Close

Default 79 fairmont interior option questions

I have owned several 79-80 fairmonts and all of them had a 2 spoke steering wheel a solid bench seat (except my boxtop that has buckets ) and door panels that stop about 2" from door sill and that's painted int color. My wagon is a squire that I thought was the top trim level but today I ran across a 79 wagon non squire in our local jy. it had a 4 spoke ltd typre steering wheel, fold do wn armrest frt bench with 2 ashtrays in rear of it and the door panels wraped all the way up the door like the mustangs. 9x9 vin so it was a 79 for sure. Also no bumperettes on rear bumper and no rub strips on either , it also has real shaggy style carpet like the later lincolns and ltds. Did they option with these parts? I searched the web but turned up nothing. Just wondering..... My 80 future was identical to my squire interior wise.
    John
    85 gt ttop
    86 coupe
    89 5.0 lx vert
    90 LX Hatch
    05 Power Stroke

It seems like even with higher trim levels, they left a lot of things optional. Witness the wide range of Mustang Ghias you see. And my ES is apparently well optioned because stuff like the Mustang 6 gauge package and full door panels were apparently optional, but my car has them.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

That is wild! wasn't it so much cooler back then you could truly make a car your own unlike today where you has just a couple if any options to pick from.thanks for that info I knew someone here would know.
    John
    85 gt ttop
    86 coupe
    89 5.0 lx vert
    90 LX Hatch
    05 Power Stroke

Man, looking at those brochures with all the Turbo hoods shown... SO MUCH WANT. I'll bet there's more than enough room for a 351 under one of those!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Yes, one of the things that disgusts me so much about the current state of new car buying, is the lack of choice
    that used to be commonplace on even cheap new cars. The car companies have adopted the cable TV marketing
    model, making everyone chose bundle x, y, or z, and taking extra stuff you don't want, in order to get things you
    do want.

One reason I haven't bought a new car since 2000, and have no intention of doing so any time soon...
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'85 GT Hatch, 5-speed T-Top, Eibachs, Konis, & ARE 5-Spokes ... '85 GT Vert, CFI/AOD, all factory...
    '79 Fairmont StaWag, 5.0, 62K original miles ... '04 Azure Blue 40th Anny Mach 1, 37K original miles...
    2012 F150 S-Crew 4x4 5.0 "Blue Coyote"... 65 coupe, 289 auto, Pony interior ... '67 coupe 6-cyl 4-speed ...
    '68 Vert, Mexican block 307 4-speed... '71 Datsun 510 ...
    And a 1-of-328 Deep Blue Pearl 2003 Marauder 4.6 DOHC, J-Mod, 4.10s and Lidio tune

Wow, I never knew there were turbo hoods!...My Zephyr wagon has an upgraded interior, probably because it's a Villager/Ghia optioned car. I've replaced the dash board since this pic was taken...Name:  Wagon2.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  123.3 KB

My Boxtop has crushed velour seats, never saw any F/Z with that before! I'll post some pics, looks pretty cool.
    1985 Mercury Marquis LTS... "The Unicorn"
    1978 Fairmont... 306 and a C4.

Mike1157

All I know is that I have a 1978 Futura sport coupe.

The 1978 brochure didn't show that model as even offered.

I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by ukravit View Post
    Nothing says "the future" like wire wheel covers and vinyl roof. Another highlight: For your driving pleasure, the 2.3L OHC 4 cylinder.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by 688guy View Post
    Wow, I never knew there were turbo hoods!...My Zephyr wagon has an upgraded interior, probably because it's a Villager/Ghia optioned car. I've replaced the dash board since this pic was taken...Name:  Wagon2.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  123.3 KB
    That is absolutely amazing! This is the first steering wheel of that style I've seen that isn't cracked and crumbling to dust. Even the original one in my '82 Cougar wagon which the original owner kept garaged for the first 20 years of its life was cracked and falling a part.

Nice!
    Proud owner of the one and only Friggin' Futura

Don't forget the top o' the line "flight" bench seat! sweeeeeeeet. At least it's cloth.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

When they came out back in 78 they were pretty snazzy. It replaced the Maverick which was a spartan offering.
    Bucket seats were kind of low brow in a non sporty car and vinyl was on the cheaper side. The only other cars with cloth type interior that were not old folks cars were things like the Trans Am. So it seemed upscale for a cheaper price.
    I was in High school when they came out and it was a big yawn to us.
    I am on my 4th one now.

When they came out back in 78 they were pretty snazzy. It replaced the Maverick which was a spartan offering.
    Bucket seats were kind of low brow in a non sporty car and vinyl was on the cheaper side. The only other cars with cloth type interior that were not old folks cars were things like the Trans Am. So it seemed upscale for a cheaper price.
    I was in High school when they came out and it was a big yawn to us.
    I am on my 4th one now.
    I'd love to see pics of your others! Your current one sure is nice! But make no mistake. I intend to own a bench seat car someday so I can cruise with my lady right next to me! Maybe when I get myself a Marquis wagon...
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Mike1157

I was 2 years out of school when they first debuted the model. It wasn't until Glidden, and Nicholson campaigned them as pro stock drag cars that I started wanting one. Almost bought a brand new 81 black Fairmont Futura w/ the turbo'd 4, but opt'd for a Chrysler instead.
    ( Back then, we decided that an 81 Dodge Challenger (aka a Mitsubishi) was a better car. )
    Since then, I've had 6 including the current one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1157 View Post
    I've had 6 including the current one.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Cool! Super clean! Did you do that taillight treatment?
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I have a 79 Fairmont Ghia 4dr that has the red velour seats like the pictured wgn.
    It also has the deluxe steering whl. (they came std w/cruise control.) It is still in good condition except for a couple cracks.
    It has the vents that replace the rear side fixed glass, Power windows and frt vent windows too.
    Loaded to the gunwalls for an F/Z....but, no vinyl top and a 6cyl.

Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean_T View Post
    That is absolutely amazing! This is the first steering wheel of that style I've seen that isn't cracked and crumbling to dust. Even the original one in my '82 Cougar wagon which the original owner kept garaged for the first 20 years of its life was cracked and falling a part.

Nice!
    Well, the pics are a tad misleading, the wheel actually does have several cracks in it...