Close

FEP Member

Default 92 2.3 cylinder head questions.

I'm going to buy a 92 2.3 to put in my 80 capri. I want to stick with the distributor, and only use 4 plugs. Does anyone make a hex or Allen head plug for a spark plug hole? I tried googling for them but I didn't have any luck. I know I could just out spark plugs in the holes, but I want it to look better than that.

I'm also on the fence about the head, I could use the 92 with a stock roller cam, or I could use my 80 with a comp cams flat tappet cam. What do you think would be more beneficial? The car is a daily driver, it's got efi with megasquirt. Mileage is my main concern, but I could sacrifice it a little to gain some power.

Mike1157

Well you wont gain power by sacrificing one of the plugs that was put in the head by Ford. If you have a MS, why not just make it control a EDIS system and **** can the distributor? A roller cam is also a better solution than a flat tappet cam anyday of the week, the more agressive opening/closing ramps lend themselves to making more power, and is way more tolerant of the lack of zinc in the new motor oils.

FEP Member

Id just like to find a allen head pipe plug to plug the other 4 holes in the cylinder head, but Ive had no luck. I would ditch the distributor, but the engine I am buying doesnt have any coil packs or control box, I think it still has the crank sensor. I have my MS setup to use with the TFI, so for now Ill stick with it, but someday Id like to convert it to edis.

Quote Originally Posted by tonyorlo View Post
    Id just like to find a allen head pipe plug to plug the other 4 holes in the cylinder head, but Ive had no luck. I would ditch the distributor, but the engine I am buying doesnt have any coil packs or control box, I think it still has the crank sensor. I have my MS setup to use with the TFI, so for now Ill stick with it, but someday Id like to convert it to edis.
    It is not a pipe plug.

The thread is 14 x 1.25 straight.

You will have to make them. Why not take the old plugs , knock the porcelain out, cut them flush with the chamber and weld them shut.

Should not take too long.

Steve
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

I found this plug (the shiny thing in the exhaust manifold) at Lowe's.

You could take a spark plug with you to match up the threads. If you can't find any that match the threads, do like Steve suggested or leave the unused plugs installed.
    Craig "IDMooseMan" Peters
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    2.3L Horsepower Potential Thread
    Buyer/Seller Experience Link
    Build Thread
    The Four-Eyed Game - 2018 Version

FEP Member

Yeah Ill most likley do what steve mentioned and cut a old plug and weld it up.

I have another question thats not cylinder head related. What is the difference between a 4 speed and 5 speed flywheel?

Depends on what four speed. Different four speeds had different thickness flywheels.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

FEP Member

Oh, well a new flywheel for a early 90s 2.3 is $55, a flywheel for my 80 is $170. I figured there is a difference, I just wasn't sure. Im planning on buying a new clutch, I could buy one for the same year(92) as the flywheel is for. Would that work?

You need to match the flywheel thickness to the transmission you're using. I'm not 100% sure about this, but if the different 4-spd trannys had different flywheel thicknesses, it sounds like there are clearance issues that need to be verified. If the wrong thickness flywheel is used (too thin or too thick), you might have engagement/disengagement issues.
    1979 Mustang Ghia Notchback, 2.3L, Holley 5200, 4-spd, 3.08:1 7.5" diff, A/C, PS, PB, AM/FM/8-Track, Sunroof, Rear Defroster
    USAF SSgt 63170 1983 - 1992; Co-Founder, Vice President, Omega Delta Sigma, ID-A 2/2015
    To those that serve and have served, "Thank You", to those that haven't, "You're Welcome"
    Build Thread

Yep. I discovered that the hard way in the past. The RAD has a much thinner flywheel than the cast iron four speed.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

FEP Member

Well my trans is aluminum if that matters. I guess to save myself headache and troubles I should just have my stock flywheel turned down and buy the clutch for my 80.

Does the bell housing bolt to it from inside the housing or outside?

If the transmission tag is still attached, that would give you some solid information about which transmission you have. I have a 1979 Service Manual that I can look up the transmission code from your door tag. It's worth a shot. Have you posted a picture of your door tag, VIN, etc. for FoxChassis to decode?
    Build Thread

FEP Member

It bolts through the inside of the bell housing. The cars build date is 08/80. Maybe it does have an iron transmission, the bell housing is aluminum though.

I've been comparing rebuild kits, I think I've decided on the sealed power kit from autozone. I plan to do a stock rebuild.

FEP Member

Sorry Craig I didn't see your post. Yeah I will take a pic of the door tag.

FEP Member

Can you tell me my original tire size with that?

Not from that information. You should have a sticker on the passenger-side door frame. I tried to attach a picture of the sticker, but the site said it exceeds the character limit.

Your transmission code (TR - lower-right corner) is "7" with four letters following. I have the same "7" on mine and have been told that is a "Hummer" 4-speed transmission. To further help with identification...Is your transmission an overdrive ("OD" on the shifter knob) or not? If not, you'll have the "1 2 3 4" on the shifter knob.

If you have the "OD" you can verify it's a "Single Rail Overdrive (SROD)" by the "RUG" on the transmission tag in the upper-left corner. Since you have the "7" on the door sticker, most likely you have a RAD or 79ET 4-speed transmission. "RAD" or "79ET" will be on the transmission tag in the upper-left corner.
    Build Thread

Inside the bell means your car has that thick flywheel because it has that hummer transmission I think they call it.

Hummer is what I've been told mine is called. Can't find any mention of "Hummer" in my service manual, so I'll have to verify what I have when I get a chance, time, and money to pull the motor and transmission.
    Build Thread