Close

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

The only thing is the placement of the clamps on the thermostat housing. There was no way to rotate them underneath as there was no clearance. I even had to notch the collar a bit to fit.

Just an early morning glamour shot on my way to work today.

Name:  2018-08-05 07.39.49-resize.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  47.5 KB

My wife and I went out yesterday for a drive (her idea too). Might be the last outing for the year, 1225 Kms on her now. We've had a brutal fall so far so it was nice to get a few warm dry days this week. I have a few tasks to do on it over the winter, but no real issues or problems, it has been running and driving quite solidly.

Name:  P1020099_resize.JPG
Views: 331
Size:  220.9 KB

Name:  P1020097_resize.JPG
Views: 328
Size:  286.2 KB

Name:  P1020089_resize.JPG
Size:  232.9 KB

It looks excellent Ed. It's great you get another chance to enjoy it before winter destroys driving for y'all.

PLUS your wife wants to cruise, you can't beat that.

That is one good looking mustang. Would love a coupe someday. What is the body kit?

Quote Originally Posted by 2nd chance cobra View Post
    That is one good looking mustang. Would love a coupe someday. What is the body kit?
    The front is Pace car, side skirts and rear valance are Cervinis Saleen copies.

Lookin good!

Awesome Looking Mustang . . . . and I Don't Like Bright Red cars.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    My wife and I went out yesterday for a drive (her idea too). Might be the last outing for the year, 1225 Kms on her now. We've had a brutal fall so far so it was nice to get a few warm dry days this week. I have a few tasks to do on it over the winter, but no real issues or problems, it has been running and driving quite solidly.

Name:  P1020099_resize.JPG
Views: 331
Size:  220.9 KB

Name:  P1020097_resize.JPG
Size:  286.2 KB

Name:  P1020089_resize.JPG
Size:  232.9 KB
    How is the quality of fit for the Cervinis side pieces? Are they the hard fiberglass or the softer urethane?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brian.aughe View Post
    How is the quality of fit for the Cervinis side pieces? Are they the hard fiberglass or the softer urethane?

I'm not sure the exact type of material, but they are a fairly rigid plastic. The fit is excellent, they required nothing but paint to be ready to install.

Pretty sure the Cervini kit is a urethane product. Which exact urethane I can say. The parts are very similar to OEM front and rear bumper covers, etc. as fitted to most cars today. Not exactly the same, but very similar and the fit is much better than virtually any fiberglass aero package.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Pretty sure the Cervini kit is a urethane product. Which exact urethane I can say. The parts are very similar to OEM front and rear bumper covers, etc. as fitted to most cars today. Not exactly the same, but very similar and the fit is much better than virtually any fiberglass aero package.
    Thanks. Wasnt sure if they were the rock hard fiberglass ones or not. My other option was to get them straight from Saleen which they still have listed.

Wow, been a bit since I posted anything new with the car. Last year saw a little less driving than 2018, but was happy with how the car ran. I added to the hardware collection at the local show with an award for best club member finished build and best Foxbody in the show. Got to show the car alongside Darrans Tangerine Machine (I voted for him for best Fox). Pretty cool to have the two 79s together showing the extreme difference of the two cars.

Name:  IMG_20190615_080802 - Edited.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  127.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20190615_102930 - Edited.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  164.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20190615_150642 - Edited.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  177.1 KB

I had plans last year to swap the rear gears from the 3.08s to 3.55s for better rpms at highway speeds. The engine likes to run higher revs and with the current gears it lugs in 5th at anything under 110 km/h. I've had the gears and the install kit since befor Christmas 2018, but last winter some family business took up a ton of time and did so again this winter after January. That stuff is all sorted now for the most part and having retired after 30 years of firefighting at the end of January, I have had more time to catch up on things especially with the current stay-at-home situation. So today with some other things finished up I got at tearing it all apart to swap the gears out.

It's been many years since I have done differential work of any sort and I quickly recalled why I always disliked it. It's not overly difficult work, just messy, smelly and strenuous at times. I'll take my time with it and should be able to wrap it up in a couple more days of work. After that, I have a couple other items on my list to get after as well. Hopefully we'll get some more seasonable weather soon so I can actually get the car out before long.

Great job with the build, looks great...TRX wing on a notch is a cool look. And swapping gears is so much fun AFTER all the suspension goodies are installed...any plans for track days this summer? Should be able to stay 6 feet away from most cars!!

First drive of the year is in the books. not too far, just a hour long romp to test the new gears and recalibrate the speedo. Nice with the electronic meter it's easy to do, just have to initiate the calibration mode then drive a measured distance and lock it in.I'm quite pleased with the difference in the gearing, much better revs at in town speeds and fifth gear is actually reasonable to use. Still pulls a lot harder dropping into fourth, but can actually hold a cruising speed below 120 km/h in top gear. Also happy with the gear set up. I am happy to report no musical notes from the gears. The pattern was near perfect on the drive side, but a bit heel heavy on the coast side so I did have some concern with it.

Now I have a few other tasks to work on including improving the seat mounts. The Corbeau brackets are just not working for me to get the correct seating position so I'm going to scrap them and build better ones from scratch.

FEP Supporter

Cool update Ed! Great job on the gear swap! I may need your advice this summer on axles.

I am still waiting for cleaner and dryer roads after winter seemed to have finally ended last week.

FEP Supporter

Double post
    Last edited by 82GTforME; 04-21-2020 at 09:47 PM.

FEP Supporter

Triple posted

So another pic from last year.

Last edited by 82GTforME; 04-21-2020 at 09:48 PM.

Nice recovery on the trippple

Finished the new seat mounts yesterday and am much happier with them over the Corbeau ones. Both seats now have full range of position adjustment on the tracks. Before I could not fully mave them forward due to interference with the console. I had moved the seat location 1" inboard to clear the roll bar, but did not actually need that much room, so these ones only offset them in by 3/4". I was able to get the seats sitting much lower as well and by changing the way the tracks bolt to the frames, it makes the installation a whole ton easier.

All the pieces cut and bent
    Name:  IMG_20200423_104006_resize.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  204.7 KB

Boring out the mounting boss holes after welding
    Name:  IMG_20200423_144553_resize.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  128.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20200423_144557_resize.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  209.0 KB

Passenger side frame bolted in, drivers side is a mirror image of this one for the opposite offset.
    Name:  IMG_20200424_124607_resize.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  228.6 KB

For comparrison, this is the Corbeau frame which is a rather crude piece.
    Name:  IMG_20200423_151031_resize.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  140.4 KB
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 04-25-2020 at 01:43 PM.

UPS dropped off a package just as I finished the seats off, so I got busy with this installation next. I had the hood support kit installed to get rid of the prop rod, but the No Drill kit which I had used was not great. They barely supported the hood open, I think largely due to the added load of the Pace Car scoop. Then this spring I found that the cylinders had leaked down and would not hold the hood open at all. I decided to try the other style kit and ordered it up from LMR. It does require drilling and riveting the mounts for the cylinders, but that was easy to do carefully and the result is way better, they hold the hood up much more solidly.

Name:  IMG_20200424_145127_resize.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  149.0 KB

Then with that taken care of, the last maintenance item was to freshen the brake and clutch fluids. I do have one more ongoing project to finish. It's a bit of an experiment. If it works out It'll be kinda cool, if not, well no harm done as it will be entirely reversible. I've got it about 80% done now, just need get do the last main part finished and installed and the final wiring done. Stay tuned.

OK, I finished the experimental project today and am happy to report it is a success, so now I feel I can share what I've been up to. Quite a while back, I ran across a thread over on CornerCarvers which was a discussion about electric power steering. The Thread started with talk of electrically run hydraulic systems, but quickly turned to modern EPAS steering systems which are common in almost all cars now and the use of such a system as a retrofit. There are a few choices that have been used as adaptationbs, but the best was apparently from Toyata cars, specifically the Prius, Yaris or Corolla. These systems, though they use engine and vehicle speed inputs to vary the level of assist, will function in a failsafe mode with nothing more than an ignition power source. In this mode, the assist is a constant level and serves suitably to retrofit.

So, I started the work of gathering the bits and pieces about two years ago. I found a steering column from another Mustang as I did not want to chop up my own in case I needed to undo the experiment. I got the powered column and control module from a Toyata Yaris to become my new system. With the main components in hand, I went to work creating my Frankencolumn. I determined that the EPAS motor unit woul best fit in between the Mustang column mounting points and set to cutting apart the two columns to fit them together. I had to make an adapter block to mount to the lower end of the motor and then fastened the lower column mount brace onto that. There was a lot of measuring, machining, fitting and some welding involved, but I successfully fitted the two together into a workable column.

Name:  2018-12-05 11.15.59_resize.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  129.8 KB

Then that's where its been at for the past year and a half as other things took priority (and maybe a bit of unease with the concept). But with the other big tasks ticked off the car's todo list, I figured I'd finish this up and see how it worked. As the steering shaft is now in sections, part of the need was to have a support bearing at the firewall. I had the pillowblock style bearing and just needed to make the mounting plate which takes the place of the rubber boot at the firewall. I had made a new bracket for the control module and found a spot to tuck it up under the dash, ran the battery power and grounds to it and the ignition trigger source. Then finally today was the actual column swap. Happily the new Frankencolumn went in with minimal trouble and the final connections made.

Name:  IMG_20200427_132027.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  243.3 KB

Then came the moment of truth. would it work as hoped, would the assist be enough? Too much? the inital static feel was obviously way lighter effort to turn the wheel, so out for a quick test drive. Manouvering out of the garage was a breeze and once under way, the steering effort was much lighter, but not overly assited. In fact the feel is quite good at all speeds. So I now have power steering with minmal added weight, no leaky hydraulics or noisy pump and far less parisitic power loss.

I will say that this is an above average level fabricating task and quality wormanship is obviously critical. Secondly, there is no longer a collapsable feature in the column which is most deffinitly not a good idea for most street cars. I have a full cage and fixed back seats with harnesses to reduce that risk.

FEP Senior Member

Great work Ed.

Where did you get the air cleaner for your car? My dual snorkel kit touches the hood slightly and have been looking for a suitable alternative.

The air cleaner is made by Spectre. They have several variations depending on the angle you want the inlets to be at. I ordered it in from a local shop, but Summit carries them too.

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast