Close

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    FEP Supporter

Looks good Ed. Great idea covering up the fuel door. I wonder how many would notice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

November! Ok, I guess I can wait..... I like the smoothing of the gas door.

Very cool build.

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Looks good Ed. Great idea covering up the fuel door. I wonder how many would notice?
    Well certainly any true Fox Mustang fan. The real test will be to see who can spot the front fender mod.

Little progress to report other than a few bits and pieces getting cleaned and ready for re-installation. I cleaned up the quarter glass last week, the side moldings are all ready too, but I am now thinking of just getting the reproduction set. The used ones still need some repair and prep work and paint, so the repops might just be easier.

I dug out the box with all the headlight parts and started cleaning and checking them. I have come to the conclusion that the headlights I have, which are all matching, in good condition and working, are quite probably the factory originals. I'm now going to put them away and get some new halogens or maybe LEDs if I find some I like for a price I feel worthwhile. I got the headlight buckets and trim rings all cleaned up now and have all new adjusters and springs to put them back in with.

Name:  2017-06-27 07.54.17_resize.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  70.7 KB

The front side marker lights were in the same box so I got them out too to clean up. The lenses are really nice, the colour is good and they are clear and clean. The only trouble was one of the mounting tabs was broken off and missing. I have a second pair of lenses from the PC front end, but they are not in good condition being faded and discoloured. I could have just went and got a set of new ones, but I figured might as well see if I could fix this one. I found a bit of donor plastic and shaped the tab out of it. I cleaned up the location on the lens backing and glued the new tab on with some Weldon 16 cement. The tab seems to be solid and strong and should work just fine.

Name:  2017-06-27 07.53.43_resize.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  60.0 KB

Name:  2017-06-27 07.54.00_resize.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  47.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BMW Rider View Post
    Well certainly any true Fox Mustang fan. The real test will be to see who can spot the front fender mod.
    I CAN!! I CAN!!

Headlight buckets look good.

As for headlights, I like this style

http://www.ebay.com/itm/165mm-H4656-...53.m1438.l2649

Name:  Headlights.jpg
Size:  145.3 KB

Those with a quality set of LED bulbs should work really well. That is my plan with the 82 GT.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...ype,H4,1,4932:
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Name:  1498610363985219325536.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  64.5 KB I did this with one with pba . I'm convinced it's nearly the greatest thing ever. Is that the same 2p red as mine? It looks like it's going 60mph sitting in the drive way

Thanks Trey for the links on those lights. That is one way I hadn't considered going for LEDs. I was looking at complete units and the ones that look decent are very expensive; like around $250-300 per light. The cheaper ones I've found have the multiple rows of individual LEDs and just don't look right.

The red I'm using is actually 2011 and up Mustang Race Red.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I CAN!! I CAN!!

Headlight buckets look good.

As for headlights, I like this style

http://www.ebay.com/itm/165mm-H4656-...53.m1438.l2649

Name:  Headlights.jpg
Size:  145.3 KB

Those with a quality set of LED bulbs should work really well. That is my plan with the 82 GT.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/...ype,H4,1,4932:
    Trey,
    Are those like most of the conversion housing and require major surgery on the buckets? I am looking for some that won't require any or much cutting to get them in.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    Trey,
    Are those like most of the conversion housing and require major surgery on the buckets? I am looking for some that won't require any or much cutting to get them in.
    I honestly don't know about the ones I linked to above. I used some different lights on my PC that did require cutting out the hole in the back of the metal bucket. I wouldn't call it MAJOR surgery, but surgery none the less. Call it an "In Office" procedure . . . I believe the ones above are thinner/shorter on the backside than the other units I used and therefore should require less and maybe no modifications. Either way, you can't tell or see any of it once everything is installed in the car, so it doesn't really bug me that much. The difference in light quality and night time visibility is well worth the added work.

My 79 PC actually has the lights with a cheap Harbor Freight HID conversion bulb setup in it and they are AWESOME! I know technically not have a calibrated HID setup is supposed to be bad, but mine works really well. I have the light adjusted just right so that no one is blinded by the lights, but yet they really light up the road in front of me. They work so well that I never use the High Beam as the HID gives better lighting. The new LED bulbs are so good that I expect similar if not better results with that in my 82 GT.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

All right. Summer is behind us now and the work is kicking off again. I was up to the paint shop yesterday and he has started blocking down the body doors and fenders in prep for the final primer coat. After that a last blocking and paint should happen in a few weeks. Then the reassembly into something resembling a car.

On the home front, I've been getting more parts cleaned up and ready as well as scrounging some odds and ends. All the door internals are cleaned and ready for reassembly as is the glass. I decided to go with OpticArmor Poly carbonate windshield and Rear window to shave some weight. I got the rear in a tinted shade and will match the quarter glass to that. These are drop-in-black-out items that will install with polyurethane just like regular glass and allow the original trim to fit as normal.

The next item I worked on was a console that I scooped from PnP last month. It was in really nice condition aside from some nasty sun yellowing and several years of filth. I cleaned it up and worked it over to suit what I want. That is, I made some aluminum covers to blank out the display and ash tray, made an aluminum armrest cover and a cover panel to close in the rear ashtray hole. I had ordered the Redline leather shifter and brake handle boots a while ago so the console made it nicer to use them without a ton of fabricating. I do need to get the correct insert for the shifter as the console was from an auto car. I didn't really want the faux leather texture on the console so I sanded the entire console smooth, this also helped to clean up the plastic better for paint. I sprayed it black and have to to say it looks sharp. I will build a piece of aluminum to mate the console to the dash after I get it in the car.

Name:  2017-09-26 18.50.21_resize.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  99.5 KB

Name:  2017-09-26 18.50.28_resize.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  82.6 KB

Name:  2017-09-26 18.50.37_resize.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  119.5 KB

Name:  2017-09-26 18.50.46_resize.jpg
Views: 396
Size:  90.7 KB

Name:  2017-09-26 18.54.40_resize.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  81.5 KB

I finally made a commitment on the new tires. Having sold the set that I had previously due to the fronts just being wider than practical and not being able to make those tires and wheels work, I needed to get tires for the upcoming return from the paint shop in a month or so. I had chosen the wheels and had them some time ago, but went round and round on tire size and choice. With much reading and looking at so many tires and sizes and much calculating clearances, I finally reached a decision. I was first leaning towards 245/40-17 on the front and 275/40-17 for the rears, but decided going down a size on each would be a better fit on the rims with less sidewall bulge which will tighten the handling. The slight trade off in traction from the narrower versus wider tires should be more than offset by the firmer sidewalls.

So what I ended up choosing is the gold standard in extreme performance tires, Bridgestone Potenza RE-71Rs in 235/45-17 front and 255/40-17 on the rear.

Name:  2017-10-05 17.58.47_resize.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  144.8 KB

Name:  2017-10-05 17.58.58_resize.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  200.4 KB

Name:  2017-10-05 17.59.07_resize.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  139.5 KB

Sweet!

I am sure they will look great once you get the car back from paint!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

There is about to be more redness. This is the final sealer coat, colour will be going on shortly followed by a clearcoat.

Name:  PART_1507823216481_IMG_6863.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  141.0 KB

Congrats!

Can't wait to see it in full color!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Woohoo!!

Red October is here.

Name:  IMG_7869_resize (2).jpg
Views: 329
Size:  140.6 KBName:  IMG_7869_resize (3).jpg
Views: 326
Size:  139.9 KBName:  IMG_7869_resize (4).jpg
Views: 323
Size:  160.1 KBName:  IMG_7869_resize (5).jpg
Views: 316
Size:  163.7 KB

Red is making sure it gets noticed! Looks great!

I'll just cruise on by in my less attention grabbing colors after the cops have you pulled over, ok?

Actually, seeing this is making me at least double check my idea about colors on my Saleen clone. Pretty sure I will stick with my initial idea.....

It's Race Red, so it'll be faster than the cops.

I plea the 5th........ and good luck.

FEP Supporter

That looks sooo good Ed!!

Looking at the shop's masking techniques, I can clearly see my skills are lacking in that area!

So when is it getting put together and delivered back to your garage? Before the snow flies soon?

I am always puzzled when I see cars that aren't together when the final coats are shot. We would always shoot inner structures and jams then assemble and do final prep and lay down the final color.

Feequently we were shooting metallics which were notoriously hard to make look the same panel to panel unless they were shot that way.

Also it avoided the risk of damaging any painted parts during assembly. Afaik that's mostly how the cars were originally built too. That's why a lot of bolts are body color and there is primer/sealer or even bare metal under them.

I generally spray all my cars just like this so that I can jamb, edge, etc. all at the same time without any tape lines. Solid colors normally don't have any color matching issues. Metallic, pearls, and tri-coat paints are a different story.

Just like the 71 Mustang I am spraying. We sprayed everything apart. Then it will be reassembled, mask the door jambs, etc. and spray another 2 coats of color to blend the metallic panel to panel. Also always spray your parts in the same orientation as they are on the car.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    That looks sooo good Ed!!

Looking at the shop's masking techniques, I can clearly see my skills are lacking in that area!

So when is it getting put together and delivered back to your garage? Before the snow flies soon?
    Quote Originally Posted by erratic50
    I am always puzzled when I see cars that aren't together when the final coats are shot. We would always shoot inner structures and jams then assemble and do final prep and lay down the final color.

Feequently we were shooting metallics which were notoriously hard to make look the same panel to panel unless they were shot that way.

Also it avoided the risk of damaging any painted parts during assembly. Afaik that's mostly how the cars were originally built too. That's why a lot of bolts are body color and there is primer/sealer or even bare metal under them.
    Robert, my paint and body guy is a true master with this work. I too am amazed at the stuff he does. He points out little things that totally miss my eye and the standard he works to is perfection.

We are still looking to have it finished up there and delivered back in mid November. He will start reassembling some pieces next week so we can lay out the stripes. Only the doors and fenders are left to be painted and once done they will go straight onto the car. All of the black will get done after the stripes, he will give the areas to be blacked out a light scuff for adhesion, then spray the black. I see it is more common to do the black first then mask for the colour, but his reasoning is the colour coat and clear coat will be better if continuous with the black trim paint over it. As for painting everything apart, it is a much better way to get full coverage of the parts, as for reassembly, he said he uses a ton of masking tape to reduce the chance of chips or scratches. Yes, the factory did paint them mostly together which is why they rust in a lot of the places they do also due to the bare metal under some of the parts.

The other big reason to paint the red first and then the black is that red generally doesn't cover well and painting red over black is almost always a bad idea.

I am sure you can't wait to see it all together and ready to tear up some corners.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Bam that's a high impact red. I like it.

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast