Close

Default 79 Mustang steering wheel removal help

I have tried everything to try to remove the steering wheel I've took off the center nut and went through about 2 cans of wd-40 and broke 3 steering wheel pullers... is there something I'm overlooking that is holding it on

the old shcool method is to install the nut flush with the top of the threads, using your free hand and your knees to put upward pressure on the wheel, then hit the nut pretty good with a hammer, it may take a few blows with the hammer but the wheel should pop off.

somebody will probably say don't do it but fwiw I've never used a steering wheel puller.
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"

Ive tryed that also... I even took a ratchet strap put it around the steering wheel and went through the rear windows and put some good pressure on it and tried a air hammer and still nothing

LOL, we need pictures of that, seriously I don't know,maybe somebody put locktite on it,you could try a liitle heat with the hammer method, just be careful and not melt anything.

a air hammer won't be enough force, just use a large regular hammer, whack it a few times.
    Last edited by FM2NOTCH; 10-21-2014 at 09:59 AM.
    *FOXTOBERFEST* 2015 http://www.foxmustangrestoration.com/events
    85 T Top coupe 5.0 2R red, E7's, rpm intake, 4180 carb, 7.4 1/8
    83 CC capri 5.0 5 speed,black mesh wheels
    76 cobra II 302 auto black/gold, big cam 3 inch dumps- sold to a good friend
    92 coupe 5.0 5 speed -red
    92 Lx hatch 5.0 5 speed -black, 66 coupe 5.0 4 spd (project)
    87 Vert 5.0 AOD red stock as a rock

" Are you sure you know what you're talking about? It kinda sounds like you know what you're talking about"