I was a little bored yesterday afternoon and had recently been looking at LED bulbs for the tail and signal lights. I decided to have a look at my tail lights to see what might fit and pulled them down from the attic. I had spent some time on them way back cleaning them up and such, but on second look, I decided that I could do better. I could see that the lens on one was not well sealed anymore and there was still some dust inside them so off came the lenses for a thorough cleaning. I cleaned out all the old sealant and scrubbed the insides of the lenses and housing clean. Now of course the silver reflective paint looked a little dull, so I went off and got some chrome metallic paint to respray them. a little masking and a quick spray has them much better now.

I left that to cure overnight and today went at reinstalling the lenses with new butyl sealant which Darran (82GTforME) had generously given me a bunch of a while back. The lenses are now reset and better sealed as well as being a lot cleaner inside. I used some more of the butyl to secure the gaskets onto the rear of the housings and now the tail lights are ready for installation when the car comes home.

Name:  2017-10-16 11.26.10_resize.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  177.1 KB

Name:  2017-10-16 11.42.02_resize.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  180.8 KB

there is one item though that I might need which is the rubber strip that fits onto the outer end of the light. I only have one. I'm not sure if this piece is a big deal or not, I can't seem to find any reference to it anywhere else and no apparent source for replacements. Any enlightenment on this or if someone has one to sell would be appreciated.

Name:  2017-10-16 11.38.24_resize.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  80.6 KB

Name:  2017-10-16 11.38.59_resize.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  142.9 KB