Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    Love how people try to convince everyone that this the way to go. If I was worried about the maintenance free aspect, I sure wouldn't be shoving a Coyote in a fox for several thousand dollars when I could just go buy a new GT and drive it. Talk about maintenance free.
    I'm not trying to convince anyone to change there mind about what they like or want to do. I'm just calling it like i see it. I grew up on old school carbs,points ignition,4.56 gears with no overdrive and big nasty solid lifter cam cars. My DD is a 2013 Shelby GT500 with over 600rwhp,gets good MPG,rides like a Caddy and will smoke almost anything on the road that comes up beside me. So i've lived in both worlds and i still like the old school stuff but modern technology has given us huge HP engines that require little to no maintenance with awesome fuel economy. So why all the hate people????

Who's hating? I wasn't necessarily talking about your post, I see it all over the internet. I just don't understand trying to refine a fox so much, you can put a Coyote in one, but it's still a 36 year old chassis design that you can only do so much with. Would I like to have a Coyote? Sure, in one of the Mustangs it was factory installed in.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

Don't see why a bone stock e7 head 5.0 with a single turbo could not easily meet all the goals.
    The kit I got would easily keep up with a stock coyote.

http://www.cartech.net/fordtest.htm

Mine has crappy e6's, stock 55mm meter, stock injector, no tuning whatsoever in optioned out heavy Capri (with big
    subwoofer and small tool box) and ran time below on my 3rd pass with turbo kit.

Drives/idles/starts just like stock. Got 25 MPG highway with 2.73's when new, probably not that far off
    with 3.27's and the benefit of a 6 speed like new coyotes have (if I were to get one).

99% of the time, you are driving around in an essentially stock 5.0 EFI, which last time I checked
    easily go 100K doing nothing.

Now if your road racing, than by all means go coyote.
    86 Capri, 5.0, 5Spd, A9L QH/BE, 47 lb Inj PMAS 3" MAF, Single T44 Turbo, Front Mount IC, TW170,
    Stock Cam, Explr Intake/TB, 1.7 Rockers, CF dual friction clutch, 3" DP, 2.5" full Exh, 3.27, 11.932 @ 115.78
    84 LTD, 331-10:1, TW170/Exprl Intake, 47 lbs inj/80 mm LMAF, Full Duals, Quarterhorse, Vortech 7PSI, Lentech AOD, 5 lug Mk VII brakes/rear, Eibach Sway bars, Cobra HB (dads ride, but I fix it )

Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    Love how people try to convince everyone that this the way to go. If I was worried about the maintenance free aspect, I sure wouldn't be shoving a Coyote in a fox for several thousand dollars when I could just go buy a new GT and drive it. Talk about maintenance free.
    But the new GT weighs twice as much as a Fox (exaggeration). You could buy the nicest 4 cylinder Fox you could find (not anything that actually IS rare, unlike how every ad says their car is) and put a Coyote and full Maximum Motorsports suspension in it and still come in way less than a new GT. Sure, it's WORTH way less, but who thinks about that when they're modding their car? You'd end up with something in the middle of the spectrum. Not as cushy as a new one, and not as "original experience" as a bone stock Fox. Sounds great to me. New ones are big heavy boats, and as for the "original experience"? You can take your constant carb fiddling and rough ride and shove it where the sun don't shine, haha.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Forget that 2015, that was a mistake. I have yet to drive a 2014, but I can tell you that my 2004 rides and drives light years ahead of my 84 and it's based on the same chassis but is so much improved. If I was worried about gas mileage because it was a daily driver, I'd buy a used 2013 or 2014 and have something much more comfortable to boot. You can make a fox handle great, it will cost a ton of money and never have the ride of a newer car.

Oh, and my 84 has a carb and always will. In 260k I have rebuilt it once and I finally bought a new one for it. Between rebuild and replacement, I never touched it once. Never had to.
    1984 Mustang GT owned since 1991 (first car). Mercury Mountaineer GT-40P engine, some suspension mods, currently undergoing a five lug SN95 brake upgrade and more suspension mods. Some minor body and interior mods have been done as well.

2004 GT convertible, 2001 Taurus LX, 1994 F150, 1950 F-1 Ford Pickup

just build a modfox, cut the body off a shelby gt500 and stuff whats left into a fox mustang, call it fox 500
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

Well S197s are ALMOST as big and heavy, and with one of those, you lose the IRS.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Saw this sale and thought of this thread....

This Coyote killer will not get 25 mpg (but who really cares???)

Ford Racing 427 Z-Head Long Block Crate Engine - $8889 (free shipping)

Ford Racing brings high performance power to your next custom build. Perfect for street rods and kit cars, the 351 block-based Z-Head 427 crate engine has been engineered for drive-ability and durability, on road, and off.

535 horsepower @ 5600 rpm
    545 lb.ft. torque @ 4500 rpm

Features & Specifications Engine type: 351 based small block Ford
    # Displacement (cu in): 427
    # Bore x stroke (in): 4.125" bore x 4.00" stroke
    # Block: Boss 351 9.5 deck
    # Crankshaft: SCAT Forged Steel
    # Connecting Rods: SCAT forged steel H-beam connecting rods
    # Pistons: Forged Mahle w/ floating wrist pin
    # Camshaft type: Hydraulic Roller
    # Camshaft lift (in): .594"/.618"
    # Camshaft Duration (@.050 in): 242°/248°
    # Cylinder Heads (p/n M-6049-Z304DA): Ford Racing Aluminum "Z" Cylinder Heads
    # Valve size (in): 2.02 intake 1.60 exhaust
    # Compression ratio: 10.5:1 (nominal)
    # Rocker arms : Roller Rockers
    # Rocker arm ratio: 1.65:1
    # Vibration Damper - Ford Racing SFI Approved
    # Valve Covers: Ford Racing cast aluminum black wrinkle finish 427 Cobra Script
    # Water pump: included - long type - standard rotation
    # Includes Ford Racing M-9439-A50 intake manifold gaskets
    # Distributor: not included. MSD distributor #85840 recommended (dist. modifications for intake clearance necessary)
    # Recommended fuel: Premium Unleaded
    # Ignition timing: 32° at 4,000 RPM
    # Maximum recommended rpm: 5,600 RPM
    # Balanced: Internal - use neutral balance flywheel
    # Recommended intake: Edelbrock part # 2924 Super Victor (not included)
    # New block, oil and water pumps, performance oil pan and high-performance harmonic balancer
    # Can be used in kit cars, street rods, Mustangs, Fox-bodied cars and trucks

Now wouldn't you really prefer a Windsor!?

Mike Croke

An interesting engine certainly. Will not fit under a stock hood, still requires an induction $y$tem to support 535 hp, will struggle to pass emissions and costs a lot more than a coyote.

Those are some tall valve covers.
    Cheers!

Mike (TopGear85)

Have:
    85 Saleen #73-GT,2R,TuTone,Cruise,Pos,5spd,Charcoal
    ***August 2015 ROTM Winner!***

Had:
    79PC-San Jose #2890
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Sand Beige
    86GT-9L,TuTone,5spd,T-Tops,Charcoal
    90LX-Oxford Wht,5spd,Sunroof,5.0 Hatchback
    90GT-Oxford Wht,5spd

Well we were kind of bench racing last page....

Who cares about a stock hood, emissions, or a few thou?

FEP Power Member

Looks great Pacefever79. But the number of hoops we'd have to jump through to use that here in the peoples' republic of commiefornia would be ridiculous. Making the coyote the easier option.

But if one were building something pre-76 that Windsor would be an awesome choice. Maybe top it off with a Hilborn stack efi and stuff it into a Brookeville roadster body.

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    This Coyote killer will not get 25 mpg (but who really cares???)

Now wouldn't you really prefer a Windsor!?

Nope! I want driveability above all. I want a 1,000 mile drive to be able to happen at any moment. I want to not have to pop the hood for months. I'll take the coyote....and then a small single turbo one day to really embarrass your windsor.
    ** 89 LX 5.0 ** blower whine, better brakes, and faded paint

meanwhile back at the ranch..... lol

I care about the stock hood. Not emissions though
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

It occurs to me a class of vehicles which the crate Coyote engine can legally be swapped into in California: 1955 and older vehicles. '55 and back cars were not pollution controlled in California so anything goes for them. Now, California doesn't require the '56-'75 cars and trucks to go through emissions testing either but technically, we're not supposed to "tamper" with the emissions system that came on the car from the factory. Well, you know how that goes.

I wonder if a Coyote engine will physically fit in the engine bay of a '66 T-bird? I seem to recall the Coyote engine is wider than an FE engine even. At 5700lbs, a '66 T-bird needs a lot of torque to get it moving. The original 428 was rated at 345HP at 4600RPM, torque was 462 at 2800RPM. This was gross so I think the Coyote engine has it beat on HP but is down on torque. Any one know how much a Coyote engine weighs?
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    It occurs to me a class of vehicles which the crate Coyote engine can legally be swapped into in California: 1955 and older vehicles. '55 and back cars were not pollution controlled in California so anything goes for them. Now, California doesn't require the '56-'75 cars and trucks to go through emissions testing either but technically, we're not supposed to "tamper" with the emissions system that came on the car from the factory. Well, you know how that goes.

I wonder if a Coyote engine will physically fit in the engine bay of a '66 T-bird? I seem to recall the Coyote engine is wider than an FE engine even. At 5700lbs, a '66 T-bird needs a lot of torque to get it moving. The original 428 was rated at 345HP at 4600RPM, torque was 462 at 2800RPM. This was gross so I think the Coyote engine has it beat on HP but is down on torque. Any one know how much a Coyote engine weighs?
    I'm pretty sure it will go in a 66 T-bird because Gas Monkey Garage put one in a 66 Galaxie 500. The engine fully dressed weighs 444lbs.

Biting my tongue.... I guess I'm just too nostalgia for you guys.

I can't swap one of Ford's great engines for a new / great engine. I just can't do it! FE forever! I'd go 428 block, Edelbrock heads, mild cam, Edelbrock 2x4 intake, est 450HP/500TQ/12mpg

Who cares which one is better!?

Mine is cooler!!
    Last edited by PaceFever79; 11-01-2014 at 10:26 AM.

Mike Croke

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    .... Any one know how much a Coyote engine weighs?
    According to Ford, the weight is 444 lbs from throttle body to headers and including flywheel. They state the shipping weight is 553 lbs so figure their crate/pallet is about 110 lbs.

By comparison, Ford lists the shipping weight of the previously mentioned 427 535 hp engine at 590 lbs. Assume similar crate/pallet weight makes the 427 long block 480 lbs. This does not include induction, headers, or flywheel.

For rough numbers, I would guess the Coyote to be at least 100 lbs lighter than a complete aluminum head 351 engine.

Not saying you're wrong, just offering up what I found....

A 351w fully dressed with iron heads weighs 525 lbs (according to Car Craft and Hot Rod)

Subtract say 50lbs for aluminum heads? so about 450 lbs

(Add a few pounds for the Boss block and stroker crank)

Also interesting, alum block 4.6 DOHC weighs 521# dressed.

That's impressive they got the 5.0 down to 444#

Quote Originally Posted by PaceFever79 View Post
    Biting my tongue.... I guess I'm just too nostalgia for you guys.

I can't swap one of Ford's great engines for a new / great engine. I just can't do it! FE forever! I'd go 428 block, Edelbrock heads, mild cam, Edelbrock 2x4 intake, est 450HP/500TQ/12mpg

Who cares which one is better!?

Mine is cooler!!
    Now i have a soft spot for FE's also!! My dad bought a Mach 1 428 SCJ 4-speed Drag Pack brand new in 1969. He took me to my first day of school when i was 5 in 69 in that Mustang. Even at 5 i knew that car sounded different than other Mustangs that i would hear when riding with him. I'll never forget one day after picking me up from school a guy pulled up beside my dad in a bigblock 427 vette with sidepipes. I just remember how dam loud those pipes were just for a few seconds because my dad powershifted that toploader 4 speed like Ronnie Sox blowing past that vette!! I remember him telling me not to go home and tell my mom he was racing lol. I never did and there are many stories i could tell you about my dad racing those bad ass FE big blocks. Helping a friend now as we speak assemble a 4x2 427 tunnel port to go in a 64 Thunderbolt clone. But i still love this new Coyote too.....

Imagine if you will.... An intake patterned similar to the coyote intake for the 302/351w crowd. Should give you more hood clearance and look damn cool... The old 86 and up EFI set-up is old and dated.....
    Scott
    Picayune,MS 39466
    Torch Red 2004 Mach 1 Mustang
    Silver 85 GT
    Previous set up...
    306, Lunati flat tappet, Eddy Performer Heads, RPM intake, Holley 650DP, Shorty Headers, Flowmasters, 3.73, T5. 12.92 @109

Current set up,,,
    408w, Internally balanced Scat rotating assy, Comp Hyd roller, Brodix heads, eddy air gap RPM intake, PowerjectionIII EFI, Longtube 1-3/4 headers, Flowmasters, 3.55 Cobra 31 spline diff w/Moser axles, TKO 600 5spd, Mcleod dual disc street clutch... ET... Traction Limited 11.93 @120mph

Quote Originally Posted by jsfrv6 View Post
    Imagine if you will.... An intake patterned similar to the coyote intake for the 302/351w crowd. Should give you more hood clearance and look damn cool... The old 86 and up EFI set-up is old and dated.....
    There must be a reason why someone hasn't done it yet. Or even a 4.6 style. My guess is complexity and price.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast