Close

Default choke cap isn't moving the plate..

I went to go outside to adjust my choke since it's getting colder out, and I loosened the screws, turned the choke cap but it's not making the plate move at all. It's like turning the cap does nothing. The plate is adjusted so it's almost completely closed for some reason. Now my choke doesn't want to let off, and when it does its extremely slow. I have a Holley 670 by the way.
    1985 GT with t tops

I think the aftermarket Holleys need a full 12V+ to the choke pull-off, whereas the original 4180 used a special Ford-style choke pull-off, which worked directly off of the alternator IIRC.
    '88 Mustang GT convertible, T5, 3.08:1 gears. 5.0 Explobra Jet: A9L Mass Air conversion, Fenderwell Mac cold air intake, 70mm MAF meter = 4.6 T-Bird/Cougar housing + '95 Mustang F2VF-12B579-A1A sensor, aftermarket 70mm throttle body and spacer, Explorer intakes, GT40P heads with Alex's Parts springs and drilled for thermactor, Crane F3ZE-6529-AB 1.7 "Cobra" roller rockers, Ford Racing P50 headers, Mac H-pipe, Magnaflow catback, Walbro 190 LPH fuel pump, UPR firewall adjuster and quadrant with Ford OEM cable, 3G conversion ('95 Mustang V6), Taurus fan, rolled on Rustoleum gloss white paint...
    Past Four Eyes: Red well optioned '82 GT 5.0, Black T-top '81 Capri Black Magic 3.3L 4 speed, Black T-top '84 Capri RS 5.0 5 speed.Over 200,000 miles driven in Four Eyes, and over 350,000 in Fox Body cars.

Aftermarket do need 12V, but turning the cap should still cause the choke plate to move. Sounds like it's
    either not the correct cap for the carb, or the bimetal spring is not engaged properly.

The Motorcraft carbs use a bimetal spring with a kind of hook on the free end. The hook engages in a slot
    in the arm inside the choke housing. The Holleys, including the 4180c, use a bimetal spring with a loop on
    the end. The loop fits over the tang on the arm.

Also, the bimetal springs in Motorcraft and Holley choke covers are wound in opposite directions. Using the
    wrong one will cause the choke to close as the spring heats up.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune