Close

Thread: Strut kits

Default Strut kits

I recently bought an 80 Fairmont w/ 3.3 L engine. I have been looking around but had no luck in finding a "strut kit assembly" for this car.

Any help appreciated if you know if they make these or I have to do a standard strut install.

I am confused. You just need new front struts?

I too am confused. What else are you looking to be assembled to the strut? Changing the upper mount is easy.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

I think the OP is thinking about the quick struts that are available with the springs installed. These foxes are not like that.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Mike1157

How are they not? I have a stock replacement KYB for a 78 strut w/ a UPR C/O kit slid over it.

I didn't take it as he was looking for a coil over kit but maybe?
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1157 View Post
    How are they not? I have a stock replacement KYB for a 78 strut w/ a UPR C/O kit slid over it.
    I think you answered your own question by saying you have an aftermarket coil-over conversion kit.

Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Sorry for the confusion but yes I am looking for the coil over kit as they have them for newer vehicles. I have not found any for my car yet.

Maximum Motorsports and other aftermarket suppliers offer those if you're looking to change the original design.

QA1 and some others, but they aren't cheap. When you say "like is available on newer cars" are you talking about a "Quick Strut" that comes with the spring mounted to it, like for a Taurus or something?

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/e-Catalog/171615

Because that's a very different thing than a coilover.

http://www.qa1.net/suspension/street...l-strut-system

The fox body uses what's called a "modified macpherson strut" where the strut is separate from the spring. So you're not going to find a standard Monoe strut/spring set. A coilover is more of an expensive premium performance upgrade that moves the spring from it's original location onto the shock.

Sorry for the confusion, but you're not giving us a lot to work with, so we can't really tell what you do or don't know about your front suspension. Just thought I'd make sure we're all on the same page though.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

That's why I said change the original design, I'm still not sure either.

Thanks ZephyrEFI for you showed me what I am looking for.

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/e-Catalog/171615 , I've been out of the country and not worked on cars for about 15-20 years so

I was unsure of the correct terminology.

That's not how these fox cars work, the spring does not mount on the struts in these cars. All you need is the strut.

Yeah, that's for a Taurus. I just used it as an example. Here's a picture of my front suspension.

Name:  Front 3a.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  71.0 KB

The strut is separate from the spring. A Quick Strut would be impossible for a Fox.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

ZephyrEFI , so it's normal for the spring to be bowed out/in? I am replacing struts in my Fairmont but when I was underneath the car (on ramps) the spring was a bit bowed in and I don't need the extra labor charges if springs are weak.

Thanks for taking the time to snap a pic & elaborate for me in layman terms.

No problem. If you look at the top and bottom spring seats, they are at different angles, so the spring will bow a bit. The pic is actually my old suspension where the springs were way too tall, so the bow out is pretty exaggerated. Replacing those springs SUCKS, so don't do it if you don't have to.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Getting the struts & springs done $30/side by a co-worker. I don't have a garage to work out of. Thanks to everyone for your input and advice.

Wow, that's a screamin' deal! Hopefully he knows what he's in for, haha.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST