear of the car to help with space underneath and to move some weight further aft. Since I'm going with a fuel cell in the trunk, all the space that the original fuel tank occupied back there is free to accommodate the mufflers. Yesterday I scored a pair of 2011 Mustang GT mufflers that were takeoff from an almost new car. I had hoped to get the over axle pipes as well, but he had reused them. He had the complete system he had removed for sale: headers, cats, H-pipe and the mufflers. I was only interested in the mufflers but was hoping to have the over axle pipes to work with as well, so was going to not take it when he offered to let me have the lot for $100. I did a bit of test fitting today, and I should be able to make the mufflers work. In the end, I would like to upgrade to lighter smaller (louder) aftermarket ones, but these will let me get the pipes all sorted at least for minimal investment. I'll try to resell the rest of the items.

Name:  2015-04-20 16.17.18.jpg
Size:  141.1 KB

Name:  2015-04-20 16.17.41.jpg
Size:  148.5 KB

Name:  2015-04-20 16.18.12.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  187.5 KB
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 03-16-2017 at 09:41 PM.

I've been keeping busy over the last week or so making a little progress on the coupe. Made another big shopping trip this week; picked up a rad and hoses, a full set of Autometer gauges, a fuel cell, and a few other little items. I got a starter to put in, but have to take it back as it was boxed wrong and is actually a Chevy starter. Driveshaft and electric cooling fan are on order as are seats, tracks and harnesses and a few other small items.

Got the rad in, but a better top plate for mounting it is one of the items on order.

Name:  2015-05-06 16.13.26.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  220.5 KB

Last week I took the heater assembly all apart and cleaned it up. The foam gaskets were dried and crumbly so I made new ones; had to use a variety of materials to suit as needed. I also pulled all the wiring harnesses and laid them in place. I need to get all the electrical components in, then strip out the harnesses of unneeded wire and rebuilt them with the new stuff.

Name:  2015-05-06 16.15.17.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  198.2 KB

Fuel cell is mounted in the trunk. I had to weld in some reinforcements to the boxed pan I had built earlier to secure the cell and support it better.

Name:  2015-05-06 16.14.02.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  179.3 KB

The battery will also be moving to the trunk and I'm debating what to do with the fuel filler door. One idea I had would be to use it to conceal a battery disconnect switch. Either that or I just cut it out and patch in the hole. We'll see.
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 03-16-2017 at 09:43 PM.

FEP Supporter

Looks great! Where do you plan on doing your auto crossing at?
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Looks great! Where do you plan on doing your auto crossing at?
    Presently the Calgary Sports Car Club runs a series that has races in red Deer and Ft McLeod. I'd like to get out to watch a few times and get a feel for the racing prior to getting the car done, but it's not so easy when its an hour and a half away. I keep hoping that a racing venue will get approved and built nearer to Calgary, but so far all efforts have been blocked by the NIMBY mindset crowd.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast