Close

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

I have been making slow progress on the interior, lots of trial and error and a bit of colour commentary along the way. I was struggling with the side window openings and with the headliner trim. I didn't like my first effort on those and decided to go with factory trim for the headliner and C pillars. I salvaged some pieces from PnP out of a couple of cars, both newer aero noses. It took quite a bit of trimming fitting and working, but I managed to get a decent looking end result. I did the drivers side first which took me several hours to figure out. The passenger side went much quicker using the templates all ready made and no more trial and error. I have the rear seat delete panel all finished up now too and fastened in properly.

Name:  2018-01-24 16.09.45_resize.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  136.6 KB

Name:  2018-01-24 16.09.56_resize.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  115.9 KB

Name:  2018-01-24 16.10.39_resize.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  99.9 KB

Name:  2018-01-24 16.10.54_resize.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  65.8 KB

I will be removing the plastic pieces to paint them black, I also want to add some rubber edging in a few spots to clean up the looks. Next up will be kick panels and the doors.

Looks awesome. It must have been a PITA to work around the roll bar....
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Quote Originally Posted by JTurbo View Post
    Looks awesome. It must have been a PITA to work around the roll bar....
    Yes it is. I felt like a kid climbing on a jungle gym except I'm no kid. Going to have a dose of medication (Scotch) to help my sore muscles

FEP Supporter

Very impressive work Ed! I'd like to see some of your sheet metal tools one day. I never really paid attention because I was gawking at all the other cool stuff

What did you end up using for the headliner board? Is it aluminum also?

dup - deleted
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Quote Originally Posted by 82GTforME View Post
    Very impressive work Ed! I'd like to see some of your sheet metal tools one day. I never really paid attention because I was gawking at all the other cool stuff

What did you end up using for the headliner board? Is it aluminum also?
    I've added a couple items to my selection lately. I bought a set of shrinker/stretcher dies from PA a while back. That made forming the curved pieces for the back much easier and neater. Most recently I bought an 8" throat shear to make cutting much easier than with snips. It works very well for straight cuts giving a super clean edge. Lastly, I had a bead roller all ready, but did a bit of work on it to stiffen it up and added a motor and foot control to allow two hands for guiding the sheet. Trying to use it one handed while cranking it manually was less than good for getting nice straight beads. Finally, I had a home made brake that I built a long time ago that will bend up to 48" in lighter gauge materials like the aluminum.

For the headliner I used a product called Thermopan. Its actually a HVAC duct liner material. Basically its a corrugated cardboard material with a foil covering on both sides.

Worked on the door panels today. Drivers side is ready to fasten in place, Passenger side.... well, have to get a new piece of aluminum. The die on my bead roller loosened up as i was doing the panel and ruined it.

Being a 79, the door handles and locks are not like all the other years. The handles posed no issue but the lock rod did. They normally exit out the front edge of the armrest, but I am not using arm rests so had to figure out some way to make them work. I rebent the rods and made a support bracket to go on the door where the rod now goes. I will make a nice aluminum trim plate to fit on the door panel to clean it up. The lock will work by simply sliding the button forward and back. I used some Thermo Pan panels I had to make a sealer panel for the doors. The pull handles were donated by a couple of Dodge trucks at PnP. I determined the mounting locations and used some rivnuts to screw them into.

Name:  2018-01-30 11.13.30_resize.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  128.7 KB

Name:  2018-01-30 11.13.55_resize.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  173.4 KB

Name:  2018-01-30 16.18.13_resize.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  159.9 KB

Name:  2018-01-30 16.18.21_resize.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  151.5 KB
    Last edited by BMW Rider; 01-30-2018 at 07:45 PM.

Name:  2018-01-31 15.12.09-resize.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  146.7 KB

Pretty happy with this side. Also made the kick panels and got the dead pedal installed. All the headliner trim pieces are painted now and will be ready to go back in once fully cured.

Looks good, but I wonder if it is any lighter than a factory plastic door panel?

Jess
    Previously owned;
    1979 Mustang, v6 swapped to EFI 393, custom installed m122 blower, 4r70w trans, Megasquirt II, T-top swaped in.
    1990 Mustang, 545 BBF, C-4 with brake, ladder bars.
    1983 Mustang, 1984 SVO Mustang
    1984 Mustang convertible, v6 swapped to 351
    1986 Mustang GT, 1989 Mustang GT convertible
    1992 Mustang coupe, 4 swapped to 302

It's become as much about the look as the weight. The aluminum is pretty light though, but if it was only about weight then the best would be nothing.

Passenger door panel V2.0 turned out better.

Name:  2018-02-06 16.21.55_resize.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  168.0 KB

I decided to make a park brake handle to match the shifter knob I made some time ago.

Name:  2018-02-06 12.07.58_resize.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  87.6 KB

And a small panel to block off the side of the trunk. The other side is blocked all ready by the battery, so nothing needed there. This is mostly to keep from having anything drop down into the bottom of the quarter panel.

Name:  2018-02-06 12.07.40_resize.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  122.3 KB

Today's work was to deal with a couple of oil leaks. First the easy on which was the left axle seal. The used axle I got had a small ding in the outer end of the tube and it seems even though I cleaned it up, there was just enough of a nick to let the oil wick past the outside of the seal. Of course the nick was at the bottom of the tube. So I pulled the axle and put in a new seal using some sealer around the outside to close up the gaps. Having anticipated this job I had picked up a TrickFlow cover with the bearing supports to put on. I decided I'd give it a coat of paint too.

Name:  2018-02-07 12.08.48.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  227.8 KB

Next was to go after the leaking oil pan again. Last time I wrestled the pan out by jacking the engine. However, it was still pretty tight and was hard to get around the back side against the separator plate. So I decided I needed to get better access this time to really make sure I was getting it sealed. I debated whether to pull the engine or drop the transmission out to make room. I decided to go for the transmission. With it out it gives plenty of room for the pan to come out now. I have used the one piece gaskets both times on this and decided this time I'll go old school with the four piece. The one piece ones just don't seem to work with the Moroso pan I have. I managed to get the transmission out this afternoon, and it seems the pan is the source of the leak as it is the only place there is oil showing. I'll finish it up over the next couple days hopefully.

Its all back together now and so far no leaks.

With that nagging task over with, I was able to get the shifter boot installed finally and the console. Last job was to make up the transition piec from the dash to the console. And with that, the interior is pretty much finished.

Name:  2018-02-09 17.04.58_resize.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  174.3 KB

Last item to do inside is figure out where (and how) to mount the fire extinguisher.

Looks awesome......
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Got her a nice cozy cover to keep the nasty dust off. I ordered it custom fitted from CoverCraft and they made it for the car. I wasn't sure if a standard coupe cover would fit with the front air dam and the spoiler, so I contacted them to ask about it. They had me fill in a measurement sheet for the spoiler and dam and then made the cover to fit. And it does

Name:  2018-02-13 15.04.46-resize.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  151.6 KB

This should keep it clean in the garage.

Ed,

You may have covered this in the thread already, but I'm too lazy to read through 200 posts

Why did the rollbar end up with two harness bars?
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

When the cage was welded in originally, the bar was set to the specs given with the drawings. It turned out to be too low and the angle on the shoulder straps was too steep, so I added the upper bar at the correct height and just left the first one in place rather than try to cut it out and clean up the welds after.

Gives it that real Jungle Gym look for the kids!
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    Gives it that real Jungle Gym look for the kids!
    And for the guy who had to climb around it putting in the interior.

One small job done on the car yesterday; finally got the stainless tips welded onto the mufflers followed by a fresh coat of paint on them.

Name:  2018-02-16 11.29.20_resize.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  141.1 KB

Name:  2018-02-16 11.29.42_resize.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  143.4 KB

The main thing I've worked on this week was getting some tools built to do the wheel alignment.

Caster Camber gauge.

Name:  2018-02-16 11.27.32_resize.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  94.3 KB

Bumpsteer gauge

Name:  2018-02-16 11.28.05_resize.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  67.9 KB

and some turn plates

Name:  2018-02-16 11.28.23_resize.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  91.1 KB

Just a few little details looked after and a handful of minor snags and jobs sorted over the past weeks.

The Longacre rearview mirror I got some time ago is in. I ended up having to order the longer mounts for it to get it positioned better and then made some drop arms to finish it up. I had a small Plexiglas sun visor to use also and originally had it mounted to the bar with individual rings. I was not thrilled at having a sharp metal bracket directly in front of my head, so I instead made a rod to mount it off the mirror arm. Much tidier and safer this way. All that was left then was to attach the roll bar padding.

Name:  2018-03-01 12.41.29_resize.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  158.4 KB

The rings I had for the visor were then re-purposed to serve as extinguisher mounts. I chose to locate it on the harness bar between the seats. It can be reached from either seat while belted in with a bit of twisting and effort and is easily reached with the belts released.

Name:  2018-03-01 12.41.39_resize.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  165.8 KB

Great work! I have considered making my camber gauge and bump steer gauge, but I seem to be too busy with other things. I will probably just finally pull the trigger and buy the ones I have been looking at for too long.

Interested in see your ides on the turn plates as that is something that I know I won't spend the $$ on for pre made units.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Gorgeous car! Well done!
    Current

1980 Mustang Coupe 302-AOD
    1986 Mark VII

Past

1986 Thunderbird Elan 5.0
    1980 Mustang Coupe 2.3-Auto

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Great work! I have considered making my camber gauge and bump steer gauge, but I seem to be too busy with other things. I will probably just finally pull the trigger and buy the ones I have been looking at for too long.

Interested in see your ides on the turn plates as that is something that I know I won't spend the $$ on for pre made units.
    The turn plates are just a 1/4" steel plate with a wood base and a sheet of HDPE plastic to make it slippery. Since the pictures were taken, I fixed the plates with a center pivot and made markings on the plate for the angles. Of all the alignment tools, the steel plates were the only item I had to buy, everything else was materials and items on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by RM80NOTCH View Post
    Gorgeous car! Well done!
    Thanks.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast