Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1980 Mustang Cobra

For Sale: 1980 Ford Mustang Cobra. 4.2L V8 Auto Transmission. Silver and black exterior with vaquero

interior. Original 49,000+ miles.

As stated by the previous owner, the car was wrecked in the front in 1982. The car was used as

practice for an auto shop in a school. Looks like the hood, windshield, front clip, and fenders were

replaced during this time. It appears they painted over the original paint. I know the car sat up for

a long time, as there were a lot of rust particles in the gas tank. I replaced the tank with a new

one, the carb was rebuilt, and all rubber gas lines were replaced. I replaced the fuel pump, the

ignition module, wires, plugs, distributer cap, rotor, and coil. I still have the original dated plug

wires and the original coil and original blue distributor cap. I even kept the original bad Dura spark

module. Valve cover gaskets have been replaced. Car runs great. Transmission shifts fine.

Electrically, everything works. However, there are some bulbs out on some of the dash gauges. All

gauges work. Heater works. A/C blows but not cold. Compressor does kick on, just no cold air. I

believe the brakes are still original and suspension parts as well. I do drive this car on occasion,

especially on the weekends, however I do not recommend driving this car long distances, the tires are

dated 1979 and are cracking. Car never overheats and does not smoke. As you can see from the

pictures, the paint is faded and only shines in some areas. This car is solid and has absolutely no

rot. There is some surface rust on some areas. Exhaust is original. There are some holes in the

exhaust system from age.

The interior is ultra clean. The dash pad only has cracks where the speaker holes are and nowhere

else. The carpet has faded and is brittle in some places especially in the back seat area. Some

plastic is sun faded and cracked. I replaced the driver side door panel with a NOS cobra door panel

two years ago. The passenger side door panel is faded. This car is a no console equipped car. The

seats are in excellent shape. It doesn’t appear like much sitting was done through the years. The

steering wheel looks brand new. The previous owner did install 6x9 speakers in the back unfortunately.

This car is not optioned with back speakers. The front speakers do not work and the original radio is

long gone, instead replaced with a cheap unit. The headliner material is faded and will need

replacement eventually. It appears the spare tire has never been used. I did purchase an extra TRX

wheel and tire that can be used as a spare along with the temporary one. I have kept this car in a

garage for the last 3 years. I never drive in the rain. I do wash it on occasion and it never leaks

water into the interior. The sun roof does not leak either.

I found the original build sheet under the carpet, so that is on hand. I also received a letter from

Ford stating the options that came with this vehicle. I have a clean title in hand.

I’m located in Shreveport, LA. I’m asking $6000.00 OBO
    Scott J Cordes Ph# 318-780-6083
    Attached Images Attached Images      

This car was previously owned by FEP member foxbodygirl: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ra-color-combo

scordes: I would like to see pics of the factory build sheet and the letter from Ford. Thanks.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Here is the letter from Ford and the build sheet. However I need to take a closer pic of the build sheet when I get a chance. Sorry.Name:  DSC03283.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  52.0 KBName:  DSC03283.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  52.0 KBName:  DSC03285.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  77.9 KBName:  DSC03285.jpg
Size:  77.9 KBName:  DSC03285.jpg
Size:  77.9 KBName:  DSC03284.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  71.9 KBName:  DSC03284.jpg
Views: 809
Size:  71.9 KB

That is an odd color combo to have vacquero interior.
    Current: 81 Cobra T Top, 79 Cobra.
    Past Toys: 1964 Falcon Vert, 1966 Mustang(owned twice), 70 Conv, 1978 Mustang II(first car), 80 Cobra, 81 Cobra, 82 GT T-Top, 85 GT 3,900 miles, 85 Predator/Twister 5S-0149, 86 Saleen 177, 86 SVO, 86 Mustang GT, 86 Mustang GT Vert, 87 Mustang GT, 89 Mustang Notch, 2003 Mustang GT Roush Clone, 2006 Mustang V6(Stainless Works LT's, MBRP cat back, 3.73's, tb, cai), and my favorite 2002 Mustang GT MPH 302 stroker, KB 2.2, TKO 500 640rwhp/591torque.

FYI: The rear louvers are not factory installed. The car did originally have rear speakers, which were standard with all "stereo" radios and is confirmed by the "4" speaker code on the build sheet.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by Predator5S-0149 View Post
    That is an odd color combo to have vacquero interior.
    Vaquero (code Z) interior trim was available with these exterior paint colors in 1980:

1G Silver Metallic
    2G Bright Bittersweet
    9D Polar White
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Thanks for the Info.

car looks great but has had a rough life right rear quarter looks to have been replaced also

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Good luck with the Cobra. The hood decal looks awesome
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 10-30-2014 at 08:46 PM. Reason: spelling

I love it, I just wish it was a turbo car, or That Ford would have offered a 4-speed with the 4.2. This would be a great car to restore, its begging for some Vaquero Recaro's.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Looks like a solid honest car. GLWS

I like the color combo. How bad was the hit? When you said they replaced the front clip is that strut tower's foward? Do you know if it took a hit in the passenger side quarter panel I see some screws in the moldings.

When I said front clip I meant just the very front cover only. Bumper assembly. Also, those screws you see in the molding were a terrible attempt to reinstall them. Thankfully it's only three pieces done that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast