Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thanks! you mention machining for new valve seals in your earlier post, is that a standard thing or can regular valve seals just be replaced?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

FEP Power Member Jerry peachuer's Avatar

Depends on the i.d of your New spring I have a double spring and mine couldn't use a umbrella seal I had to use a poly seal so the valve spring sits on the seat of the head and there needs to be clearance for the seal and I'd of the spring

Not sure the inside diameter of the factory spring or the ourtside diameter of the umbrella seal off hand

Oh, okay. Anyone know if Alex's springs require this? I'm going to guess not, but probably better to ask.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Alex's has 2 or 3 kinds of springs for these heads, and they vary by what some different cam specs require.

I got the most basic set, and they all cleared the Motorcraft valve seals, by just as much as the original springs. Some of the stronger sets of springs might have the inner damper-spring, requiring greater clearance, but I don't remember.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Thanks! Like I said, not looking to get too radical here, so I won't worry about it!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

yeah it will be determined by how much work your heads need and shop labor rate is what it is

i used double springs for a reason and I don't need them for the cam I have

your set up sounds good to go

I was just looking on Summit, and it looks like there are Flowtech shorty headers with 1 1/2" primaries, and they're pretty affordable too!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I think mine were 189.99 from late model.....
    Last edited by STANGMAN116; 11-01-2014 at 07:40 PM.

Those fit decent as well

The question was introduced in another thread about cams needing to be degreed. I didn't want to steer that thread off course, so I'm moving it here. Someone said all cams need to be degreed. Are we talking about aftermarket brands or does that include Ford parts? Like say if I used Ford Racing cam and timing set? Degreeing the cam just looks like a major PITA and something I would do wrong, so I'd like to avoid it if I can.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by zephyrefi View Post
    the question was introduced in another thread about cams needing to be degreed. I didn't want to steer that thread off course, so i'm moving it here. Someone said all cams need to be degreed. Are we talking about aftermarket brands or does that include ford parts? Like say if i used ford racing cam and timing set? Degreeing the cam just looks like a major pita and something i would do wrong, so i'd like to avoid it if i can.
    All!!
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

It is not really that hard.

If you find one you like and need help, PM me and I can take you through it step by step.

I will also get you a required tools list.

Steve
    BBD PERFORMANCE
    HIGH PERFORMANCE PARTS
    CUSTOM ENGINE BUILDS
    CUSTOM CAM DESIGNS
    1983 CRIMSON CAT OWNER

That's nice of you, thanks. Probably won't be looking to do anything until the spring, just making plans at this point.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Zephyr look up BAD SHOE PRODUCTIONS
    It's a how to series by master ford technician and he does a awesome job at taking it step by step in real time

he has how to rebuild the 302 with a explorer setup aftermarket cam and how to degree it how to change valve springs
    All the wiring pin outs and what they are has axle rebuild how to has trans rebuild how to

I'm a machinist by trade not a mechanic and I was able to do all the work from his videos I own all the measuring tools and the hardest part for me was time to do the wrenching

So look up bad shoe productions there's videos on you tube and the DVD set is worth the investment in my opinion

And yes degree all cams don't be afraid and take Steve's offer that's awesome of him
    Good luck with your build

Thanks Jerry! I actually used a Bad Shoe video to help me rebuild/set up my 8.8! It worked out great! I was very happy with it. I'd buy a video from him again in a heartbeat.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Get the one on rebuilding the motor it doesn't go into Pistons and bearings install or crank but everything else it will fit your need from what I read on your post it helps out quite a bit in my opinion

Thanks!

you know, more and more I'm thinking it would be a good idea to just tear this motor down and see what I have. I know it's on the high side for miles. I really want to avoid spending a crapload of money though... I'd like to get away with this heads and cam operation for less that $1000 if at all possible. That doesn't leave a lot of room for extras. We have too many other priorities coming up this next year to be nearly as extravagant as we were this past summer with the car. Hmmmm...
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I believe for 1 K it can be done
    I would consider buying a used roller cam but make sure it measures ok(cam bearing diameter) and it doesn't have visual defects rust pits nicks etc
    New or Rebuilt roller lifters ,New Timing Chain, gasket kit, springs for the heads (gasket match them if you desire) used headers, new water pump maybe new oil pump and leave room for possible new push rods call it a day and run it

I WOULD CHECK YOUR END PLAY OF YOUR CRANK AND I WOULD CHECK CROSS HATCHING IN CYLINDER WALLS IF THEY HAVE ANY CROSS HATCHING IF THEY DON'T THERES A FINE LINE OF EXPECTING TOO MUCH FROM A WORN BLOCK YOU COULD RUN A COMPRESSION TEST TO SEE IF THE RINGS ARE STILL SEALING BEFORE YOU TAKE IT APART BUT YOU MAY HAVE A HEAD GASKET LEAK AND YOU COULD BE THROWN OFF THINKING YOU NEED A REBUILD
    GOOD LUCK SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A GOOD PLAN

The "3 bar" gt40 heads are more sought after because they have a standard plug angle that won't interfere with most headers.
    In the junkyard, you will most likely find gt40p's good head but only a few headers will fit.
    I've used the ford racing made for this application, pricey but perfect fit and a well made header..
    Also used bbk unequal length shortys but had to use 90 degree plug boots and homemade shorty sockets to remove a couple plugs.
    I ran high 11s with a gt40p explorer longblock, stock with f-cam and springs, 150 shot of nitrous. If you use the f I'd have at least 3.73 gears.
    I'd run a good used b,e,f, trick flow 1 cam or similar.
    This was an efi car with a stock meter and 19s.

And even if you skip the cam degree, check your PTV clearance.

I'm in the capable hands of Ethyl Cat. He's going to prep some heads for me this year, and then the additional stuff like cam and tune will probably have to wait until next year. I don't want to half-ass it just to make a budget number, as I plan to keep this car. We're thinking custom cam at this point.

I did some more digging about GT40P heads and am now confident they will work with EGR, just like people are telling me in this thread. So, the car should run decently for this year just with the head swap. And then next spring we can really dial things in. Should be awesome.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

My EGR definitely works. Are you going to drill thermactor passages? If you're not going to run cats, and you're going to get a tune, then you might as well not bother.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Thermactor? No, that's one of the first things I did to this engine, dump and plug it. The cats are long gone too.

Gotta love being in a no-inspection state!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123